What's new

A Trip to the Theatre

Been wanting to see Wicked since I first heard of it in grade seven, and finally I got my chance tonight! I was nervous that maybe I'd regret spending $245 for me and my mum to go and see it, but it only comes once every few years and I had to snag the opportunity. We were fourth from the front and just a bit to the left of the stage, so we had a pretty good view.

As far as the show itself, it was great. It was everything I ever expected it to be and like in Lion King, some of the scenes had me tearing up, not so much for emotion than for sheer brilliance! I loved the sets, and I thought the actors were all quite good as well, although I think Glinda's voice could have been a bit more powerful. Either way though, it was amazing <3

Oh, and Fiyero and the monkeys were lookin' mighty fine.

sleeping_beauty_6.jpg

david-nathan-perlow-and-anne-brummel-wicked.jpg

350px-Tiffany_as_glinda2.jpg

Another bonus is that I didn't get shot in downtown Detroit <3

Can't decide whether I liked this or Lion King better to be honest. They both blew me away! This was the cast that was there when we saw it (Anne Brummel and Tiffany Haas):

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEiTtYF9oNU&feature=related[/youtube]

peep

CF Legend
On Wednesday I went to see two shows. First up was The Lion King

This isn't the first time I've seen it and I still absolutely love it. We reckon the kid who plays Simba was the same from the first time and I really don't like him, he's ok as an actor but as a singer he completely fails, oh well a minor flaw in such a fantastic production. Oh the woman playing adult Nala was amazing, when she sang Shadowlands it was just wow.

Then saw The Ladykillers in the evening.

I've wanted to see this ever since it was announced. It was totally worth the wait, absolutely amazing cast and was hilarious from start to finish. I wondered how they would portray parts of the film on the stage and how they did those parts suprised me and made me laugh, a lot. The set was just genius, quirky and clever, just so many hidden treasures throughout the show. I still can't get over how brilliant this show was, just so funny throughout. Very tempted to go and see it again in a couple of months. :D

Aaron

Hyper Poster
^let me know, I really want to see that too!

Went to see Cinderella on Ice the other night, it was ok, wouldn't have chosen it for myself to be honest but some of the acrobatics were impressive. Fairly meh overall though lol

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JBNW1kWRHk[/youtube]

Went to see Cirque du Soleil- Quidam last night. To be honest I wasn't expecting muh because some of the reviews weren't super promising, but it was brilliant! Having said that, I've not yet seen the bigger productions in Vegas (I really want to though), but yeah, it was still great. It made me sad that I don't have any awesome talents like they do! The only thing I wish was that they had a bit more of an elaborate storyline, but whatever, the story isn't what matters, it's the performance and acrobatics, which were incredible!

9/10

Ollie

CF Legend
Saw Barry & Stuart: Show and Tell last night.
For those who don't know, Barry & Stuart are a magician duo who most probably saw when they were on 'The Magicians' on the BBC. The show is split into two halves. First is 'The Show' where they do their usual show. Then after the interval you're given the choice if you want to come back to see 'The Tell', where they go into the details about how each trick was achieved and how it works.

Anyway I wanted to see them earlier but they weren't performing anywhere near us. Anyway I happened to search ebay and found someone selling their tickets because they couldn't go anymore. Managed to nab 2 tickets for 99p and they were good seats as well as we were in Row D of the stalls right in the middle. :)

Only downside was the tickets were for Tunbridge Wells which is about 2 hour drive away. We didn't mind too much as the tickets were so cheap and me and my brother could split the cost of petrol.

The theatre was pretty strange. It's an old converted church. I wonder what the religious people would say about a magic show (promoting the dark arts according to them) being done in a house of God? :p
223953_4052567429629_1698975211_n.jpg

550437_4052567869640_1918662972_n.jpg

547248_4052568189648_1242127739_n.jpg

We got there early so sat in the bar and had a drink. And the stewards were coming around handing out the rose tinted glasses for the show (more on them in a little bit).
522574_4052568949667_1632075593_n.jpg

303625_4052569309676_1808551510_n.jpg

While we were waiting to go in another woman and her daughter sat next to us and were telling us about when they last saw them at Thorpe Park when they were there for Fright Nights.

We then moved into the theatre and took our seats. On the screen it said Please DON'T put your glasses on. Which is what you usually get in places with 3D glasses etc.
389619_4052569589683_778282273_n.jpg

Although being a rebel I put mine on and because the word DON'T was in red the glasses made the word vanish changing the instructions to "Please put your glasses on". When the show started they pointed out that those who worked that out were the ones who thought most like magicians in trying to see things from a different perspective.

