What's new

Accident at Alton Towers

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
(...)twisted (...) effects (...) designed to mess with (...) your body.

Yeah, that's not the most fortunate wording they could have had in this situation. It seems like a re-theme is the least they should do.

WelcomeToOblivion

Giga Poster
The thing that plays in my mind is that they queued for the front row. I really hope it's not constantly going through their heads, especially Leah. Poor people, that one decision has affected them so badly :( just makes me think. Just horrible.

This has definitely been more reported than other incidents though. Whether it's because it's Alton Towers or because of the extent of the injuries. Only time will tell what happens.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Alton Towers, social media age, extent of the injuries, and somewhat ironically given the media slant on it, the relative rarity of such incidents.

coaster2015

Roller Poster
I was just reading in the tower times that they've removed practically every sign of the smiler... All merchandise in the shops etc
Refreshing to read their reports over the tabloids!

mcg0ughchris

Mega Poster
Moving away from the horrific injuries for one second and looking at it from a business point of view.

The people that are saying there won't be a re-theme I'd just like to hear what logic you are basing that on? I understand the park invested 18M and then X amount more on advertising etc but after this accident the brand is now detrimental to the park. What's the point of having a theme for a ride that you can no longer promote. If I was in charge I'd cut all ties and stop all merch from the Smiler ASAP. You can't open it up with the same backstory because it's going to hit close to home and they're going to potentially end up getting sued for more damages or at the very least risk a media storm of huge proportion. A company this size can't afford too much negative publicity even if it means taking a blow on an 18mil investment.

Secondly they can't risk opening this back up without changing the track. The track is broken and has been broken from the start. The ride breaks down on a daily basis, the train has stalled on numerous occasions. People are going to be watching this like a hawk waiting for faults, both the GP and media, and if something does go wrong to any extent then it'll make the news just because of past history. Imagine if they were testing the ride between 9am and 10 am ERT morning and a train stalled on the same element next year and a member of the GP managed to get pics or a video on there mobile. Within 10 mins it'd be all over Facebook and Twitter and Alton would again be left explaining themselves.

Sometimes from a business perspective you realise that something is broken and you've just got to see past it.

A company of the size of Merlin has enough funds to invest in something more than saving this ride. Personally I think the risk potential is too great in comparison to the reward. No chance this is even going to draw anymore even with a re-theme

Smithy

Strata Poster
They could easily open it with the same theme in my opinion, as long as it was a soft opening without a big advertising campaign etc...

The brand isn't what caused or related to the accident so it's not necessarily a toxic brand. If anything, they'd possibly do better to keep the Smiler brand (minus all the talk of correction and marmalisation) on the quiet than to rebrand with one big giant song and dance which would just remind everybody of the accident by drawing attention to it.

I've said they should have fixed it from valleying before this incident and I'm still saying it now. The issues with the track coming apart as Joey mentioned earlier are also signs of poor build quality somewhere along the process.

mcg0ughchris

Mega Poster
Why would a company the size of Merlin risk using the same brand and theme though? It wouldn't make any sense. They're not strapped for cash.

I've personally been involved running businesses for a while now and if I had a product in which the manufacturer had received significant negative publicity I'd want to remove their product and distance myself from them ASAP even if I'd recently received a substantial order. Sometimes you just have to weigh it up.

Maybe in 2016 people womt remember about the accident
Maybe they won't care about the theme and backstory
Maybe the media will have moved on
Maybe the victims of the incident won't have hard feelings and all be satisfied with their compensation.
Maybe they'll fix the track and it'll never break again

There's too many maybes. If I was sitting in a meeting and people weren't giving me guarantees I just don't think you could risk the negative publicity and potential backlash. Plus the whole sensitivity issue sorrounding it.

