What's new

Alpengeist zero car?

It adds a literal **** tonn of mass to the train, without it there isn't enough inertia to get round the course.
That and it also moves the centre of mass towards the front which helps pull it through those rediculously huge inversions.

I mean, *all* the B&M sitdowns have them, and their stand ups.
At least 2 RMC? Pretty sure all the Gravity Group timberliners do as well.

Strictly speaking, every coaster that has articulated trains instead of draw bars has a zero "car".

Each manufacturer refers to it in their own way but they all do essentially the same job and that is to provide a rigid support for the trains floppy end.

B&M got creative with their inverted, floorless and dive coaster trains by giving the job of the zero car to the actual first car, this is why the first 2 rows only ever move in the roll axis relative to each other.

I'm also curious as to what the second coaster is that they are referring to because as far as I am aware, Alpengeist is the only coaster full stop with a deliberately weighted support axle?

Dan?

Roller Poster
I'm also curious as to what the second coaster is that they are referring to because as far as I am aware, Alpengeist is the only coaster full stop with a deliberately weighted support axle?
I believe that the 8-car Batman models, when reversed, have a zero car taking the place of Car 8.

Dan?

Roller Poster
Reversed? Now I'm curious....
Great%20America%20008.JPG

Archie

Mega Poster
what im wondering is why not just have seats on the zero car as well as weight for extra capacity

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Says it in the comments when he responds to this very question… He’s referring to Manta. :)
Which does also then apply to Acrobat, but none of the other flyers except Flying Dinosaur. Be curious to the logic of that.

cookie

Giga Poster
Which does also then apply to Acrobat, but none of the other flyers except Flying Dinosaur. Be curious to the logic of that.
Flying Dinosaur has three tall elements (the zero-G, the fly to lie, and the pretzel loop) one after the other, so perhaps it's a speed thing there as well?

Last edited:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
what im wondering is why not just have seats on the zero car as well as weight for extra capacity
I’m guessing that it’s because the zero car is a solid block of something very very heavy… Not practical to attach seats to, with their fixings and workings.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Flying Dinosaur has three tall elements (the zero-G, the fly to lie, and the pretzel loop) one after the other, so perhaps it's a speed thing there as well?
Yeah, it seems to be a more complicated filter than just "if speed is greater than x" or "if height is greater than y" - I think you might be onto something with the sustained big elements - albeit I can't believe that Manta/Acrobat are much different to the Supermans. That would be a great question for B&M one day.

I’m guessing that it’s because the zero car is a solid block of something very very heavy… Not practical to attach seats to, with their fixings and workings.
I'd also wager that it gives you all the mass you need without adding all of the air resistance that a full row of seats would create. After all, that's probably one of the biggest challenges in terms of sustaining momentum.

Dan?

Roller Poster
I'd also wager that it gives you all the mass you need without adding all of the air resistance that a full row of seats would create. After all, that's probably one of the biggest challenges in terms of sustaining momentum.
Wouldn't the air resistance theoretically be the same? The cross-section of the train remains the same, and the geometry of the front row of seats wouldn't be any different if it were affixed to the zero car than if it were affixed to the first car I'd expect!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Wouldn't the air resistance theoretically be the same? The cross-section of the train remains the same, and the geometry of the front row of seats wouldn't be any different if it were affixed to the zero car than if it were affixed to the first car I'd expect!
In short, not really. Yes the 'front' effect is the same, but the 'side' effect would be different. The air being sucked in behind each row (and then being pushed out of the way of the next row) is a considerable contributor to air resistance, so less of that is better. :)

cookie

Giga Poster
Yeah, it seems to be a more complicated filter than just "if speed is greater than x" or "if height is greater than y" - I think you might be onto something with the sustained big elements - albeit I can't believe that Manta/Acrobat are much different to the Supermans. That would be a great question for B&M one day.
This is me hazarding a guess, but Manta and Acrobat have MCBRs whereas the Superman clones and most other versions don’t (Tatsu technically has one but it’s one turn away from the final brakes). Perhaps the zero car is there to make sure the train is still able to complete the remainder of the circuit were it to come to a full stop mid-course?

Last edited:

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Just a note that the quoted blog post about 1 other coaster with a zero car was written in 2010 so after Manta opened but 5 years before acrobat so I guess was correct at the time.