What's new

Alton Towers - what would you do next?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Remove the Flume and replace it with Boulder Dash moved over from Lake Compounce. ;)

Other than that, I'd go with Joey actually - he pretty much mirrors my ideas for Alton 100%.

[/lazy post]

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
1- Change Duel back to the Haunted House-

Duel is soooooo LAME. They ripped out all the eye candy and atmosphere of the HH and replaced it with tiny green lights. Shooting them is NOT my idea of fun! I'd love to see the ride revert to its former glory. It really was great. I feel sorry for some of the younger park goers who never experienced it.

2- Bring B&M home-

A floorless coaster or new ride concept to really knock everyone's socks off. Sounds like B&M are working on a new ride concept at present. It's been too long since Alton got a B&M and air just didn't cut the mustard imo. There are no other coasters quite like a B&M;- they're so smooth to ride, so solid in structure and ridiculously sexy/impressive to look at. Some might say AT are running out of space for such installations but if you look at what percentage of the grounds are actually used for rides vs what is not there is room for debate on this matter. A coaster could be built on Spinball's ground, they could negotiate to build on some other area.

3- Get Wood-

A woodie is the most obvious omission of the park. How about going all-out and building something really innovative and unique like Alton's coasters of yore? A partially submerged installation (for the purposes of drop height) heavily themed spook coaster replete with plenty of dry ice on the track. Man that would be wicked, s'wonder they did not pump some of that stuff through the dark Forrest sections of 13.

nealbie

CF Legend
Tear down Th13teen, sack Wallace (I mean Wardley :roll: ), "discover" - "uncover" - "trip over" a new ride and build that!

Theming is now irrelevant if that's all they're going to do - SW7 better be a proper roller coaster and not a Tivoli on Tesco Value steroids!

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Angry Neal is angry :lol:

I'd rather sack the silly marketing people who decided to put the advertising in such a way to make a family based coaster seem more than it is...

'Ride into the Unknown' as the total ad campaign would have worked... Should've left it at that...

Jools

Giga Poster
Neal said:
SW7 better be a proper roller coaster and not a Tivoli on Tesco Value steroids!

Hahaha, brilliant.

On the MTDP map, there was plentry of room behind air, inbetween Gloomy Woods and next to Rita for a new coaster, only problem is I wouldn't like to see three coasters crambed together like that, so Gloomy Woods coaster it would have to be, that was where Rita was origionally ment to go but with broomstick cars I think.

I also think a water ride would suite the backend of Dark Forest, oh plus they need to do something with Black Hole, seriously!

slappy mcguire

Mega Poster
A dark spinner, for the black hole area, up to Crush's Coaster or Rock 'n' rollercoaster standards. Also would like to see Alton have their own version of Mumbo Jumbo, just for a comparatively cheap, differing coaster experience for the park. Only trouble is he height of the damn thing, I don't know whether Alton would pay to bury (A-la Nemmie) what they would just see as a wild mouse.

nealbie

CF Legend
UC said:
For those of you talking about a Mega-Lite, they just opened one the other day, didn't they? Doesn't it have numbers in its name or something?

:)

2010 has been kind to my opinions of you - good effort!

But they shouldn't attempt for a Mega-Lite OR a woodie. They need something more! One is too small, the other too loud. Solution? GO HYPER!

Alton could quite easily (in the unlikely event of planning permission being allowed in the valley), make the UK's tallest roller coaster. An Intamin Hyper with sweeping turns and lots of airtime - not unlike Boulder Dash I suppose, but made of steel - it would be quieter and the layout would be somewhat awesome no doubt (not to mention spiteful to Blackpool :p ).

Obviously, not including the somewhat awful restrictions on valley times; construction would almost certainly be a logistical nightmare :lol:

But so are the other options, and I know which of the three (if offered them) I'd go for. ;)

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
slappy mcguire said:
A dark spinner, for the black hole area, up to Crush's Coaster or Rock 'n' rollercoaster standards.