The show begun with them telling us to put the glasses on and Barry making Stuart appear inside an empty box. They then used this to explain what the glasses were for. They told us they were going to repeat the trick and those who wanted to find out how it was done to watch the trick without the glasses but for those wishing for it to remain a secret to keep them on and watch it through the rose tinted glasses.

This worked as while the trick was being performed the screen behind them showed how it worked and how Stuart ended up inside the box. The outline of his body was in red so people with the glasses wouldn't be able to see him on the screen. Pretty clever and cool idea. :)

Anyway the rest of the show involved some escapology, an amazing memory feat, a game of Russian Roulette with a goldfish and some acid, a suicide shop, turning water into wine, tricks using Twitter and Facebook and a magic trick where they both performed it completely naked.

It was a great show and really enjoyable. They used a lot of humour but also weren't afraid to scare the audience and make them jump.
556933_4052569949692_1100614846_n.jpg

After the interval. Most people decided to come back in. Here they explained the reasons for revealing the tricks as like they said. Sometimes the workings behind the tricks are much more impressive than the trick itself. It was interesting to watch and they went into loads of detail giving away all the workings. The show then ended with them inviting the audience to try and capture some ghost ESP. They played a video and we were told to watch to see that nothing was unusual about it. They then played it again and told everyone to take a picture of the static on their mobile phone cameras. When people did this they could see a face in the static which their cameras picked up but you couldn't see it with the naked eye.
543199_4052645631584_967843167_n.jpg

319718_4052645831589_1025034649_n.jpg

428446_4052645991593_441661622_n.jpg

There's a clip of this being performed if you're interested by Brian Brushwood in this video here. Skip to 6:55 to get to that part though. http://revision3.com/scamschool/newyorkcity2

Overall it was a great show and worth going to see. Especially if you're the type of person who usually gets annoyed at magic shows and you'd rather just know how it's done. Only negative points I can think of is that not EVERY trick is explained. Although these were only a couple of minor ones they did in between their main tricks but one of them I really wanted to know as a couple of weeks earlier I was tempted to buy it. :p

After the show they thanked everyone for being a fantastic audience and said that they'd be out in the foyer if anyone wanted stuff signed and wanted a picture.

I hung back a bit so got to speak to them a bit longer and I told them that I wanted to know how one of tricks they didn't explain was done. Although they couldn't explain it as like films and movies etc if they don't own the trick they can't reveal it if they don't own the rights to do so. Especially if they're getting money for it. But the hints they gave me was enough for me to confirm how it was done and they recommended that I purchase the version that I was going to originally as they said it's much better than theirs as they kept it simple. Anyway after that I got my stuff signed had a photo taken and shook their hands and said thank you.
522476_4052564349552_630145960_n.jpg

peep

CF Legend
Saw a couple of shows at the weekend. On Friday night we saw Matilda: The Musical

I was really looking forward to this and despite sitting in the second row from the back on the balcony I was still able to clearly see all the awesomeness. Obviously we all know the story but with all the songs, the epic stage and effects and the most amazing cast of kids ever put together it was just one hell of a show. I thought the songs didn't really stay with you (memorable) but they were fun and worked really well for the show. It's definitely one of the best shows on the West End at the moment. Trunchball <3

Then on Saturday we saw Sweeney Todd

Once again we were right at the back but this time of the stalls. This meant we couldn't really see the top half of the stage where they occasionally had random people stand and sing. Oh well, all the awesomeness happened in the lower half anyways. I'd never seen Michael Ball in anything before and I can see why he gets a lot of praise, I thought he was really good but for me Imelda Staunton really stole the show. She was just amazing as Mrs Lovett, just perfect. I'm not really a fan of the songs in Sweeney Todd (apart from a little priest) but the show overall is really fantastic fun and I really enjoyed it.

peep

CF Legend
Lol, I had a feeling I'd have been the last person to post in here.

Last weekend the aim was to get tickets for Matilda, cheap tickets sold out so we ended up seeing Rock of Ages.

I'm not sure if it was awful or if we were just miffed about it not being Matilda but none of us thought it was great. Like, most of the songs are recognizable and great but I dunno, they ruined a couple of songs imo and I wasn't a massive fan of the way it was like 'yeah we're fully aware of a live audience'. Well, apart from a bit at the start where the 'narrator-like' guy talks to a lady in the front row and asks her to reach out and grab his stick, she actually went to grab it which sent him into hysterics because no one ever reaches for it. That was genuinely amazing. But overall it was a bit awful.

Then last night I saw Loserville.

I was in the 4th row! I've not sat that close to the stage before. The show was energetic and fun despite having a really predictable plot which was just a rip from other shows/films. I think if it wasn't for the cool set, the energetic songs and all the props looking like notepad paper (phones etc) I think it would have been a bit sh*te. So I enjoyed it but I don't think it's for everyone.

