What's new

Alton Towers' Next Big Thing?

Bowser

Mega Poster
I feel like i'm missing something but what's exciting about that? It looks like a standard family coaster from 30 years ago. Is there a USP i'm not getting? Especially with somewhere like Alton Towers. Looks more like something i'd expect to see at a seaside fairground.

Efteldingus

Mega Poster
I feel like it'll be a fun-ish ride, but the pacing will be all over the place. You're just constantly being thrown about at low speeds, which makes me think there will never really be any consistent force on your body to actually make you feel something. It will be a fun ride for the entire family, but it doesn't strike me as something that would do wonders at a load of parks. Still, I could be completely wrong here and it sure is an interesting move to see RMC tap into the family market more, I wonder if we'll see any pop up at fairs and smaller parks to replace older Wild Mouse coasters over the coming years.

Also that support structure looks hideous.

Coastiesaurus

Roller Poster
I’m always a bit puzzled when I think about what Project Horizon could potentially be. It makes sense given the size of the building that it’s going to be something like an Intamin multi-dimensional coaster along the lines of uncharted or movie studios tour, but given that Thirteen is literally 10 seconds away why would Towers put something in that’s going to make one of their existing rides redundant?

Howie

Donkey in a hat
finding people talking as if this is going to Alton kind of insane given there is literally zero evidence connecting them

True, but there's also zero evidence disconnecting them at the moment.
What we have got is that Burton guy blatantly teasing RMC (probably trolling, but who knows?) plus the fact that RMC's new concept for a family coaster just happens to fit neatly inside the box, with a bit of room left over for some queueline and scenery/theming/preshow guff. Can see why many people are joining the dots here. It's all rather convenient... and I don't like it.
Personally I'm waiting for that one piece of concrete evidence that breaks this link. I do not want the UK's first RMC to be a moose in a box.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I’m always a bit puzzled when I think about what Project Horizon could potentially be. It makes sense given the size of the building that it’s going to be something like an Intamin multi-dimensional coaster along the lines of uncharted or movie studios tour, but given that Thirteen is literally 10 seconds away why would Towers put something in that’s going to make one of their existing rides redundant?

Must admit I'm confused why people think that Thirteen's existence would stop the park getting an Intamin multi dimensional coaster.

Yes, Thirteen's key thing is having the surprise indoor drop track. But a multi dimensional coaster can be extremely different. It doesn't need drop track; it can just be an indoor coaster with track switches, rotating trains, show scenes, etc. Given a not-dark theme too, and the rides would feel extremely different, and can quite easily co-exist in the same park.

jasone

Roller Poster
True, but there's also zero evidence disconnecting them at the moment.
What we have got is that Burton guy blatantly teasing RMC (probably trolling, but who knows?) plus the fact that RMC's new concept for a family coaster just happens to fit neatly inside the box, with a bit of room left over for some queueline and scenery/theming/preshow guff. Can see why many people are joining the dots here. It's all rather convenient... and I don't like it.
Personally I'm waiting for that one piece of concrete evidence that breaks this link. I do not want the UK's first RMC to be a moose in a box.

Completely agree. I don’t think this would be worthy of the hype at all. While the moose gimmick is cute that RMC are marketing the ride with, I don’t think the actual ride experience will be anything special. It’s like a whole ride made up of an RMC pre lift, which just sounds a bit uncomfortable imo.

Bowser

Mega Poster
Alton already had a Mouse rollercoaster..... 35 years ago! Essentially rebuilding it indoors in 2025 sounds insane. And i don't think those style rides are befitting of a major theme park, let alone one with a reputation for innovation and world class rollercoasters so i'm not buying it personally.

I don't see the issue with Th13teen if it does turn out to be multi-dimensional. Agree with the above that the theming can massively differentiate them (and really there isn't a lot of on-ride theming with Th13teen whereas an all indoor ride will presumably be heavy on FX). Could even see it being tied in with an IP although things like that tend to age badly unless they're carefully selected.

The selling point of the UK's first multi-dimensional sounds much more appealing from a marketing perspective too.

Coastiesaurus

Roller Poster
Must admit I'm confused why people think that Thirteen's existence would stop the park getting an Intamin multi dimensional coaster.

Yes, Thirteen's key thing is having the surprise indoor drop track. But a multi dimensional coaster can be extremely different. It doesn't need drop track; it can just be an indoor coaster with track switches, rotating trains, show scenes, etc. Given a not-dark theme too, and the rides would feel extremely different, and can quite easily co-exist in the same park.
I think it would be different, rather than ‘extremely different’, but I take your point.

