What's new

Accident at Alton Towers

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
Joey said:
Oh, is there any evidence of that which I missed?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
It wasn't parking properly and many of the effects were broken, but again this is something that should have been fixed in the closed season!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, no more evidence than there is of the IPs running out. It's just speculation that has nothing to do with the accident :lol:

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
Sorry to be off topic, quick question: Has Nemesis been open or is it still being repainted? (If you have pics pls share thanks)

nealbie

CF Legend
Tis open and looks godawful. At least some of the supports near the stall turn still look old and sinister.

Continues to ride fabulously though.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
nealbie said:
Tis open and looks godawful. At least some of the supports near the stall turn still look old and sinister.

Continues to ride fabulously though.
See I'm the opposite, I think it looks brilliant, the best it's looked in years, when the rest of the supports and painting has finished it will look amazing.

Lofty

CF Legend
From what I've heard they're starting to paint it overnight and it's nearly complete - how true this is I don't know.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
furie said:
Yeah, no more evidence than there is of the IPs running out. It's just speculation that has nothing to do with the accident :lol:

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Dunno, probably is to do with it in a roundabout way.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
cjbrandy said:
Sorry to be off topic, quick question: Has Nemesis been open or is it still being repainted? (If you have pics pls share thanks)

[tweet]http://twitter.com/coasterforce/status/711572500778524672[/tweet]

At the moment it looks too white, too fresh. And the "rusty" parts are too uniform and obvious. The whole track looks a bit too shiny for my liking. Hopefully when it's weathered a bit it'll look fab but at the moment I think it's too clean looking. However, some people I was with loved it. I think it's a good thing, it needs time to bed it. The queue area has been cleaned up, which is great.

If you're going to go off topic, please set up another. That's what the forums are for!

mouse

Giga Poster

Smithy

Strata Poster
Gets given a million pound settlement, part of which is based around a "future loss of earnings" as a result of the crash.

Now probably earns more than she ever would have done previously from media appearances as a result of the crash.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
She also says she'll go on a coaster when she's ready. Which will probably be as the crash publicity is almost non-existent, enough to keep her stock high enough for a Celebrity Big Brother appearance. Good luck to her. Although I obviously want this all to fade into distant memory, I don't blame any of those involved making good whatever they can.

Sandman

Giga Poster
Christ, not to discredit the victims or anything but how long are the media going to milk the living **** out of the Smiler crash? This girl is going to have a blue plaque on her wall in a couple more years. We're now in a culture where 'celebrity victims' exist.

CoastinBear

Roller Poster
Looks like there'll be more milking today, as the court case against Merlin Entertainments begins in a few minutes...

EDIT: Interesting to see the two pictures of the women entering court: Leah is wearing black leggings and you can barely see that she now has an artificial leg. Vicky, on the other hand, is letting it all hang out - white bandages over the stump, very smart artificial leg and rather incongruous smart black shoes. Just an observation...

DelPiero

Strata Poster
There will probably be more in depth discussions around what actually happened, considering all we've had officially from Merlin is that is was Human Error not following protocols.
I'm expecting this to draw a line under the whole thing.

davidm

Strata Poster
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-36111412

The owners of Alton Towers have been told they face a large fine after admitting safety breaches on the Smiler rollercoaster ride.

Merlin Entertainments pleaded guilty to breaching the Health and Safety Act.

District Judge John McGarva, sitting at North Staffordshire Justice Centre, said the incident was a very serious case leading to life-changing injuries.

The crash last June saw two women have leg amputations as a result of their injuries.

Mr McGarva warned the firm it could face a large fine when it is sentenced.

The case has been referred to Stafford Crown Court for sentencing.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
This was reported by the Mirror;
The Mirror said:
During the brief hearing, HSE prosecutor Brendan Thorogood gave more information about its case against Merlin Attractions, saying staff had not been provided with proper procedure to avoid such an accident.

He told the court: “There wasn’t a system staff should should have had to follow.

“They overrode a computer controlled stop on the system and sent the train with some of those people here today around the ride.

“As a result those in the train came into collision with the stationary train.”
Bolded the interesting bit, of course there was a procedure, if that procedure was clear enough or followed correctly is the question.

Point being, system throws up block error and next train stops. What is the procedure? Clear error and send next train? No, most likely contact Manager or Engineer. Whats his procedure? Check block which has errored for reason? Likely, did they check? No. Ergo - procedure not followed.
I find it unlikely that Gerst didn't give full training to Ops/Managers/Engineers on what to do in this situation.

spicy

Giga Poster
This court case is getting much more media attention than I had imagined. Another blow for the park, just as it seems to be recovering Alton Towers name being dragged through the dirt again. Not going to help attendances.

BBC have a live report: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-engla ... e-36017361

Joey said:
Following the breakdown an engineer reset the ride because it threw up a fault that he'd literally just reset a minute ago. Except this time, the ride wasn't lying. That's my bet. He's wrong for not checking, but he's also human acting on instincts, emotion and accumulated knowledge.

I still believe that this is what happened.

CoastinBear

Roller Poster
DelPiero said:
This was reported by the Mirror;
The Mirror said:
During the brief hearing, HSE prosecutor Brendan Thorogood gave more information about its case against Merlin Attractions, saying staff had not been provided with proper procedure to avoid such an accident.

He told the court: “There wasn’t a system staff should should have had to follow.

“They overrode a computer controlled stop on the system and sent the train with some of those people here today around the ride.

“As a result those in the train came into collision with the stationary train.”
Bolded the interesting bit, of course there was a procedure, if that procedure was clear enough or followed correctly is the question.

Point being, system throws up block error and next train stops. What is the procedure? Clear error and send next train? No, most likely contact Manager or Engineer. Whats his procedure? Check block which has errored for reason? Likely, did they check? No. Ergo - procedure not followed.
I find it unlikely that Gerst didn't give full training to Ops/Managers/Engineers on what to do in this situation.

This is an interesting case, not least because the company accepted responsibility almost immediately afterwards.

There is another way to look at the part you put in bold text: Seeing as the management has put in a guilty plea, perhaps it is them who are taking the blame for the actual incident by accepting that they had not given the staff the proper procedures to follow. Now that would be a magnanimous gesture towards the staff whose actions caused the collision.