What's new

Alton Towers - Updated LTDP

The Grape Wizard

Hyper Poster
Didn't know where to post this so I thought I'd make a topic. Alton Towers have updated their Long term development plan, Important points are:
- Hint of a Cross Valley roller coaster. A cross valley woodie was planned for 2005/06 but was scrapped so could this be the return?
-Removal of Spinball

Quoted from TowersTimes:http://old.towerstimes.co.uk/news/n...=1352480129&archive=&start_from=&ucat=1,3,10&

Increase/maximise overnight stays;
Some Major Rides;
Refresh existing themed areas;
Develop a year round destination (winter market/provide ‘all weather’ products);
Improve product offer (increase choice and extend the appeal of the Resort beyond the core ‘Theme Park’ and develop evening entertainment options);
Improve visitor circulation within site;
Entertain different groups of people and age profiles (family, teenager and young children);
Heritage investment and woodland management;
Car park improvements; and
Transport investment (non car modes, public transport, and traffic management)
The Document also states that investments will be made in Phases, as of the present date (09/11/2012) Phase 1 has begun with the construction of the Resorts new Secret Weapon Ride (SW7 - View more about the ride at our mini site) and will continue with the resorts proposal to install a new set of Family Lodges to the east of the Alton Towers Hotel, along with new parking areas around said area, this will tackle the issues of Increasing overnight stays to staple the resort as a multi-day attraction, as well as to improve parking.
As well as hotel developments, Areas hinted for development include Adventureland with the removal of the spinning coaster “Sonic Spinball”

Phase 2 will be implemented from 2014-2019;
Some more important and interesting points within the Document regarding Phase 2 hint at the idea of a Cross Valley roller coaster, hinted for a construction date of 2019, along with this a new park entrance is proposed to the east of Duel potentially with the new “Parking Cell” idea.

Refurbishment of current themed areas look at Katanga Canyon as a prospective retheme, and certain rides have been listed as needing replacement as they reach the end of their planned life, these include “Ripsaw” “The Flume” and “The Blade”.

A new entertainment area as well as ride development prospects are expected to the East of Air, potentially making the Hotels more of an Entertainment complex for those having overnight stays.
This information provides a fantastic outlook of how the resort intend to move the park forwards over the next few years and is definitely worth a look.
Link to the Official site:http://www.altontowersheritage.com/development/article.asp?articleid=146

Smithy

Strata Poster
This is likely to include Ripsaw, the Flume and Blade. In
addition two large attractions/rides are likely to be developed in 2016 and
2019 (one of which may include a ride across the valley between UG Land to
the Forbidden Valley) resulting in approximately six new or replacement medium
to large attractions

Page 37, if anyone is interested

Also states that Spinball will be removed in the second stage (2013-2019),

rich210uk

Mega Poster
Option 4: high investment
7.7 In this scenario, further development would take place with the objective of
achieving 3.6M admissions annually. The main changes in comparison to the
medium investment option would be investment in larger coasters
(faster/higher) and a further hotel/overnight accommodation (for example a
200 bedroom budget hotel). This would allow for more significant investment in
local infrastructure including contributions to a new access road sinking fund, if
a suitable route is available for which permission to build can be obtained.
Local economic impacts and heritage investment could increase. The high
growth scenario would place additional traffic on the local network at peak
times and would result in significantly higher levels of visual impacts, notably
from the larger scale coasters proposed. While this option might appear
attractive commercially, it could lead to unwanted effects in terms of on-park
congestion and would also drive a larger day visitor market (because of the
scale of ride investment). For these reasons, the commercial attractiveness of
the option in terms of future viability is ranked no higher than the medium
growth option.

Are these options something that Alton Towers themselves put forward or are the recommendations from a third party? Its a shame that future large coasters are not likely to be part of their plans, unless I’ve got the wrong end of the stick here :) To me, this high investment option sounds good, budget hotel and big rides! I can only assume Alton don’t want mass day visitors due to traffic in the area and congestion in the park.

peep

CF Legend
^It sounds like the sort of thing they would love to do but know they wouldn't be able to get away with doing due to the neighbours and the road congestion. It does mention about the new road though which should have happened years ago.

Some interesting bits and pieces in there, especially as a lot of it was what we were all saying was missing in the new accommodation topic. Interesting that they're still wanting a valley coaster. I thought they had worked out they wouldn't get permission for one?

Smithy

Strata Poster
I'd guess it won't be until 2019 that they're looking at for that one (with the 2016 ride being either flumes replacement on a decent scale given Spinballs spot will sit empty) so they may have restrictions that relax on a certain date, agreements with people, something of the sort.

Or it's put in there as a teaser.

