What's new

Aesthetics : Experience (Ratios)

English Coaster Guy

Roller Poster
Apologies for the title of the thread, I know what I'm trying to say in my head! 😂

Two ways of approaching this....

Please give examples or rollercoasters which look incredible, but ride poorly.

Or.

Rollercoasters which aren't easy on the eye, but ride incredibly well.

Or you can do both if you like, I'm not your dad :).

Aesthetics : Experience

Go as complicated as you like, I'm sure there are some wonderful examples of this out there.

Apologies to BPB fans, but Big One is up there for me. Aesthetically incredible, especially at night when the floodlights are on it. Pure bonafide rollercoaster. But alas, she is a monorail, unfortunately. Think I'd rather look at it than ride it, genuinely. (9:1)

I think all SLC's fall into this category as well, to a degree, they do look very pretty. (8:2)

On the other side, Stealth at Thorpe Park. Looks underwhelming, the theme is weird and the colour scheme is so, so boring. It does however pack a punch which is beyond belief! (1:9)

Icon as well, looks absolutely hideous in my opinion. From the JD Sports Shoebox Station, to the 'Japanese' garden under the inclined loop (slate chippings and red sticks, ok cool), to those weird canvas's of blossom trees on the S Bend under Steeplechase. I know this will have been discussed before, but it's as if Amanda Thompson went somewhere in Asia (not even sure she went to Japan) & took 4.5kg of magic mushrooms before writing down her experiences. It doesn't make ANY sense. Not forgetting the snakeskin/bathroom mosaic tile pattern on the trains, wtf. I do however think it rides really, really well. (1.5:8.5)

Last edited:

Melons

Roller Poster
Personally I find Colossus at Thorpe Park to be a fun ride to watch, especially as the path winds through the middle of the layout. The heartline rolls as well being the best part to watch. However, I do avoid this washing machine every single time I visit, except on weird occasions where I think to myself, how bad is it really? Very unpleasant. (8:2)

opivy028

Mega Poster
Mean Streak was such a beautiful hulking mass of wood, and both boring and painful to ride, although it did have a solid first drop Imo (1.5/9)

Steely Dan

Mega Poster
Mean Streak was such a beautiful hulking mass of wood, and both boring and painful to ride, although it did have a solid first drop Imo (1.5/9)

+1

Mean Streak and Son of Beast were the immediate examples that came to my mind when I read the OP.

Both were such gorgeous sculptural masses of timber frame magnificence, but they tracked like trash.

Traditional wood tracked coasters just shouldn't go that fast. They tend to rip themselves apart. Like all materials, wood has limits, and they were found.

But those two sure we're purdy to look at. And at least Mean Streak was reborn into its current excellence. Too bad for SoB that it met its demise right before the RMC craze had really taken off.

Last edited: