What's new

Advent Calenders

Are you ever too old for an advent calander?

• No way, Christmas is for everyone.

Votes: 15 93.8%
  • Yep, you need to grow up.

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

Rachel

Coaster MILF
Since the Holiday season is upon us, I thought it would be pretty interesting to hear some of your opinions on this....

This week I went out and brought 24 squares of Cadburys chocolate in the form of an advent calander. Leading to a friend of mine to look at me in confusion and ask "Why are you buying one of those, you're 21?!"

So the question is, are you ever too old to count down for Christmas and get an advent calander?

Obviously my answer is no :)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
The minor_Furie's always get them off mother-of_Furie, because she's a Christian and it's stealth indoctrination with a twist of chocolate persuasion. I don't bother because I'm not keen on chocolate (when I like it, I really enjoy it, but only once a month or something) and have no religious beliefs.

I did a CoasterForce Advent Calender one year which was fun, in a "not fun, but kind of an interesting idea" kind of way :lol:

Hmmmmmm... Quite tempted to do another one, but I suspect it's a little late in the day now to sort one out :)

nadroJ

CF Legend
I've got one that my nan got for me, although last year I did keep forgetting to open it so it kind of defeated the purpose.

Nic

Strata Poster
I've had one every single year, although as Jordan said, I kept forgetting to open last year's so it was a bit pointless. After a couple of years of Peppa Pig, and having had a bit of a Disney year, I opted for Disney Princesses this year <3 My Mum VERY excitedly bought herself one earlier in the year... on her 54th birthday.

nadroJ

CF Legend
I actually really like the cardboard ones you get with little pictures behind each window more than the chocolate ones.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I used to get them as a kid, until one year when I was about 11 (just moved into a new house) and I opened the little windows to find the chocolates half nibbled by what we later discovered to be a mouse.

By my dad's logic, the advent calendar was clearly what brought the mouse into the house. It was nothing to do with the fact that it was a brand new house, built on and surrounded by fields and/or semi-constructed houses, which were both no doubt full of them. I never had another one after that.

It's the same Dad logic that makes him get pissed off if you leave the front gate open because "that dog is going to get in". That dog, which we've never actually seen, went in and crapped on the lawn 6 years ago. It's clearly hiding, just watching and waiting for his chance to run in and do it again.

Anyway, no. Advent calendars are s**te.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Not had one for years. I use mental arithmetic to work out how days until Christmas.

tks

Strata Poster
Why eat 24 awful little pieces of chocolate over the course of a month when you can devour a bar of Green & Blacks 85% dark chocolate all at once?

Haha I am NOT too old for an advent calendar, although I don't have one yet which in a way might be good because then I get to eat like, 6 or 7 chocolates from the 1st-6th of December that I missed! But yah, we don't have those fancy schmancy chocolate calendars you guys have over there, we just have dollar store ones with cheap **** chocolate. They're still amazing though!

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Joey said:
I never even liked Advent Calenders when I was a kid. They are so **** it's unreal.

This.

Never had one, and one time somebody has given me their chocolate one day from theirs and I realised how **** the whole thing is.

tks said:
Why eat 24 awful little pieces of chocolate over the course of a month when you can devour a bar of Green & Blacks 85% dark chocolate all at once?

Ew, too bitter </3

Martyn B

CF Legend
I haven't had one for years, though I do keep saying "I'll get one this year", and never actually do.

When it comes down to it, they're pretty expensive for **** all chocolate - that gets smaller each year. Same with tins of Celebrations etc.

marc

CF Legend
We have one each but I keep forgetting about it so end up eating 5 days worth to catch up lol.

thx

Mega Poster
nadroJ said:
I actually really like the cardboard ones you get with little pictures behind each window more than the chocolate ones.
yeah me too! never voluntarily had a chocolate one, as to be honest the chocolate pieces taste like **** milky plastic with a hint of cocoa anyway. This year though I bought a choc one, because couldn't find a cardboard one anywhere, I was lucky though because like telepathy and without me saying anything, I got a traditional cardboard one in the mail from my mom a few days late, which made my day lol.

Ollie

CF Legend
I still get them as they only usually cost £1.
Not as good as they used to be. The chocolates used to be larger and have a picture behind each one. And on Christmas day you used to get a whole bar of chocolate or at least a larger piece than the other days.

Now they're smaller than a single square of chocolate, they're all the same size and there's no pictures.
I remember there being ones a few years back that went all the up to new years eve as well. Not seen one of them in years though.