What's new

Achievements!

herbinator

Mega Poster
I'm going to thorpe today and am scared of heights, but if I go on saw and stealth which i have wussed out on multiple times i would class it as an achievement. I thought back and decided that there were a few coasters, I would class as achievements. To the point, do you class some rides as an achievement or is it 'just another coaster!'?

(sorry if it should have been in polls and opinions)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
SheiKra was the most notable one for me I think. Back in 2006 I really had to motivate myself to ride it. It was a combination of the drop (not much bigger than Oblivion) and the height. I don't really know what it was about the ride, but I remember being genuinely nervous about riding it.

The other one I guess I could mention was Furius Baco back in 2007. Again, it was just a case of not being so comfortable with coasters and I knew it was going to be one hell of a launch. It was.

So there have been coasters that, for me, have been achievements. I've not had the same feeling recently, however I've got a feeling that Kingda Ka will bring up those feelings again! Bring it on I say, what's the worst that could happen?

jokerman

Giga Poster
I remember, the first time I went on a large ride outside of England was Daemonen. For some reason I just felt uncomfortable going on a coaster in a country where I didn't speak the language. The ride ops all speak perfect English anyway, so it didn't really matter.

Snoo

The Legend
Usually if the ride has some mass appeal, such as a world record, I call it an achievement. For instance, been on the tallest in the world. Also, if I hit a marker in my count.. such as 100 (Voyage at Holiday World) or 200 (Batman: The Ride at SFGAm).. that's something I remember.

CreditCrazy

Hyper Poster
Revolution at SFMM, my first looping and also larger than a mine-train/wild mouse coaster, was a big achievement. If I didn't ever get myself on that, I probably wouldn't be a coaster enthusiast.

My first hyper coaster, Goliath at SFMM, was a big one as well.

F.A.S.T.

Hyper Poster
I've never noted riding a certain coaster as being a "achievement". Sure you may have ridden a record breaking coaster, but as you put it, its just another coaster. Coasters are not better just because they break a record, they are based on their overall ride experience. However I believe reaching a certain coaster count is a achievement. You strive to keep on growing your CC, and it demonstrates your "maturity" as an enthusiast. Riding a single certain coaster does not.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ I wouldn't agree with that at all.

Increasing your coaster count isn't really an achievement in my eyes. I'd rather ride ONE of my "must ride" coasters than 20 Big Apples. That's more of an achievement to me.

F.A.S.T.

Hyper Poster
^Well true, coaster quality does count. Riding 20 of any crappy coaster is not an achievement, however, a large well varied CC, with respectable coasters on it, is better than only riding a single great ride.

CMonster

Giga Poster
For me, what I would classify as an achievement isn't based on coaster count or world records (well, maybe world records) but more of personal bests.

For instance, Montu was my first real coaster, as before my biggest was like Scorpion or something smaller. Rock 'n' Roller Coaster was my first launch coaster, so that's another achievement for me even though it's not exactly the best coaster.

So, things like that I guess.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
F.A.S.T. said:
^Well true, coaster quality does count. Riding 20 of any crappy coaster is not an achievement, however, a large well varied CC, with respectable coasters on it, is better than only riding a single great ride.
Been checking out my coaster count there bud? :p
Achievements for me are getting to ride coasters when you didn't think you would be able to. Like managing to squeeze Goliath at Walibi World in during our Germany/Denmark trip last summer. Or managing to get to Disneyland to ride to ride Ghost Galaxy the day it opened. Etc.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
El Toro was an achievement for me because I didn't think I would be able to ride it when I did. I thought I would have to wait a lot longer due to its location. I'm still waiting on Boulder Dash and Bizarro(SFNE) though.

Xpress

Strata Poster
Xcelerator has to be my biggest achievement. The first few times I went to KBF, I wouldn't go near it, then one time I said **** it and had a blast.

By absolute, most favorite coaster out there.

yinyang

Mega Poster
I class drop towers as achievements as I am scared of them more than any coaster or other flat ride. But afterwards I always have such an adrenaline rush as I really am so scared of them but force myself on them because of the rush I get afterwards, but in the queues I am genuinely scared even though I know i won't die because it's perfectly safe.

wabbit42

Mega Poster
Heights are the thing for me. AT BGE, I was petrified of Apollos Chariot and Griffon, but once I had ridden them they became two of my favourite coasters. So any coaster I fear is an achievement.

Kebab

Giga Poster
It's not a coaster but personally an achievement of mine; Hurakan Condor at PortAventura, my very first drop tower experience and at a height of 330 feet!

And I must admit I found Stealth quite an achievement too, but after a ride or two I couldn't get enough of it! :)

CMonster

Giga Poster
I would also say Manta and HRRR are achievements for me; Manta was my first flyer and like no other coaster I've experienced, and HRRR was so unexpected as I asked my parents if I could go like two days before I did. Plus it's also very unique and unlike any other coaster I've been on.

Waffleman

Mega Poster
Dragster, as I went on it before Millennium Force, and the tallest I'd been on before that was Pepsi Max Big One, so with it being double the height and an insane launch as well, that felt really good.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
Tbh, any major american coaster or something outside the UK would be classed as an achievement to me. Finding a ride that actually has the WOW factor.

Bar Nemesis, Megafobia (back row), Oblivion and possibly Stealth on the first ever go, we don't have any "WOW" rides that blow you off. Mille did that on its first run for me. Ok it never quite had the wow factor for the other 7 rides on it, but it did it. I also remember shouting the words "f_ck me" on the brakes of TTD. It shows on the ORP! Rides that do that are high on the achievement list.

Maverick didn't do that untill I did it on the front, in the dark, in the pissing rain, with a bug in my eye... This bitch left me red raw in the back end of the train.

Also being able to tick off parts of that never ending "to do" list.

Cedar Point - TTD, Maverick and MilF - Check.
RF2 - An awesome woodie - Check.

Brookes

Giga Poster
For me it is obviously my first ever coaster, Trace du Hourra, which I consider an achievement, but also the first time I rode Silver Star. I was a bit nervous about the height but as soon as I had rode it I felt it was an achievement as it still is the highest coaster I have been on. Also riding Nemesis for the first time as, as a kid, I never thought I would ride it.