What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
Re: Alton Towers | The Smiler | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1

I love how industrial they look. Almost as if the parts you don't usually see are uncovered.

Martyn B

CF Legend

^I guess they're supposed to look like some kind of chair that the 'patients' get strapped into etc. Ugly, but it suits the theme.

And woo for the spider theming taking shape!

elephant58

Hyper Poster

Is it just me , or do the lapbars seem to be attached to the rear of the car in front?

Danzibarr

Mega Poster

^ I hadn't even noticed the lapbars and car floors, I retract the previous comment! They don't look like they're attached to the car infront though.

Martyn B

CF Legend

If it is an official image/poster, how can a fansite water-mark it?

Lofty

CF Legend

elephant58 said:
Is it just me , or do the lapbars seem to be attached to the rear of the car in front?
No, they're like the B&M hyper ones on the new trains. They're attached to the floor of your car at the front of it..

Martyn B said:
I know exactly what you mean. I don't think they're actually doing it as a Watermark, more so they get the internet footfall by advertising, I think.

the king

Mega Poster

Martyn B said:

For some reason Towers2go watermark images that don't belong to them.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Well, as promised on Facebook last night, I managed to get an exclusive aerial shot for CF!!! Woohoo!

So's not to spoil the surprise element, I called in a mist across the valley :p

thesmilerconst-small.jpg

And full scale:
http://www.coasterforce.com/furie/thesm ... -large.jpg

Okay, I also put a tree in the way of the secret element.

On a clear day, and if you're willing to risk you life wandering down the lane a little bit, you can get an less obscured view and with a telephoto lens you'd be able to pick out details.

I don't have a telephoto lens, it was misty and my goonery ends at putting my life at risk. So you'll have to send somebody else out if you want an actual shot :p

Still, it probably shows as much as mushy's ;)

You can just glimpse the new coaster through the trees heading up from Alton, and it's huge... Well, comparatively anyway. Looks very nice and enigmatic through the trees with the sunlight behind it. Again, I could have stopped and risked my life to take a very poor shot through the foliage...

Kebab

Giga Poster

Looking at the chopper shots on TowersTimes really makes the launch speculation plausible. Especially on this photo:

1.jpg

Theres a fair amount of straight in the trench by the 'image corrected' block, could be a 'surprise rolling launch' after the barrel roll? Who knows what it will be?

It's such a unique looking layout, I can't wait to see the ride in action!

As for the Worlds First? People look into that way too much, this is coming from a park that dubbed Th13teen 'Worlds First Psychoaster' or whatever the **** that meant.

elephant58

Hyper Poster

I like how the supports actually enter the building!

And I think Thirteen's actual 'world-first' objective was the silly freefall drop element.

Dar

Hyper Poster

Tatenhill Aviation posted this shot on their facebook stream today.

482445_288349987961151_1030177894_n.jpg

I'm shocked that TowersTimes were covering nothing with their large, obnoxious yellow box. </sarcasm>

Good to see the ground work has progressed quite a lot, I assume the massive slab of concrete will form part of the queue and the viewing plaza.

Smithy

Strata Poster

Could still be something prior to that straight bit of track that you can't really see from that angle.

More than likely though they've just been obscuring that straight bit of track as it's either pre-launch or designed to drop/rock/shake/rattle/roll.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

Def looks like lap bars. Odd that they'd show a train rolling away instead of towards, though.

Coaster_Phil

Roller Poster

I like the way the track comes up from very low to the straight section, although the straight pieces are on two different levels. They seem to be on the same line, just the last bit looks about 5 foot lower.

Am I missing something there? I doubt it's another drop like 13.

Rollercoasters4Life

Roller Poster

As we have seen from the recently released photo by Alton Towers that the support on the left is in an inverted position (As I've illustrated below):

InvertedSupport_zps76dd9643.jpg

Now there has been speculation for some time about an inverting drop which with the above support looks like it may happen. I then went back to The Smiler game app photos and this image looks very much like an inverting drop to me:

game-gallery-th-03.jpg

(Original image)

game-gallery-th-03_zps4722d25b.jpg

(My attempt at blowing it up a little)

As you can see, the train is coming out of a banking drop. Now the banking is correct with that support as you would roll right (clockwise) down the drop (you can also see the 'conversion zone' (bottom of second lift hill - black and yellow rectangles) to the bottom right of the image which can be seen in this photo:

game-gallery-th-02_zps9b7dc87e.jpg

So it is in the right place. Now before anyone says I can't see *insert element* on the game images that is because you unlock more as you go along. This has been sat in front of us for weeks and only now does it become clear. An inverting drop? Looking likely!

elephant58

Hyper Poster

^ Or if you look on the original plans, you'll see that the reson it's pulling out of a bank, is because the start of the drop after the secone lift, banks to right before the drop.

Rollercoasters4Life

Roller Poster

elephant58 said:
^ Or if you look on the original plans, you'll see that the reson it's pulling out of a bank, is because the start of the drop after the secone lift, banks to right before the drop.

Your thinking of the wrong drop for starters. The drop I am talking about is the first drop - not the second. The second is all the way to the right of the picture (on Alton Towers image) and hasn't had any of that side of support put up yet (unless they have today).

elephant58

Hyper Poster

^My mistake. Well, partly my mistake, I ment pull left. I got confused because on that no limits pov, the drop was to the right of the lift hill, I you get what I mean.

I still doubt that the 'inverting drop' will happen, as it wasn't on the plans and judging by your reasoning (the banking on the drop in the game), the 'inversion' would be too tight for a 4x4 train.

Rollercoasters4Life

Roller Poster

elephant58 said:
I still doubt that the 'inverting drop' will happen, as it wasn't on the plans and judging by your reasoning (the banking on the drop in the game), the 'inversion' would be too tight for a 4x4 train.

The track work can change to what is on the plans. Whether it will, remains to be seen. The inverting drop would happen whilst you go down the first drop so basically a barrel roll but it goes down at an angle - can't see why it would be to tight?

Status
Not open for further replies.