What's new

Abfahrt! Two German Parks and Oktoberfest!

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
Day 1:

Most of the photos are appearing sideways and I can't seem to get them the correct way round!

Myself @SilverArrow @Libby_Liz and @chainedbanana set off for Stuttgart! It had been three long years since I'd even ridden a cred so was concerned that I'd forgotten how, but that was an issue for later as we had Heathrow to content with.

I'd be lying if I said that sitting in the spoons in Heathrow airport, waiting for a delayed flight, was my preferred start to a trip but never mind. It gave me, Emily and Harry a chance to catch up and also gave us a chance to bump into Sue! It's a small world after all! Before you all cry that I've left Liz out, we we're meeting her on the over side, if we ever got there.
Finally a gate for provided but BA said we had board quickly as Stuttgart airport had a curfew of midnight and we wouldn't be able to land if we were late. Not that BA made any attempt tp hurry the boarding process and seemed to endlessly faff. There was also bag faff. Emily had to place her bag under the plane in the hold. We were about 2/3 of the way there when the captain announced that some, if not, bags were left in London so we could get going. When we landed I was one of the first off of the plane so went through passport control and sat by the baggage belt thing. 5 yes 5! Bag appeared. I was hoping one was Emily's, thankfully one was! Then we got a taxi to the hotel, met Liz and got up early to collect the hire care.

When picking up a hire car I always check for damages alongside the sheet that the company email to you. It's fair to say this car hadn't been looked after. IMG_4458.jpeg

Frankly the car was ****. An Opel Corsa. I cannot for the life of me see why these are so popular. Heavy pedals, cheap feeling gear change, just rubbish. I was missing my pussywagon that I cruise around in at home. I get this was a peasant spec car but still!

Anyway we hit the road and headed to a slightly moist Schawben Park. I'd heard this place described as "ghetto" but having originated from a 'ghetto' myself *cough* erm.. Cambridge, I wasn't worried.

First impressions were that it seemed ok. On to creds! I didn't take many photos. We started on Hummel Brummel, this weird suspended thing that is sort of powered by levels you can control. Decent overall.

Next we did Force One. Actually pretty good. Best cred I'd ridden for ages and actually felt the forces again haha. Next up was kiddie cred, train of shame. +1! Followed by the BobKart, totally a cred! We finished on the weird chicken thing. Was slightly terrifying! The ride isn't actually sideways but I can't get the photo be the correct way.

img_4462-jpeg.20602

German is home to many strange things, here are two of them:

IMG_4460.jpeg

We hit the road again and headed to Skyline Park!

We started on their spinner. Was ok, nothing much to write home about. Next up we did the Schwartz. It's being binned soon apparently so happy to get the cred!

IMG_4465.jpeg

This heap of rubbish was next:

307766372_2278141275689196_1171097095880293537_n.jpg

Honestly what the **** is this. Just awful. No speed, **** laugh and does **** all. Awful capacity too.

It was then time to eat. When in Germany:
IMG_4466.JPG

We did quite a fab GeistaBahn:

IMG_4467.jpeg

But enough of that! There's creds to get!

Next cred was a mincy suspended thing with a vertical lift. I didn't take a photo, you're welcome.
Skywheel is the biggest and also worst cred in the park. If you enjoy hang time then this is probably the ride for you. I'll be honest in saying that I was quite contempt with one lap, but was given two because I am ever so lucky.
We ticked off the SBF Visa Group spinning thing that was become the new Big Apple/ Crazy Caterpillar, man these things are ****ing everywhere! I heard a knocking at my window last night and wondered if it was a bird or one of these turd spinners.

Off to Munich we went with some new creds! A feeling that I had very much forgotten.

Those of you who know me, know I like a beer. In fact I've now tried over 5000 beers and judged Champion Beer Of Britain twice. That's impressed you hasn't it?

We headed to Augustiner am Platzl. I'd been before. It's a nice central Munich pub.
I had one of my all time faves Augustiner Helles and their 2022 Oktoberfest Bier! Tasty!
dinner before heading to bed as a day at Oktoberfest awaited. IMG_4471.JPG
DF25E7DE-63D7-4CC7-B999-92A081CD0BF3.jpg

Part 2 when I can be arsed. Tbf it might be shortly when I have filled a coffee in my face.

