What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster
Re: Alton Towers | The Smiler | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1

Am I the only one that thinks Saw is smooth?

I mean, Nemesis is so high-rated on here and that leaves me with a concussion. To head-banging for me to appreciate the forces and inversions.

(Prepares for hate for bad mouthing Nemesis) :lol:

marc

CF Legend

A few find that on nemesis, I do bang my head if I don't brace. It does not give me a head ache or back pain though, plus it's old lol.

Saw can be ok, but then the next ride it's not. It depends where you sit I think.

As said before I really do like the Saw layout and I think different trains would make it a good coaster.

peep

CF Legend

Nemesis of oblivion said:
Am I the only one that thinks Saw is smooth?

I mean, Nemesis is so high-rated on here and that leaves me with a concussion. To head-banging for me to appreciate the forces and inversions.

(Prepares for hate for bad mouthing Nemesis) :lol:

No, I've never had an issue with Saw. I've experienced the 'dreadful killing my soul spite track piece' once out of my many goes round and I didn't even have an issue with it.

I've never felt bad after Nemesis but I reckon it's how I felt after riding one of the many Batmans which get creamed over constantly. So, once again, I can totally relate to your opinion.

I'm so excited for the Smiler, every time there is an update it just makes me more confused, I love it. Alton has a winner on it's hands imo.

Kebab

Giga Poster

Nemesis Inferno said:
Kebab said:
And on second note, why the hate for Gerstlauer? I've never understood why the community frowns upon a coaster just because it is a 'Euro-Fighter' or built by 'Gerstlauer', they are 'in my opinion' the most innovative manufacteur in the industry today. It might not be the second-coming of Nemesis, but it certainly is the best looking coaster to come out of this country since 1994!

Have you been on Saw?

Although I agree, it seems Saw has certainly put Gerstlauer in the blacklist of coaster designers...
I don't see all the hate around Saw either. I can see why some dislike it, because it isn't glass-smooth (more like broken glass-smooth...), and the second half leaves a lot to desire, but is it really that bad? I find the indoor section fantastic, and really makes a difference from the generic 'station>lift>drop>loop' kind of layout, the over-vertical drop is a joy too! The latter is weak in comparison to say Nemesis Inferno, but I still find it a generally enjoyable coaster.

I suppose we're all eligible to our own opinions, liking coasters nowadays is the same as liking movies and music.

Anyways, any news on when this 'Smiler game' is releasing, last time I heard it would be releasing the end of Feb?

rich210uk

Mega Poster

Saw hurts the base of my skull at the top of my spine when it hits the bottom of the first drop with that thud that seems to happens everytime I go on it. Then the rest of the ride is spent trying to stop that pain from getting worse. I hope The Smiler doesnt have this.

Apologies if its been brought up already but could we be looking at a Anubis type of launch as the coaster comes out from under the station?

Its a shame its not planned to open till May, was hoping a nice early visit but looking at the photos there way no way a march opening was possible!

Kebab

Giga Poster

rich210uk said:
Apologies if its been brought up already but could we be looking at a Anubis type of launch as the coaster comes out from under the station?
It's plausible, but I've taken it out of the equation since John Wardley mentioned "it will have 2 different lift hills". We may have one of those LSM lift hills like on Maverick though.

Saying that, the trailer to The Smiler game looked like it launched through a cloud of fog before the lift, but that could be just sped up...

So much speculation! What the hell is this thing! :shock:

Ollie

CF Legend

^The whole point of the game though is to go through the track perfectly and gain boosts. I don't think it'll mean that there's launches. On the trailer it shows it launching from the brake run into the station so have to take it all with a pinch of salt and remember it's just a game.

Lofty

CF Legend

544026_10151438813139044_248958859_n.jpg

Alton. You babes <3

Dar

Hyper Poster

rollermonkey said:
We'll know one way or another about these possible bonus inversions soon enough. I still find it incredibly odd that they didn't do all the footers at the beginning, or even work on footers while they were assembling the bat/cobra elements.

Could they have known that they wanted to tweak the design as they went along, and so delayed pouring footers as long as possible to permit?

I think it was more a fact that the weather round here was awful at the start of the year. I don't think they can pour concrete in low temperatures, and it was flipping cold here over December-end of January. That and it seems like they've had some problems with the ground needing extra reinforcing?

Martyn B

CF Legend

10.jpg

The profiling on that first pre-drop doesn't look the best, does it?:?

marc

CF Legend

Is it just me or are they using more land than the plans showed? I don't remember the coaster going as far as the toilets?

The coaster is now out of X Sector.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

Crazycoaster said:
^ I doubt that, because the track would have had to have been fabricated ages ago surely?

Not necessarily. I think Diamondback was vertical before all the pieces were done being made. Of course, that fabrication plant is very close to KI, so delivery wasn't an issue there. Where is Intamin track fabricated at, anyways?

Not that I believe this for a second, but maybe they waited on footers to spite enthusiast speculation?

More likely just needed the area clear for the cranes to work.

Lofty

CF Legend

^^ Yeah. It went over the toilets in the plans :)

Ben

CF Legend

Martyn B said:
10.jpg

The profiling on that first pre-drop doesn't look the best, does it?:?

omg, that looks disgusting <//3

Yay, so glad this is going to be longer...

If this has OTSRs, it'll be GROSS.

If not, it might be OK.

Lofty

CF Legend

Ben said:
omg, that looks disgusting <//3

Yay, so glad this is going to be longer...

If this has OTSRs, it'll be GROSS.

If not, it might be OK.
I cannot agree more. If it has lapbars, it'll actually be a fun experience, OTSR's, it'll be vile.

Martyn B

CF Legend

You'd have thought that Gersty would have learnt a thing or two since they made Speed....

8f5gg00c79fcanej0up21a.jpg

Clearly not....

marc

CF Legend

See what you mean now, I hated Speed everything about it was just wrong.

CJH21

Roller Poster

Remember though this could "possibly" have a new train design, so you really can't judge how the strange track segments will ride.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster

Nothing wrong with that first drop. Its the way the picture is shot. If you you look, you'd notice that it actually pushes in as if it would provide airtime, not lateral G's.

Status
Not open for further replies.