What's new

Advertising of films

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Before Avengers, movies typically featured a 3 trailer format. The first being a 30 second teaser, then two separate 2:30 mins trailers. Rarely you got a third. TV adverts were then pulled from those advertisements, a few spots, maybe 5, nothing too revealing, that made you eager to see the movie.

With Avengers, key plot points were included. Now, movies are giving away massive spoilers, Avengers 2 giving away a major death, Terminator 17 having their major twist revealed, and now Star Wars is doing it.

Does this bother you? Do you care? Is this how advertising is going that entire movies will be spoiled to get people in the seats and they are too stupid to realize movies are being spoiled.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
I absolutely agree how this annoys me.

I recently saw the trailer for Allegiant, and not only did it miss the plot of the book, they gave away almost the entire plot! The book said it took place in a post-apocalyptic-type version of the Chicago-land area, but it looks like it's on Mars in the movie. Not only that, when were those 1-man flying machines a thing? And the fact that O'Hare airport was sealed via an invisible doorway, and why is the airport like the Factionless HQ, and not a science lab, and, ugh, there's too much wrong with it.

nealbie

CF Legend
Terminator G's trailer gave away its selling point, not its plot twist.

But other than that, yeah. I guess it's harder and harder to successfully sell films to people now without telling them what's going to happen. Shame.

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster
This guy I'm subscribed to posted a video criticizing movie/game advertisements. Thought it might be interesting for you all. He pretty much nailed it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6rg0DKPD9k&ab_channel=IHateEverything[/youtube]