Attachments

• IMG_4465.jpeg
    IMG_4465.jpeg
    219 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4462.jpeg
    IMG_4462.jpeg
    117.4 KB · Views: 24

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
Day 2:

I realise that I neglected to mention why the word Abfahrt is in the title, it's an hilarious song that @SilverArrow managed to find on Spotify.

Day started by watching the parade. It was quite the spectacle of German outfits, horses, beer barrels and surprisingly decent tunes.
691E5215-599D-4EBA-B247-9F69AC55463C.jpg

We then headed to the main event:

IMG_4510.jpeg

IMG_4477.jpeg

The first thing we did was actually get a coffee! I love coffee!
Liz and I rode:

IMG_4480.jpeg

It was ok, maybe that is a tad harsh but I wasn't blown away by it. Some spinning and some lights. I guess it is impressive for a travelling cred but I wouldn't hurry to ride it again.

IMG_4481.JPG

Next up was the two mice. Decent rides, pretty fun. Harry pulled a face! We did some pirate themed big apple.

Anyone like the sound of this for an evening?

IMG_4483.jpeg

We then decided it was time for a beer. We found a little outdoor beer place:

IMG_4484.JPG

I ended up helping Liz and Harry drink theirs, which in hindsight was probably an error.

Beer onboard we headed into the old part of Oktoberfest. It was worth the €4 entry. We rode some very old rides including this early Coolio tribute:

IMG_4489.jpeg

RIP sweet prince in haven now wiv da angles and princess Di xxx
IMG_4490.jpeg

This sign was in the toilet:
IMG_4488.jpeg

There was a sort of museum of ghost trains thing:

IMG_4492.JPG

Then we went on this and I felt very dizzy afterwards:

IMG_4493.JPG

Being a Sunday and opening weekend, the main beer tents were rammed. There were two in the old section so we went to one. This is where the details start to get a bit hazy....

IMG_4496.jpeg

Now a sensible person would have had some proper food, but I elected to just eat this pretzel. We had a couple of beers and enjoyed the music. We decided it was time to move on. Liz and I decided to go to the other beer tent. At this point I was a bit tipsy. Naturally I decided to have a few more beers. Liz and I also danced and from what I remember I am/was an excellent dancer. By the time we left I was drunk. So details get even more hazy from this point.

Alpina Bahn was next. Somehow between ticket booth and ride I lost my ticket. Emily was far from amused by this. It was so much faff trying to to find it that the operator let me on. I don't remember anything about Alpina Bahn or this photo:

IMG_4505.JPG

We then headed back to the hotel. I'm hoping drunk Dan wasn't too much of a pain on the train!

Part 3 soon!

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
Double post but it's part 3 time!

Day 3:

A short update.

A very hungover Dan slithered down to breakfast to consume copious amounts of coffee and bacon. Drink responsibly kids!

We then headed back to the festival, I got a coffee on the way. We headed into a big beer tent:

7343F0C2-4080-4BD9-8B1A-111D4F5C415B.jpg

Emily and Harry went to watch a show. Liz and I sat listening to the music and ate a pretzel.

I rode Alphina Bahn again and enjoyed it. Not much airtime from the hill but some good forces. Emily and I rode Looping front row. Emily was filming a POV for the excellent Retro Rollercoasters channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHVg4tBNash_yinXeQ26REg. Therefore I had to be quiet and not say anything rude to keep the POV family friendly.

Lunch time:

IMG_4516.jpeg

Sausage with cheese, cheesy potato noodles and more sausages. This was in the cheese tent!

After this Harry and I rode a ghost train and then I had to head to the airport. Uneventful flight and I got back to Cambridge at around 3am. Then I had to get up at 9am to listen to someone badly explain V/q ratio.

A great trip overall! Thanks to Emily, Harry and Liz! Amazing to be getting creds again! Now only 5 away from 500!
Hope you you enjoyed this report.