What's new

Amsterdam -> Walibi World

Danzibarr

Mega Poster
I'm going to Amsterdam with a friend tomorrow ( :--D ), and didn't realise until today how near it was to Walibi World, well around an hour drive.

Obviously I'm not taking my car over so we'll be relying on public transport from Amsterdam to Walibi World .. just wondering if anybody here has managed this and has any tips?

From research it seems we'll have to get the train to Harderwijk (there's a transfer in that journey), then get the Walibi World Express bus from there. All seems a little confusing with pricing and etc, but now I know it's possible I can't miss this opportunity!

Any help, or general envy is most welcome :lol:

Dan

ryan462

Hyper Poster
I done this trip in August so I should be able to help :)

You have to get to Amsterdam Central station which is very easy to get to as most trams and busses from around the city go there. Once there you buy a return ticket to Harderwijk.
The first journey goes from Amsterdam Central to Amserfoot station, then you swap platforms and get the train from Amserfoot to Harderwijk. The total train time is about 1 hour. Once you arrive, you walk out the station and in the small car park there is two bus stops and one of them is the Walibi Express. The bus leaves the station every 30mins apart from on busy days when theres two busses.

The journey is really easy and it was helped by the fact that everyone I spoke to out there knew English and were eager to help.

A few tips:
-If theres two of you, they offer a train ticket deal which allows you to pay the same amount as two single tickets but you get to go the whole journey first class :) - it will probably be advertised or they will tell you about it if the deal is still on
-On the walibi bus, you can buy a combined ticket that is a return bus ticket and entry. This is worth it as it saves you 4 euro's and you don't have to queue to get in
-Enjoy x

Danzibarr

Mega Poster
Cheers mate, very helpful!

Can you literally just pay for the return journey for the train with cash? All the websites talk about having a chip card or a strippen thingy, or is that just an option?

Also, any idea of how much you payed for the train? My web hunting has found that the bus and themepark ticket will be 28.50 euros

Sorry for all the questions, I'm all excited now :lol:

Dan

WuTang2k2

Roller Poster
How did this all work out for you then?

Last time I went, it just seemed ridiculously expensive (Train, bus, and park entrance), and quite a long journey. It just didn't seem worth it at all, especially when the only decent rides are Goliath and maybe Robin Hood too.

The train seemed to be about €15 each, or something - expensive!

I thought you could buy park tickets on board the bus, but when I went it seemed the bus driver simply did not even hold cash, and told us and others to go and get a bus ticket from the shop in the train station. The rest of the people seemed to have a ticket printed out from the Walibi website, which allowed them to get on board for free.

The entrance into the park was around €32 or something too, which is really expensive especially with the current exchange rates.

Danzibarr

Mega Poster
Worked out surprisingly well! We saved it 'till our last full day to see how much money we had left, although I had made sure I would have enough cos i really wanted to go :lol:

Cost 21.50 for the train return (per person), and 28.50 for bus and park combined ticket, so 50 Euros total, plus about a million euros for some chips at the park. I payed by cash on the bus and it was all fine. Even train transfers are easy just because public transport over there actually works! Saying that, on the way home we did get off at the wrong station to switch trains at, which was, for a few minutes, very scary. Total journey time was about 1 hour 30 minutes.

haha looking back, and considering the exchange rate, we payed about £45 to go to a flamingoland type park, but whilst we were away we were somehow happy to allow 80-90 euros per day..was a good holiday though :wink:

I did a little report here: http://www.coasterforce.com/forums/view ... hp?t=27304

Dan

andrus

Giga Poster
WuTang2k2 said:
How did this all work out for you then?

Last time I went, it just seemed ridiculously expensive (Train, bus, and park entrance), and quite a long journey. It just didn't seem worth it at all, especially when the only decent rides are Goliath and maybe Robin Hood too.

The train seemed to be about €15 each, or something - expensive!

I thought you could buy park tickets on board the bus, but when I went it seemed the bus driver simply did not even hold cash, and told us and others to go and get a bus ticket from the shop in the train station. The rest of the people seemed to have a ticket printed out from the Walibi website, which allowed them to get on board for free.

The entrance into the park was around €32 or something too, which is really expensive especially with the current exchange rates.
Huh?! :? Do you find 32 euros expensive when a park like alton towers who are lacking big rides like goliath charges you with 30 £ for the entrance?? Looking at it in a bigger perspective almost all major parks in europe cost about 30 euro to enter the park, I don't see why this particular park (with one of the best rides in the world) is more expensive then the others?

Emmett

Giga Poster
^Yes I agree, €32 for Walibi is very good value especially compared to other parks in Europe and the UK. I remember I paid a little less than that and it included the shuttle bus so I had no complaints.

I also didn't find the train that expensive compared to other European countries and it was alot cheaper than the same distance you would get from a train in the UK.

Sam

Giga Poster
Can you get stoned in the park?

That's a serious question btw, do they let you smoke in the park?

Danzibarr

Mega Poster
Sam said:
Can you get stoned in the park?

That's a serious question btw, do they let you smoke in the park?

Haha technically it's illegal to do weed over there, but authority are ok with it if its dealt and smoked in coffee shops .. thats what my guidebook said! Saying that, everyone was doing it everywhere and nobody seemed to care.. didn't see/smell anyone doing it in the park though

andrus

Giga Poster
Well, it's illegal unless smoked in a coffeshop wit a speciel permission. But I guess "everybody" does it so the authorities don't care that much.. Not really sure.