I was about to say that another spinner would be silly, but actually...

Would Spinball fit in the old Black Hole tent? Get some decent lighting and effects going and free up the space it currently sits on. X-Sector is horrible. It always has been, so a "new" coaster in the Black Hole tent and a general sprucing up of the (lack of) theme would be nice.

The EMV idea won't ever happen. The last one to be built cost $50 million and that's with a much cheaper, Korean labor force. The same thing at Alton would cost even more, and there's no way they'd cough up that kind of cash.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry Gavin, Spinball is roughly 11 feet taller than Black Hole was I'm afraid. I suspect it would be too tight a squeeze. Though they could dig it down a little - but I think that whole thing just wouldn't work, with Spinball's footprint being less compact.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Yeah, I really had no clue on actual size of either. Black Hole always felt, to me at least, like a much "bigger" coaster than Spinball.

Just goes to show how good it really was.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Sunken drop tower in X Sector.

Woody in the valley :(

Double drop into the valley, sweeping turns and brilliant pacing.

Smithy

Strata Poster
It's an internet discussion.

I'm not actually saying it's going to happen.

And yes, it's fairly nailed on that nothing will be going on in the valley bar a bit of dogging for the foreseeable future. Which is a massive shame as the potential is immense.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
UC said:
Hasn't it been more or less established by now that it's going to be a while before Alton gets in to that valley in any significant sense?

We're waiting for a convenient fire in the valley, or some kind of mysterious disease which affects several species of trees and all of the locals ;)

Next (bigish) coaster is likely to be Coaster Corner, or replacing the Flume. I reckon we'll be lucky to see more than one coaster before 2020.

There may be some room between Forbidden Valley and Gloomy Wood - bit it sits on the edge of the listed/protected area, so planning will be very tough to get over.

There's the chance on the car park by air though.

I think to be honest, it will just be re-themes, tarts ups and a few replacement flats for the next few years.

That's what I'd do :p

I'd certainly not change Duel back to the Haunted House, I wouldn't want to put anyone through that pile of drudgery again - it was so boring. There was a reason before the make-over that nobody rode on it, it was dull as dishwater and everyone was bored of it.

Sorry if it sullies people's fantastic memories of the ride, but it really wasn't that great - the memory of the ride is greater than the ride itself was: beware nostalgia.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
furie said:
There was a reason before the make-over that nobody rode on it, it was dull as dishwater and everyone was bored of it.

Problem is Duel hardly ever has a queue unless it's raining :lol:

And when it's Duel:Live... But that might be the lure of Halloween...

Smithy

Strata Poster
UC said:
It's an internet discussion.

I'm not actually saying it's going to happen.

I wasn't targeting you, I was asking a question about something that I believed I had an inkling of, but that I wasn't 100% sure about.

However, since you've engaged that particular discussion...I'm just curious. What exactly is the benefit of discussing something you know for sure won't happen?

Because the question wasn't what will Alton do, it's what would you do. The chances of my ideas being implemented are long enough, let alone me actually undertaking them.

marc

CF Legend
What would I do next.

Well I would build a thrill coaster simply put.

A woody is what Alton needs and I hope they get.

andrus

Giga Poster
I agree to everyone else who say that alton should get a woodie. Some decent flats wouldn't hurt either (and get rid of the old ones).

elmerfudd

Mega Poster
1.) X Sector - Remove the Black Hole tent. Its vile. replace that with an interactive dark ride, similar to duel, and on that note, change duel back to a haunted house, but better than what it was before.
Completly rip out submission. Its just painful. I would invest in a small childrens flat to replace it.

2.) Keep the flume. Its awesome. As it is, its 1 of a kind in england, with the bath tubs. It gets alot of guests in the summer and replacing it with another coaster, for the time being, would be silly. If they were going to construct a woody they would have built it in the dark forest, but went for thirteen instead. But I do agree they should change the theme to pirates.

3.) Everything else is fine as it is. Just a lick of paint here and there, top up on the themes and I think its good as gold.