What's new

A Tour of Wrexham

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Welcome to Wrexham!

After 7 years of living in one of the world’s biggest cities, I decided to return to my roots in this delightful North Wales city. Sorry, town. Applications for city status have been ignored/denied countless times! I know that many of you have dreams of one day visiting this charming spot, so I’ve gone to the trouble of preparing a guide to help you plan your trip.

Most (non-existent) visitors to Rectum like to start their tour at St Giles Church, the most prominent (only) landmark in the town.

DSC09586.jpg

In fact, the church steeple is officially one of the seven wonders of Wales, along with a bunch of old trees, a well and some other old crap! Elihu Yale, the founder of America’s famous Yale University, is buried here.

DSC09592.jpg

Visitors should note that Elihu wasn’t actually born here. He wasn’t educated here either, a tradition that the inhabitants of Wrexham have embraced fully.

Elihu would be delighted to know that he now has a Wetherspoons pub named after him. It was once known as “that posh new pub,” but all that changed when the locals realised that the cheapest beer in WreckScum could be found here. Now, Wrexham socialites wait anxiously at the door from 10:50am every morning of the year! Why not join them at one of the Parisian-style, road-side tables?

DSC09607.jpg

Cynics could note the irony of an establishment named Yale being frequented by people who haven’t so much as set foot in an educational institution, apart from perhaps to clean it. I’m kidding of course. These people haven’t worked a day in their lives.

While Wrexham’s menfolk while away the hours at Wetherspoons, the ladies of the town often prefer to throw away their dole cheques here

DSC09564.jpg

before grabbing a bite to eat at one of the towns many international eateries.

DSC09602.jpg

DSC09606.jpg

Before joining them, it may be a good idea to make an effort to fit in by visiting here.

DSC09574.jpg

It should be noted that body art in Wrexham should/must include a Welsh dragon. The people of Wrexham are, for some reason, incredibly proud of being Welsh,

DSC09585.jpg

even though none of them can actually speak it. Instead, they communicate with a series of nasal barks and grunts, dropping the “g” off the end of words, in an accent which could be described as Scelsh (scouse/welsh), unique to the area. Only by visiting Wrexham can one truly appreciate this exquisite intonation.

Like to shop? Then you’ve come to the right place!

DSC09609.jpg

DSC09604.jpg

Other boutiques in the area include “The Pound Shop” and “The £1 Shop.”

Take a piece of Wrexham atmosphere home with you, by buying a disused sofa to leave in your front garden!

DSC09598.jpg

After all that shopping, why not take a relaxing stroll along Wrexham’s picturesque waterways?

DSC09577.jpg

It’s not known as the Venice of Wales for nothing. In fact, it’s not known as the Venice of Wales at all!

Take a break at this scenic spot,

DSC09576.jpg

and catch up on the local news.

DSC09601.jpg

In the evening, why not catch up with the latest 5-year-old Hollywood blockbuster at the historic Hippodrome Cinema? Because it’s being pulled down after an arson attack. That’s why!

DSC09596.jpg

Instead, unwind with a drink at The Old Vaults pub, favourite drinking hole of local celebutranny, Big June,

DSC09599.jpg

and made famous in this whimsical TV documentary:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3nvwubla2k[/youtube]

If you make it out with only minor injuries and want to buy a 15 year old a Bacardi Breezer in return for fellatio, then head to Liquid, Wrexham’s premier night spot.

DSC09584.jpg

I’m sure you’re thinking that one day simply isn’t enough to sample all the delights that Wrexham has to offer, so why not stay at the opulent Wynnstay Arms Hotel?

DSC09600.jpg

It’s a mere stone’s throw from all the sites previously mentioned, which is convenient considering that you are likely to have something thrown at you at some point.

On your second day, how about exploring the surrounding area? A plethora of luxury coaches await you at King Street bus station, ready to whisk you off to the dizzying heights of Penycae, Llay or even as far as exotic Llangollen!

DSC09612.jpg

Culture and history buffs may want to take this opportunity to take a stroll around the Caia Park housing estate, one of the country's largest, and home of the 2002 race riots.

aeropic_20040317_wrexhamventure_w12.jpg

Please note the use of stock photographs, as playful locals may want to “borrow” any publicly displayed electronic equipment. Visitors of a middle-eastern descent not welcome!

3wrexham.jpg

So there you have it, the jewel in the crown of North Wales, beating off such stiff competition as Prestatyn and Rhyl, themselves a delight to visit, but lacking the absolute charm of Wrexham.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Hmm...

Remind me to avoid ever going there.

:lol:

peep

CF Legend
Wow, looks like such a jolly and delightful town, I must book a night at the wonderful Wynnstay Arms Hotel so I can then indulge in the extraordinary excellence of this fine place. Thank you Gavin for opening my eyes, I don't know why I've never heard of it before.

:p

thx

Mega Poster
That was truly hysterical Gavin!

Wow, 3 "poundshops" in such a vibrant little town, who would've thought! Also, I find it a bit funny that the Bingo-house is called 'Mecca', but given the subtle hints about the residents, I guess they think that's a sort of coffee or something.

Anyway, I really enjoy reading/seeing PTR's of these non-themepark stuff (well maybe apart from the b&m), from different places.

Nic

Strata Poster
hahahaha! Really enjoyed reading that! My cousin's husband comes from Wrexham. No wonder he fits in so well with our family... hehe

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
LOL!

And I'd associate Yale with door locks before posh American unis.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Lmao, this is brilliant. I should do one of Hoddesdon town, they're of very similar quality =]

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I went to Wrexham once... Even after this, I still have no desire to return.

I'd consider doing one for Widnes where I come from - only I wouldn't get a camera out in public. I'd be beaten to a pulp for stealing their souls - then they
d steal the camera :D

I do wish I had a few months stuck there Gavin :)

Emmett

Giga Poster
The Venice of Wales :lol: .

Brilliant tour of Wrexham Gavin. I'm annoyed now that I never bothered to get off the train when passing through Wrexham a few years ago. I missed out on all the history and culture.

Mit deLuxe

Hyper Poster
Ewwwww, lol! I have NEVER been to Wrecsam and that is why...dirty and skanky! Puke.
Why do all of the tourists from England and all over the world go to Rhyl and Wrecsam is quite confusing. COME TO ANGLESEY...(But don't go to Holyhead)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
That reminds me, must head to Lligwy Bay this year (adds to the list of things to do yet again).

Though it's probably spoilt nowadays...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I used to go every year to Moelfre, but have never actually ever been to Holyhead - it's on my list of places to avoid ;)

Ben

CF Legend
I went to Holyhead once.

And nnneeevvverrr returned.

Beaumaris <3 It's where the familia is from.