What's new

A Trip to the Theatre

peep

CF Legend
Saw Betty Blue Eyes last night.

It really is amazing. We didn't get Sarah Lancashire though as she's on holiday at the moment apparently. However the understudy was ace, well the whole cast were just amazing, they could really belt out a tune. Oh and Reece Shearsmith is awesome, he clearly needs to do more stuff like this. In a way it reminded me of Lend me a tenor in the way it plays out like a classic British comedy film. It's just so enjoyable and although the first half isn't that funny the second half is brilliant, up there as one of the funniest shows I've seen. The pig animatronic was stunning, it was just so realistic and from the reaction from the audience I think some people thought it was real lol. The songs are really good fun too, I had the "There's a pig in the house" song in my head this morning. I look forward to getting the soundtrack when it gets released.

It's a shame it's closing in a couple of weeks so if you get the chance go see it!!!

WTF is up with all these awesome shows closing? Hmm.

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
peep said:
Saw Betty Blue Eyes I had the "There's a pig in the house" song in my head this morning. I look forward to getting the soundtrack when it gets released.

I've had that and "Fair shares! Fair shares for all" in my head since I saw it too. I agree it was fantastic.

Ben

CF Legend
peep said:
Oh and Reece Shearsmith is awesome, he clearly needs to do more stuff like this.

He was in The Producers when it opened over here, and he was AMAZING in that <3

peep

CF Legend
^I totally didn't know that *now wishes I'd seen it when it was open* :(

Umm, I'm hearing rumours that Book of Mormon is actually coming to London later this year, does anyone else know anything about this?

Ben

CF Legend
Later this year is probably a bit early, everything I've heard is next year.

Which would RULE.

mouse

Giga Poster
Last month I saw Chess: The musical
This was really well done, basically it's about this chess championship where one mans manager (and partner) falls in love with his rival and stuff happens. All the actors playing the chess pieces were actor-musicians, so they were playing all the music, singing and acting. Overall a really good show, one of the best I've seen. :)

And the other day I saw Grease, the musical
Not much too say about this, the songs where good, especially the dancing. Robin Cousins was in it, he was good, but I didn't like all the fuss around him. Overall, not overly impressed, but still good.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
People who pay to see Grease, therefore keeping that god-awful piece of **** musical going basically continuously in every major theatre of every major city in the country, should be executed.

Chess is a weird one though. I saw it a few years ago and really liked it. It should be boring as all hell, but it's somehow all quite enjoyable and I'm not really sure why.

I Know Him So Well <3

peep

CF Legend
^Well at least Grease finally left the West End this year however it did get replaced by Ghost: The Musical :l

alexr

Hyper Poster
Sort of off Topic but has anyone been to see Avenue Q, After seeing AJ'S Song in the contest I looked it up and it seems quite good. Anyone Seen it before and what did they think?

Ben

CF Legend
^Yeah, I think most of us have seen it tbh :p

I saw it three times in London. Yeah, it's absolutely amazing and probably the funniest show I've ever seen.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^^^Ghost was actually alright.

The music's a bit crap, the dialogue is plain awful, and obviously if you've seen the film you know exactly what's going to happen (it's basically identical), but it's really impressive visually, and Sharon D. Clarke (plays the Whoopee Goldberg character and was the original Killer Queen in We Will Rock You) is absolutely fantastic in it.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
^ Avenue Q is pretty much top of my "to see" list, well, it is now because...

Bought tickets for American Idiot: The Musical this morning :) I've been wanting to see it since it previewed in the US about 4 years ago and was willing to go to New York for a week just to watch it, but it's touring the UK next year so I jizzed and bought tickets as soon as they were on general release this morning ^_^

Set me back a good £40 each for them though, which is about the same amount it cost for me to go see the band live in 2005 in Milton Keynes :/

But I would've paid any price to go. I just hate **** 02 users who'd snapped up all the cheaper and most of the better seats -_-

364 days to go :p

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I'm debating whether to fork out for Phantom of the Opera in Manchester in April. I LOVE it, but I've seen it a few times already now, so not sure if I want to splash the cash to see it again. It's a "new" production though, which could be interesting or awful. I take it to mean cheaper sets personally, but then again more can be done these days than when it was first designed, so dunno.

There's actually a few things in Manchester/Liverpool over the next few months that I wouldn't mind seeing: Legally Blonde, Sister Act, Avenue Q, Starlight Express, Chicago, Hair, Oliver, South Pacific. Oh, and SUSAN BOYLE: THE MUSICAL (no thanks)

I can't afford all of them though.

Ben

CF Legend
Legally Blonde <3<3<3

The others (except Sister Act) are all gonna be like, staples, that are always around. But, Legally Blonde <3

Do it.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Yeah, it's already been here this year, but I missed it, so will try and catch it this time.

Sister Act is tempting just because I can't imagine it being one of those that's likely to keep cropping up in the future.

Starlight Express doesn't crop up that often. I've never been that interested in it though, and the touring productions in the past (so probably the same for the one next year) use 3D films for the actual races. Yuck.

I'm thinking about Oliver purely for the fact that it's the West End version that's recently closed and on for a couple of months, not just a quick one week section of a tour. I'm thinking big "spectacle" over a cheaper touring production.

Ben

CF Legend
You are forgetting that Starlight Express blows harder than you on an American military base in Korea though <//3

I'd be tempted by Oliver too. I'm still sad I didn't see it in the West End. Any idea if there's anyone fab in it?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Neil Morrissey and some bint from the reality show to find Nancy, who's not Jodie Prenger.

So no.

Lucy

Hyper Poster
I went to see Matilda the Musical recently and it was fantastic - I highly recommend it, especially as there's a great cast and the songs are by one of my favourite comedians - Tim Minchin :)