What's new

Accident on Disney's Skyliner Gondola

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
It appears that a log jam occurred on Disney's brand new gondola network last night:

Details of the incident are still scarce but the amazing Bioreconstruct provided a good amount of knowledge to piece together the event. The jam occurred as the gondolas were exiting the Riviera station outbound to Epcot. It appears the aqua colored gondola got mechanically hung up on something and failed to exit the station. Eventually, the entire system was shut down and the fire department was called to aid with evacuations.

The most concerning part of this incident is that it looks like this has already happened before:

Hopefully this is a case of Disney and Doppelmayr only partially root causing the issue instead of ignoring it outright. Neither situation would be good, but at least one involves an active investigation into a fix.

Matthew Fair

Mega Poster
Quite odd. Doppelmayr Gondola systems are in use in hundreds of locations across the globe and run flawlessly every day- yet the Disney one is open for less than a week before a serious incident occurs and the system is shut down.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
... the Disney one is open for less than a week before a serious incident occurs and the system is shut down.
I wasn't aware that they have only been open for a week, since they were running when I was there on July 30th. ?

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
That's another bizarre thing - they clearly tested the gondola thoroughly. How was this not found, or if it was as Bio alludes to, why wasn't it remedied prior to opening?

SimonProD

Mega Poster
Very weird accident. Dopplmayr operates many huge installations in major Central and South American cities - so it cant be the unifmiliar climate as in humidity/temps compared to ski ressorts. Could this be a programming error or operator fault???

Matthew Fair

Mega Poster
Does anyone know if Dopplmayr have built a ADA spur type system before? Sounds like the accident could be related to this system and if this is the first time Dopplmayr has made a system like this it could explain why the accident happened...

Last edited:

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
If this was caused by Doppelmayr being at fault, then it wouldn't be the first time they majorly ****ed up. *COUGHvertigoCOUGH*.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Rode it myself yesterday from DHS to Epcot. Ended up walking back to my car at DHS because the Epcot line was down... and by the time I made it to my car, was informed that all three lines had resumed normal operation

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Uh oh... Clearly this is an issue that hasn't been rectified, and honestly it wouldn't surprise me if we saw a lawsuit going Doppelmayr's way.
I doubt Doppelmayr is to be blamed on this one. I mean they provide most skiing resort cable transportation and their safety record seems to be great.

Not the first time Disney has been caught cutting corners or saving time on maintenance/training resulting in accidents (ie: BTM or Incredicoaster) that had nothing to do with the manufacturer.