What's new

Alton Towers | Wicker Man | GCI Wood

Lofty

CF Legend
I don't think he actually meant that he didn't understand WHY it does it, more a case of it being very rare. In which case, it really is.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
It's simply to play around with the height restrictions that the towers has.

The rides tallest part is hidden in the trees, which is probably the only area they can get up to that height, but in order to do so, the ride has to have a weird shaped lift to fit the station and prelift section in where they wanted it. It makes a lot more sense when you see it in person.

spicy

Giga Poster
I dont think the lift hill looks that weird. The shallow incline would have lended itself quite nicely to a little launch though so its a shame they didn't capitalise on that.

AT have recently added screens into the construction wall which is pretty cool. Guess they will be posting updates themselves onto these.

20292657_2041042095921742_8968687242508574719_n.jpg

scw55

Hyper Poster
Anyone else gets a sense that "ground breaking" will be a pun of sorts? I know AT likes to hype their SW's, but I wonder if the choice of words was deliberate.

musicjoe12

Roller Poster
AT will over hype it, they always do, look at th13teen, well that over hypes it for a start SW, its just the same old thing, SW make sit sound like to be the best ride in the world, it should have stopped at air, well not even air oblivion because i'm talking SW the good rides. But yeah it needs to stop look at thorpe, project Dylan, who would think that would come out to be as saw the ride.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I don't think he actually meant that he didn't understand WHY it does it, more a case of it being very rare. In which case, it really is.
Lofty is spot on. I understand the height restrictions and the constraints that are driving the change in grade - it's just extremely rare.

Dave

CF Legend
As much as this won't be a world beater I am still looking forward to seeing how this develops, still can't really believe a new wooden roller coaster is being built in the UK! It's something that has been heavily rumoured for well over ten years!

Hopefully it will be like most GCI's and the pace keeps up throughout the ride.

Sandman

Giga Poster
If Merlin market this towards the correct target audience (cough, Thirteen, cough) then it should be a pleasant surprise. Don't think the word has spread about this ride amongst the wider GP at the moment, so at least the hype train isn't going off the rails just yet. Unless you're park of the Theme Park Fans Facebook group (where this ride is considered the second coming of Christ) then expectations are probably fairly low.

scw55

Hyper Poster
Or market it as "World's First Lovely Looking Rollercoaster!!!"

This is why I haven't got a career in marketing. I would be to the point.

SW8 is coming out 2018! It's made of wood and some metal. It's fun!

Martyn B

CF Legend
I like the look of the drop into that pit, just a shame that the turn before hand isn't really banked at all, and that's not like GCI really.

Yeah this clearly isn't going to set the world alight, but I'm dead excited for it.