Although people on this forum do sometimes spend a lot of time explaining why parks won’t/shouldn’t build a ride because they already have something similar.

Last edited:

Efan

Mega Poster
Alton already had a Mouse rollercoaster..... 35 years ago! Essentially rebuilding it indoors in 2025 sounds insane. And i don't think those style rides are befitting of a major theme park, let alone one with a reputation for innovation and world class rollercoasters so i'm not buying it personally.

I don't see the issue with Th13teen if it does turn out to be multi-dimensional. Agree with the above that the theming can massively differentiate them (and really there isn't a lot of on-ride theming with Th13teen whereas an all indoor ride will presumably be heavy on FX). Could even see it being tied in with an IP although things like that tend to age badly unless they're carefully selected.

The selling point of the UK's first multi-dimensional sounds much more appealing from a marketing perspective too.
But they're nothing alike - some switchbacks and a few dips is nothing like RMC's concept. The only reason it's playing on the wild mouse name is that it keeps the spirit somewhat and that they both fit in the same plot. Not only is the ride experience completely different from a traditional wild mouse due to the layout but also due to the trains; standard 4 seater cars vs 6-car trains give a totally different feel. Plus, the indoor setting gives the chance for a completely different visual experience. Not to mention this one doesn't have a slanted lift hill ;)

Whether Alton will get one and whether it'll be good are separate questions, but RMC hasn't had a dud yet. Would be interested to see how a layout like this would lend itself to extensive theming though.

catsounds

Mega Poster
I dont see how it would make it redundant, no one except enthusiasts are going to think 'whats the point in visiting because they already have an intamin multi dimensional coaster'
Didnt coaster corner used to have a near enough clone of black hole just not in a tent? :p

MagicMountainFan

Roller Poster
I think that the Wild Moose looks uncomfortable, like something 8 year old me would design in Roller Coaster Tycoon, and I would undoubtedly prefer a intamin straddle coaster like darkoaster.

RevolutionRuleZ

Mega Poster
Taking the new coaster out of the equation, I think they really need to focus on Galactica, and incorporating it into FV in some way.

Sub-Terra provides a good solid filler attraction that needs to be backed up by a replacement for Funk n Fly, but even with that, Galactica feels like a third person on a date. It doesn't belong in FV and looks in a very poor state. Its VR has gone, which is a good thing, the screens in the station don't work, its as if its being run-down to deliberately lend itself to a revamp much like Duel did in its final few months.

With FV sorted out and the Curse/Katanga as they are those secrions of the park feel in order and somewhat complete.

spicy

Giga Poster
As much as I would like to see Galactica finally given a theme to fit into FV, i’d say there’s more chance of it being removed in the next 5 years than being given another retheme into FV.

In 5 years It will be approaching 30 years old and that’s a prime spot for a new coaster with the car park area right next to it. It must be the next area for development after the indoor coaster is completed?

With AT’s strict planning regulations of not being able to build over tree height, I still think it’s crazy they are still yet to use LSMs which completely eliminates the problem of needing a lift hill. So I think an LSM launched coaster will replace Air eventually.

FogZog

Mega Poster
As much as I would like to see Galactica finally given a theme to fit into FV, i’d say there’s more chance of it being removed in the next 5 years than being given another retheme into FV.

In 5 years It will be approaching 30 years old and that’s a prime spot for a new coaster with the car park area right next to it. It must be the next area for development after the indoor coaster is completed?

With AT’s strict planning regulations of not being able to build over tree height, I still think it’s crazy they are still yet to use LSMs which completely eliminates the problem of needing a lift hill. So I think an LSM launched coaster will replace Air eventually.
Hopefully a vekoma flyer

Sandman

Giga Poster
I'd legit take Thunderlooper in a tube (Psyke Underground style) over a lot of the current suggestions.

Genuinely, if they tarted up an old Schwarzkopf and chucked it in a big old warehouse, then would the GP really know any better? If it thrills, it thrills.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Genuinely, if they tarted up an old Schwarzkopf and chucked it in a big old warehouse, then would the GP really know any better? If it thrills, it thrills.

Yeah, one of those old Jet Star models, that'd be cool, I wonder if there's any relocated ones undergoing refurbishment anywhere?
Hey, you know what would be really awesome? One of those with an outer space theme. They could call it 'The Black Hole' or sumat. Whaddya reckon? 😉