What's new

Air trimmage

Martyn B

CF Legend
I was thinking the other day, is Thirteen the first trimmed coaster we've had in the UK?

Then I thought of Air, is it trimmed? I know it does have a trim style brake just before the final turn, but I've never felt, or heard anything. Is it just there as a precaution?

Also, I think there's another in the tunnel/bridge bit....
air0007.jpg

.... though I cant be 100% certain (I dont know why I think there is one there, but my mind is telling me there is....)

Ben

CF Legend
There is another set in the tunnel, yes.

Also, Mumbo Jumbo is *slightly* trimmed. Like, just a TINY tad.

And so is EVERY Big Apple and Super Dragon.

There'll be a fair few more, but, CBA.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Yeah - there is one under the bridge and another in the place you mentioned.

Because Air is quite well designed, you can't really feel if they do make a difference to the speed. I assume they do marginally, but not by much.

I don't know for certain though.

Martyn B

CF Legend
I dont really class the kiddie coasters a trims to be honest, I was more on about 'proper' coasters.

And Mumbo's is just more of an effect for the drop, thats what I've heard anwayz. I dont really class it as a proper little 'discreet' trim, if you get what I mean...

Blaze

Hyper Poster
As far as I am aware, the trims on Air have been deactivated or only used as a precaution if it is running far too fast. I've never seen, felt or heard them operating :S

Ben

CF Legend
Martyn B said:
And Mumbo's is just more of an effect for the drop, thats what I've heard anwayz.

Yeah, no. It's more of a... so you don't die, sort of thing.

Beans

Hyper Poster
Saw has the capablity of being trimmed, they did it for a short while just after it opened to slow the train in the mid breaks, once it started running better they stopped doing this, made it horrible to ride with the trims activated.

Jools

Giga Poster
^ Perhaps that explains why I love it, it has never been trimmed when I've ridden it, hopefully they will deactivate the ones on Thirteen after a while.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
I think Air's trims were just there if needed and have never actually been used.

I think we could name quite a few trimmed coasters in the UK. Fury (or rides alike) or PMBO is trimmed on the mid-course blocks.

The spinners, Mumbo, Th13teen, even Inferno is trimmed a tad sometimes to match the lift-chain speed. Didn't Corkscrew even have mid-course brakes?

Martyn B

CF Legend
Fury (or rides alike) or PMBO is trimmed on the mid-course blocks.

Isn't the 'technical' term for them MCBR - Mid Course Break Run? So that doesn't really count. Block sections have to have brakes, I was on about proper 'trims'. The ones that we, as rule, hate.

Saw has the capablity of being trimmed, they did it for a short while just after it opened to slow the train in the mid breaks, once it started running better they stopped doing this, made it horrible to ride with the trims activated.
^ Perhaps that explains why I love it, it has never been trimmed when I've ridden it, hopefully they will deactivate the ones on Thirteen after a while.

I am yet to ride Saw, so please correct me if I'm wrong. After the MCBR, there is one small element, yeah? So how can the ride go being rubbish, to great, just by taking that last element that little bit faster?

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
Martyn B said:
I am yet to ride Saw, so please correct me if I'm wrong. After the MCBR, there is one small element, yeah? So how can the ride go being rubbish, to great, just by taking that last element that little bit faster?
There's some pretty impressive airtime coming off the MCBR, so if the brakes were killing that airtime, yes, they probably did make a big difference.