Will try again soon to see Matilda (because it's so frickin' amazing)

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Rock of Ages looks ****. I absolutely hate the whole concept of jukebox musicals. They're just such an obvious, lazy way to do things. Mama Mia's got a lot to answer for.

Mark

Strata Poster
gavin said:
Rock of Ages looks ****. I absolutely hate the whole concept of jukebox musicals. They're just such an obvious, lazy way to do things. Mama Mia's got a lot to answer for.

To be fair, they have been making Jukebox Musicals since the 60s. Summer Holiday for example so its not entirely Mamma Mias fault... (Didn't the Beatles and Elvis also do some rather dodgy musical movies?)

Anyways, courtesy of Gavin, Marc and I recently went to see The Phantom of the Opera

Now, to set the scene, Phantom is a show that I have been wanting to see since I found out the songs I had been singing for over a year in my primary school choir were from the show. My parents never got round to it and in turn neither did I in adulthood. I knew the soundtrack back to front, seen and owned the film and the 25th anniversary DVD to boot. Likewise, Marc had never ever seen it either despite wanting to.

Cue Gavin and an incredibly thoughtful Wedding Gift after a conversation where Phantom was mentioned. (I still remember getting teary when we opened the present which was the tickets to go see)

Phantom has an incredible reputation that certainly leaves you with high hopes. I mean the fact it has been running for 25 years says a lot but actually, it doesn't even begin to match with just how good the show truly is. Some fans have been to see the show hundreds of times and having now seen it, I can totally understand.

The theatre itself was far smaller than what I was expecting but it was nice and meant that our 5th row seats meant we were right in the thick of it with the performers. <3

From the moment the show started and you hear the musical box with the monkey my spine was tingling and excitement was building. I was totally captivated as the overture kicked in and the chandelier rose to the ceiling. I mean seriously, its a flipping ornament being hoisted up into the air, not exactly riveting stuff in itself, but the sheer scale of it, coupled with the gorgeous orchestra was a serious WOW.

It just didn't stop there. The performers singing voices, the songs, the acting, the story, the set and the way it operates and the dancing all combine into something that I can only describe as magical. A romantic statement perhaps, but that show really embodies that romance. From start to finish I was totally enthralled by the majesty of the show. I can honestly say that there was not a single moment where I felt something was bad. Some may say that Phantom is overrated by I think it deserves ever accolade that it is given. I totally adored and loved it and will more than likely make special effort to see it again and take others that haven't seen it.

If you haven't seen it, go and go now. It is sheer brilliance!

Ben

CF Legend
Yeah, Phantom's awesome.

Went to see American Idiot. It was OK, about as good as a Green Day musical that ignores the time when they were good (Dookie) can be.

Saw 9 to 5 with Gavin a while ago. It was so camp and fabulous <3

Going to see Les Mis again in April, so excited <3

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Just booked some tickets for when the Lion King comes to Manchester. I've seen it in London twice and it was amazing!

peep

CF Legend
Thekingin64 said:
Just booked some tickets for when the Lion King comes to Manchester. I've seen it in London twice and it was amazing!

I'm intrigued as to how they'd do it at smaller theatres. Lion King is amazing though, I really want to sit in the stalls but it's so expensive </3

^Yes, I really need to book up some tickets for Book of Mormon, I hear it's amazing so I'll have to check it out when it opens in March.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
^My Aunt and Uncle saw it when it was on Broadway still and they said it is the funniest show they have ever seen. I can't wait to see it.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
peep said:
Thekingin64 said:

I'm intrigued as to how they'd do it at smaller theatres. Lion King is amazing though, I really want to sit in the stalls but it's so expensive </3

It's at the Palace which is still a big theatre so it shouldn't be much different.

I've actually sat in the stalls at the Lyceum on the 2nd time seeing it and it was brilliant.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Yeah, the Palace is far from a "smaller" theatre. The stage is huge and the seating capacity is only about a hundred less than the Lyceum. It's actually bigger than most West End theatres.

Silly Southerner assuming that anything outside London is small.

Got my second row stalls tickets in the post yesterday.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Saw Lion King last Saturday night and it was amazing!

All actors were brilliant and it reminded me just how much I love the film.

You need a head for heights for my seat up in the Grand Tier though. Very high up and very steep. It almost feels like you need a seatbelt to avoid falling. Suprisingly good view though.

Lottie.

Mega Poster
I'm off to see the Phantom of the Opera at the Mayflower in Southampton tomorrow night. I love the show and I have already seen it in London <3 Can't wait.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Let us know how it is. I was tempted to see that touring production in Manchester, but was a bit worried to be shelling out that kind of cash for a scaled back version.

It's on in Liverpool soon as well, and I'm still semi-tempted. If the staging is drastically different though, I'll be a bit disappointed I think.