Thinking about it a bit further and they can't just try sneakily opening it with a soft opening. That just makes them look even more shady. I reckon if this re-opens with no changes they're going to need to give some kind of explanation as to why they're keeping it the same theme, what new procedures are in place to make sure this never ever happens again and make sure that all of the court cases are done and dusted. Imagine if it stalled again during an ongoing compensation case, solicitors would be licking their lips, they're hardly the most forgiving individuals as it is. This being irrelevant though because they'll never ever risk it, like ever ever.

coaster2015

Roller Poster
From The Towers Times :

Across the resort all merchandise relating to The Smiler has been removed from sale with the only evidence remaining being The Smiler branded vinyls in Towers Trading indicating where the merchandise formerly resided, the space below is now occupied by Oblivion products. Over at the Alton Towers Hotel, The Smiler bedroom has been removed from sale and the two signs indicating the parking spaces for the room have been removed. All references to the ‘Big 6’ promotion have been removed from the park, indicating that the initiative has been discontinued. Family Scarefest posters were still on display around the park, however the more thrill orientated graphics, which heavily featured The Smiler, have been replaced – could this indicate a more family orientated Scarefest in light of recent events?

LFH

Roller Poster
Hi there, Total lurker here who doesn't really have much of interest in coasters but stumbled across this site following The Smiler incident. I've been reading this thread with interest as it provides a much more balanced view on the incident without the jumped up media BS that's on every news bulletin.

The reason I signed up tonight was to point something out that I don't think anyone has noticed, Your talking about the reliability of The Smiler and how they may need to change the track as it is always stalls on the same section, Well has anyone looked on Google Earth?

There is only one areal image of The Smiler available dated 6/4/2013 and in the image is a crane pulling a stalled car off the track!
(*Won't let me upload the image to the post*)

Not much of a good sign if even the folks at Google Earth can capture it in an areal photo.
Definitely need to modify that double loop into a single or something else before they even consider re opening
The brand should be kept but toned down and not advertised anymore as its always going to known as The Smiler regardless.
Just my opinion as someone who knows nothing about coasters.

Keep up the good banter you have a really good forum here. =D>

Mit deLuxe

Hyper Poster
I don't think they need to re-brand the ride, the brand had nothing to do with the accident. I mean Disney (A MUCH larger global company than Merlin) have had deaths on Big Thunder Railroad and even It's a Small World, and there has been no re-branding there! Accidents happen and unfortunately the media have gone to town with this one.

mcg0ughchris

Mega Poster
Those disney brands are absolutely iconic multi park rides that have been around for decades though. Plus Disney is on a different level to Merlin.

Smiler has been nothing but hassle from day one and it's only two years old. We'll see what happens though. We won't be finding out until this time next year at the very soonest in my opinion

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
^ An accident with no deaths taking a whole year to reopen? New Texas Giant opened relatively quickly after the accident, so I don't see how this should be any longer. I'd give it a month at most.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
LFH said:
Hi there, Total lurker here who doesn't really have much of interest in coasters but stumbled across this site following The Smiler incident. I've been reading this thread with interest as it provides a much more balanced view on the incident without the jumped up media BS that's on every news bulletin.

The reason I signed up tonight was to point something out that I don't think anyone has noticed, Your talking about the reliability of The Smiler and how they may need to change the track as it is always stalls on the same section, Well has anyone looked on Google Earth?

There is only one areal image of The Smiler available dated 6/4/2013 and in the image is a crane pulling a stalled car off the track!

Not much of a good sign if even the folks at Google Earth can capture it in an areal photo.
Definitely need to modify that double loop into a single or something else before they even consider re opening
The brand should be kept but toned down and not advertised anymore as its always going to known as The Smiler regardless.

Hi, and thanks for signing up. You can post links after you have 5 posts.

The Google Earth image was snapped during construction (well, before its official opening), so yes it does indicate that section of track might have been a trouble spot. The train could have been there for a number of reasons but it is rather convenient.

With regards to the theme/brand, I agree with mcg0ughchris. Toxic brands are not good. You only have to look at the hoo-har from Visa after the FIFA aligations a few weeks ago. Association can be bad when publicity is negative. Merlin are a big company with broad shoulders and a large wallet. They can ride this through, if you'd excuse the pun.

In other news, apparently the people involved have been sent a letter where the park has formally admitted liability. Those involved are recommended to instruct a lawyer to begin proceedings. With the exceptions of the actual accident occurrence and taking 11mins to call 999, Merlin has handled the incident very well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    600.2 KB · Views: 1

mcg0ughchris

Mega Poster
GuyWithAStick said:
^ An accident with no deaths taking a whole year to reopen? New Texas Giant opened relatively quickly after the accident, so I don't see how this should be any longer. I'd give it a month at most.

