What's new

A great day at Thorpe 21/10/2010

Casio

Mega Poster
I know I don't post here much, but I'm trying to do so a lot more and decided I'd give writing a trip report a go :)

I chose yesterday to go to Thorpe with a few mates as most kids are still in school, and it was a non Fright Night day. As a result it was really quite quiet; the biggest queue (unsurprisingly) was Saw and was only 25 minutes or so.

Overall it was one of the most pleasant Thorpe trips I've had; the weather was good, nothing broke down (except Samurai when we were on it and they couldn't bring it down properly) and even the staff were pleasant!

X was first, I hoped the lights would be on but as they weren't it was as crap as usual. Inferno was next, and although it was smoother than I remembered it was actually fairly dull. I had the same problem with colossus but still both are pretty good rides.

Stealth and Detonator were both as powerful as I remembered; easily competition for Baco and Hurakan Condor (although neither quite as good) which I'd done all summer.

After a pretty poor lunch we made our way round to Saw, which I had hatred for because of the chav love for it (ah yeah mate Saw lol is like ve sikest ride dere) and last time I went I didn't think much of it. This time however I thought it was really quite brilliant. The outdoor queue will never really work, but the indoor bit is good; the videos, shotguns and weird suspended man are all pretty decent. I know it's not submersive enough like a disney ride to really feel like you're there, but it's a great effort. The track itself really is fun, the indoor section is good with the drop and the stop on the crossbows and the outdoor track is really forceful; I finally really enjoyed the first drop and airtime hill and overall I'd rate it above Colossus and Inferno.

I also had the 'pleasure' of trying out the Saw Alive maze, and to be honest it was actually quite good. It starts off quite terrifying, but when you get used to it it's not too bad. The actors all do the same thing, which is dissapointing, but some of them really do look like dummies until you get up close. I also think it would better if it were a bit lighter; for some reason a completely dark room is not as bad as a light room where you can see people could be hiding. (also one of the 'dead' actors had to point us to the next door when we got lost :--D ) On the whole it's a worthwhile addition, and strengthens the Saw brand.

On the new raft ride front there's not much to see, they've completely closed octopus gardens and ground clearance is in progress, but nothing has actually arrived. It actually looks like a decent thing for the park; they have a solid 10 thrill rides so I like the fact they're trying to expand in the family section, even if it is an unnecessary 5th water ride.

Overall I had a really enjoyable day, and although it would obviously be more exciting to do Fright Nights, I would suggest to anyone go on a much less busy day, you can get anything done!

(My pictures are small and I can't work out how to make them bigger, sorry)