What's new

Alton Tower Busses

Sampy987

Roller Poster
Hey, I'm planning to visit Alton Towers during spring 2018, I can not find any recent information about how to get there by public transport, I did found the trains to Uttoxeter or Stoke-on-Trent, but then I need a bus, also I will be going during the weekend. Could anybody give me some advice on how to get from any of these two cities to Alton Towers? I would also like to arrive before the park opens if that is possible! I found a lot of forums, but none gave recent or good answers so any help is Welcome!

Cheers
Sam

NeoXIII

Best Newcomer 2016
The only bus company that runs a service up to the Towers from Stoke is First Group, and you can find there website here:
https://www.firstgroup.com/potteries/more/alton-towers

Usually they would have the info up there, but it seems that for the time being the 2018 schedule hasn't been made public yet.
In the past, the bus operates starting from Easter school break until the last day of Fireworks, with one bus going up during off season, two buses during summer season.
It's pretty much the only option to get to the park by public transport (at least from Stoke, I don't know the options for Uttoxeter), and very limited with time too.
Don't bother with them on Sundays, as they don't run except during summer. Other option would be a taxi company, some do provide a cheap return to the park.

lachlan

Mega Poster
I'm hoping to visit Alton Towers and Blackpool, most likely on my own, so taxi might be too expensive. Hopefully they will release the bus times soon. May be worth paying extra for the taxi, to enjoy opening and closing when the park is quieter.

It sucks that in Europe Bobbejaanland has a regular bus service but Britain's biggest theme park can barely manage one bus a day!

Sampy987

Roller Poster
thanks, and what would be the cheapest taxi price I should aim for? because they are quite expensive

Sampy987

Roller Poster
I'm hoping to visit Alton Towers and Blackpool, most likely on my own, so taxi might be too expensive. Hopefully they will release the bus times soon. May be worth paying extra for the taxi, to enjoy opening and closing when the park is quieter.

It sucks that in Europe Bobbejaanland has a regular bus service but Britain's biggest theme park can barely manage one bus a day!
I'm from belgium as well, bobbejaanland has a great bus service, walibi belgium even has it's own train station and so does plopsaland de panne, A big park like alton towers should be easier to get to when you have no car!

lachlan

Mega Poster
I was there last year, visited Plopsaland, Bobbejaanland, Antwerp and the Atomium all while staying in Brussels. Really enjoyed it and can't fault the transport at all, much better than our trains and busses.

As someone who will never be able to drive, bad public transport is an issue I feel very strongly about

Sampy987

Roller Poster
yep it certainly is, I now found a coach service, transport included 100 pounds for two days, which is cheap, but you have to be with 2 persons and since I'm alone that will not work either :(

lachlan

Mega Poster
yep it certainly is, I now found a coach service, transport included 100 pounds for two days, which is cheap, but you have to be with 2 persons and since I'm alone that will not work either :(
You should ask around, maybe someone else visiting at the same time could give you a lift or share a taxi ride.:)

I've seen coach trips from Aberdeen, where I live, but I don't fancy spending that long on a coach. Also if I was travelling all that way I'd want to visit more than just Alton towers

Sampy987

Roller Poster
yeah aberdeen is far away, do you know where I could ask around?? :) I'm doing my erasmus in the UK, so I'm fairly new here :)

Dar

Hyper Poster
There's the X52 from Nottingham/Derby, but it doesn't get to the park until 1100 and leaves at 1730. If you choose a quiet day, getting there that late shouldn't be too much of a problem.
The 2018 timetable is here, "Service X52", third link down

Public transport to the country's "premier" theme park is a joke and could be something holding them back from getting more visitors

Sampy987

Roller Poster
There's the X52 from Nottingham/Derby, but it doesn't get to the park until 1100 and leaves at 1730. If you choose a quiet day, getting there that late shouldn't be too much of a problem.
The 2018 timetable is here, "Service X52", third link down

Public transport to the country's "premier" theme park is a joke and could be something holding them back from getting more visitors
am I wrong or does this not operate during weekends??

Dar

Hyper Poster
Bugger, you're right, only Monday to Friday. Should have read your OP better, sorry. That'll teach me for trying to be a smartarse!

Sampy987

Roller Poster
haha no problem dude!! I'm already happy with the help I'm getting from you guys, I might try to go during the week, or find a friend for the coach thing

jayjay

Giga Poster
The sad thing is that it's been massively cut since the late 2000s when I first went by public transport. Alton had its own bus shuttle from Uttoxeter and Stoke with branded buses and everything. Then that was dropped but First could still get there before 10am.

Reactions: Dar

lachlan

Mega Poster
yeah aberdeen is far away, do you know where I could ask around?? :) I'm doing my erasmus in the UK, so I'm fairly new here :)
To be honest, I have no idea who to ask! I could share a taxi with you, but I have no idea when I'm going to go, only that I'd like to visit Alton Towers and Blackpool in the same trip

Kind of off topic, but Erasmus sounds great, I am going on international exchange later this year, am so excited :D If only my university had a roller coaster society

lachlan

Mega Poster
That would be great!

Sounds like bus is a non starter, even if it is running I'm not going all that way for half a day

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
I emailed fiirst and asked about their towers service, and they haven't decided yet...

It is of course a complete joke that efteling has about 6 buses an hour from tilburg and 's hertengebosch throughout the day, but sweet fa to the top attraction in the uk... they may as well just move it to the USA!

streetmagix

Mega Poster
The bus situation has really affected me . In 2016 I had 4 x 2 day trips to Towers from London on public transport. Last year with the reduced bus service I did 2 trips, the first one I had to rent a car from Stoke. The second was during the summer holidays, never doing that again.

I understand that Towers *do* run buses but only for staff, in 2016 I'd say around 50% of bus passengers were staff. Once First cut down there was lots of complaints from Staff as they could no longer cheaply get to work.

I understand that First have made many change in bus services in that part of the country which annoyed a lot of people. Probably they dropped all the 'unprofitable' routes.

I wish Merlin could run the bus services, it works well at Gardaland so there is a precedence (although the station is much closer at Gardaland, maybe 20 minutes by road. It is also free .)