I've never known a park close for an entire week though.

They'll never open this ride back up when they've got 16 pending court cases and know for definite that it could potential stall again. Nor will they do any construction to it mid season, eespecially with kids summer hols coming up. I've no idea how they could reopen it. They won't even give details about what's actually wrong with it and they seen to be playing their cards very close to their chests regarding the whole situation. No chance this will be open this season

mcg0ughchris

Mega Poster
Ian said:
LFH said:

Hi, and thanks for signing up. You can post links after you have 5 posts.

The Google Earth image was snapped during construction (well, before its official opening), so yes it does indicate that section of track might have been a trouble spot. The train could have been there for a number of reasons but it is rather convenient.

With regards to the theme/brand, I agree with mcg0ughchris. Toxic brands are not good. You only have to look at the hoo-har from Visa after the FIFA aligations a few weeks ago. Association can be bad when publicity is negative. Merlin are a big company with broad shoulders and a large wallet. They can ride this through, if you'd excuse the pun.

In other news, apparently the people involved have been sent a letter where the park has formally admitted liability. Those involved are recommended to instruct a lawyer to begin proceedings. With the exceptions of the actual accident occurrence and taking 11mins to call 999, Merlin has handled the incident very well.

Fair play to them accepting full liability. All the victims should get a fair payout, very high, if you're one of the four that were so unfortunate to be front row.

This again points towards them wanting it to move as fast an amicable as possible. Looks like money isn't their priority but more public relations which is a very sensible move in my opinion.

As far as branding goes I think you've got to look at it from the perspective of the GP. We on this site more than likely have a greater understanding of coasters, know the systems, risk factor, accident % etc.

The public see what the media wants them to see.

This time last year The Smiler was the world's first 14 looping amazing roller coaster that was hyped up on adverts. The public rushed to get on it and couldn't care less about poor engineering, car design, track design, stalling.

Fast forward one year and The Smiler is an accident waiting to happen and the scene of a terrible tragedy. Now the public do care that it's broken. Alton can't advertise it again. It can't ever be an active draw for the park now. You Google it and negative publicity is gonna be attached to it.

Plus you can't really compare thunder mountain and this. Seriously if you knew nothing about roller coasters what's going to look more intimidating to you? A mine train ride at a disney park or this monstrosity with 14 inversions and endless amounts of twisted black track. There's even something off about the logo, even that's in poor taste now. I'm sorry guys but this is the truth

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
I'm not sure how the branding will go but I don't think I've seen any media outlet actually pick up on the theme of the coaster. Saw is basically about chopping people's limbs off and still nobody has really said anything about it. I don't think half the people who ride it really get the themeing, I haven't ridden it myself but the main vibe seems to be strange and trippy rather than super sinister.

Maybe time to stop themeing your rides to death and destruction Merlin!! It would be a lot easier to keep say the air or stealth theme after an incident.

scw55

Hyper Poster
SilverArrow said:
Maybe time to stop themeing your rides to death and destruction Merlin!! It would be a lot easier to keep say the air or stealth theme after an incident.

The Smiler is themed after Happiness and surreal in the eyes of the public.

I don't know if many visitors will be aware of the story.

If this happened on Oblivion or the rivers of blood Nemesis then I would be in agreement of really awkward themeing.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
There won't be 16 court cases. Alton will look at what each injury is "worth" and offer a bit above that to avoid even more negative publicity due to numerous, lengthy court cases.

The lawyers will be well aware of the "value" of each injury, and/or mental trauma, and will advise settling accordingly.

There will likely be a criminal case brought by Health and Safety though.

Coaster_Phil

Roller Poster
My deepest sympathies are with those that were in the accident. We all know that this should never happen and we all know on here just how rare this is.

It does sound to me that AT were at fault more than the actual ride but I'm sure we'll know this for sure in a few months.

I'd just like to say that I don't feel it needs a rebrand or to be torn down. I'd happily ride it again once it's all deemed as safe and I've spoken to loads of friends who are not enthusiasts and they say they'll ride it again. Who here would ride it again?

I think merlin have handled it very well actually, with the exception of the accident it self and the delay in calling 999. I now think they will need to do some serious work on the coaster to solve some of its issues and they will need to publicise that they have done that too.