What's new

Alton Towers, Tuesday 14th, June.

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
Text heavy thread, no pictures.

This was my first trip to Alton Towers since 2006, so I was pretty excited. We also got our tickets for £5 since someone at my boyfriend's uni had got two of the Sun tickets that you collect the tokens for, but she couldn't go, so two tickets for £10 was amazing.

We set off from Sheffield (were were staying in a hotel there for the night) at half 8 and arrived at the park for 9:45. We were expecting the park to be quite busy with the Sun offer being today, but the car parks were relatively empty, and got on the Monorail to the entrance.

I love the Corkscews at the entrance, they really make an impact, but they don't play In The Hall Of The Mountain King anymore which disappointed me. They had closed off the path to X-Sector from Sonic Spinball as they made preparations for Black Eyed Peas on the Saturday, but we were headed for Thirteen anyway.

Queue time was only 10 minutes which was brilliant. I actually liked Thirteen, and I rally like the Dark Forest themeing. After Thirteen, was a walk on for Rita, which was as good as I remembered.

We then headed over to Forbidden Valley, got on Nemesis twice (queues were only 15 mins). All the effects were working, and the original music playing (which I love). Attempted Air, but the queue was already an hour and it had broken down, so we left it for later and rode Ripsaw and Blade, and then headed over to the Flume, and the rapids. Got pretty soaked on the rapids, but dry on the Flume.

X-Sector time. Got 4 rides on Oblivion with only 10 mins queues. I was happy the mist was on, and they had the original videos and music playing.

After Obivion, got 4 rides on Sonic as the queue was pretty much a walk on, and after this did some more re-rides of the other rides and then headed home.

Was a brilliant day with amazing weather, and I got pretty sunburnt on my face.

I'd say Alton is definitely still an amazing park, and I don't want to leave it 5 years before I return!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
How did you manage to leave it FIVE years between visits?! :lol:

Glad you had fun. :)

T0M

Hyper Poster
It was 12 years since I ha dlast been when I went last year, and I've been another five times since!

For Sonic to be nearly walk-on at any time of year is great so good on you.

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
Tom G said:
For Sonic to be nearly walk-on at any time of year is great so good on you.

I was very surprised! After all, I'm always hearing how it's s rammed. I think it was due to the path being closed to x-sector, so a lot of people couldn't be arsed to walk all the way around the lake.

T0M

Hyper Poster
Now that you mention it, yeah, more than likely that was a big factor! It's a great ride but isn't usually worth the massive queue.

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
Tom G said:
Now that you mention it, yeah, more than likely that was a big factor! It's a great ride but isn't usually worth the massive queue.

Nah, I would queue more than half hour for it, I've ridden it to death in the past anyway.