A

Anonymous

But will spinballs spot sit empty, the LTDP says nothing above 5m, that's 15/20ft, but if alton dig down, a family coaster of around 30ft or so could be fit into the area :)

Mike

Giga Poster
The map on page 49 makes for some very interesting viewing, even seeming to contradict the report by saying "relocation of Spinball Whizzer" instead of "removal".

Frank

Roller Poster
I hope they renovate the flume rather than removing it completely. If it were a bit smoother it'd be one of the best flumes I've been on.

It's also the most terrifying. *QUACK*

The Grape Wizard

Hyper Poster
I disagree. I think the Flume has run its course now and needs to replaced by a better family water ride.
It's getting boring and the track is as grotty as the station. The only 'good' part of the ride is the final drop, and even that's just ok. It's bee around for a long time and made riders smile but it needs to go now, the part through the forest is so pointless and boring and adds nothing to the ride.

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
I hope they renovate the Flume, getting rid of it would be pointless unless a better replacement was found. Spinball can go.

Ethan

Strata Poster
I'm pretty sure the Flume is still very popular so I doubt they will get rid of it in the near(ish) future. Hopefully they'll give it a repaint and a little tlc...

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster
The flume is sorta popular but going past it the other week, it truely looks disgusting. So dirty I didn't even want to ride it. At this time it might be easier just to build another water attraction. Is that water coaster ever gonna happen, would ideal. Especially if they inclosed it and made it so you don't get soaked, could be world famous.

Ben

CF Legend
Seeing how closely they stuck to the last plan, I predict absolutely none of this will happen.

Jake

Strata Poster
Half of it we've heard a million times before, and the other half is very vague stuff (transport, guest circulation etc) that can't really be measured anyway.

I still don't really get the whole idea of moving the entrance either... Towers Street and the lake bit are the only areas of the park that can deal with the large volume of people moving in and out. The thought of everyone flooding in to the bottom of Forbidden Valley (or even worse, Gloomy Wood) is just putrid. Then you'd end up with a bare area where the old entrance is, which is far too near other civilisation to ever have anything decent built there anyway <///3. It's just, loads better to have everyone shoved in to a neutral part of the park rather than one particular 'area', especially when considering how cramped the other areas are already!

What a load of poo.

spicy

Giga Poster
They do need to create some sort of entrance/exit by air though, I realised just how easy it is to walk from air to the hotels when the exit was in use for fireworks night.

It's literally a 5 minute walk to splash landings from Air with the exit in use. The fact that when it isn't in use requires a walk back to towers street to then queue for the monorail such as scarefest requires is ridiculous

Maybe even if they made it a hotel guest only exit/entrance, I could see that working..

Tomatron

Giga Poster
As Bake and Jen have said, whether any of this happens is another story.

Having the entrance where it is currently is good for crowd management, as long as it's ran well and there's enough employees to staff the ticket booths, monorail, crowd control, every logistical aspect of the start and the end of the day when you're entering and leaving the resort. I can't see them moving the entrance anywhere else, as you would have to construct brand new shops, restaurants, cash machines and everything else which you need at the entrance/exit of the park to generate revenue, as well as the rest of the infrastructure required. An extra exit by Forbidden Valley at the end of the day could be an alternative for people not wanting to queue for the monorail, but if it wouldn't benefit the park financially because people aren't buying food, drink or merchandise on the way out, then they probably won't do it.

Katanga Canyon does need a spruce up IMO, it's looking a bit tired and weary. Ripsaw and the Blade are both knocking on a bit and they could both be taken out for something else. I'd like to see another flat ride as Alton Towers is lacking a really good one - their best outdoor flat ride at the park is the teacups.

The resort enhancement will most likely happen, and I can see a couple of extra additions to attract more people year round when the main theme park is shut.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I'm with Jake. You cannot make a viable entrance to anyone but hotel guests over the other side of the park without drastically changing one of those areas, which there wouldn't be the space or funding to do. Even forgetting something as boring as the fact there's no space for an entrance amount of people to come in all at once and stand, hovering about, over there, it would be tragic if people weren't forced through the current picturesque scene.

I can't see them moving the entrance anywhere else, as you would have to construct brand new shops, restaurants, cash machines and everything else which you need at the entrance/exit of the park to generate revenue
They wouldn't build any of that if they did do another entrance. It would just literally be a entrance gate.

marc

CF Legend
If they don't build another entrance by air I wish wish they would open the gate when the park closes.

We always tend to finish in that area and its just silly that you have to get back to the front of the park to go all the way back round again.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
Joey said:
I can't see them moving the entrance anywhere else, as you would have to construct brand new shops, restaurants, cash machines and everything else which you need at the entrance/exit of the park to generate revenue
They wouldn't build any of that if they did do another entrance. It would just literally be a entrance gate.

That's why I can't see them doing it. What use would it be potentially damaging a major revenue stream just so people don't have to walk as far? None.