What's new

5 Rides To Know You

nadroJ

CF Legend
Thing going around on Twitter than I thought would be fun to get some thoughts on. Idea (as I interpreted it anyway) is to list 5 attractions that reveal something about you as a person. Not necessarily your Top 5 by any means, just a list of 5 that you feel are descriptive of you in some way.

Mine:

Tower of Terror, Disney Hollywood Studios
Probably my favourite ride of all time but also speaks to me on a personal level. It’s spooky, and reeks of old Hollywood glamour of years gone by. I adore the aesthetic of Tower and the genre it encapsulates as much as the ride experience itself, I feel it represents the movie buff in me.

Taron, Phantasialand
From a coaster perspective Taron ticks all my boxes - it’s about speed and near misses and mad ejector airtime. Aesthetically it’s very much drenched in that world of dark fantasy that I’ve always been slightly obsessed with - it’s got that Lord of the Rings/Game of Thrones thing going on and the whole land of Klugheim is dripping in narrative despite us never meeting the inhabitants. It’s marvellous storytelling as much as it is an

Mystic Manor, Hong Kong Disneyland
As much as I do equally adore the spooky vibes of all of the Haunted Mansion iterations, Mystic Manor is the one that stands alone for me in that it goes that extra mile and is quirky and bursting with character. It looks stunning and that dark jewel tone colour palette is essentially how I’ve chosen to paint the walls of my house. I love an early 20th century explorer theme and MM has always spoken to me because it’s so familiar yet so different and unique.

Vliegende Hollander, Efteling
Another ride drenched in deep fantasy and lore just from the queue line and theming alone (there’s a pattern here can you tell) - Vliegende Hollander is the ride for me that best exemplifies perfection in attraction narrative storytelling and immersion. Once we step through that torn painting in the queue line (one of my all time favourite theme park moments) we are 100% in the world the attraction wants us to be in, and the initial moments of the ride as we float eerily through a fog drenched harbour, dwarfed by giant wooden ships, it never fails to leave me awestruck.

The Voyage, Holiday World
For me, The Voyage is the perfect depiction of what a classic wooden rollercoaster should be. It looks the part, it rides the part, it’s non stop thrills yet good old fashioned family fun too and feels instantly nostalgic before you’ve even ridden the thing. Something in me has always been intrigued by Americana, that classic Mid-America American Dream thing and The Voyage embodies that for me.

Eyebrows

Hyper Poster
What a great thread idea! Here’s mine (rankings in parentheses) :

1. Intimidator 305 (1) - Despite this not being a top 5 list, the best coaster to describe me has to be my favorite. I love everything about this ride, from the sense of speed to the insane positives to the snappy transitions. This ride shows my taste for absolute maximum intensity and a crazy experience.

2. Beast (6) - This ride is one that a lot of people don’t agree with me on in terms of placement. For me, this ride has so much to give. Not only the incredible ride experience, but the history and legacy of the ride. I love rides with that indescribable quality we refer to as “charm” and the Beast is dripping with it.

3. Looper at Knoebels - The only flat ride on my list is the most wonderfully janky and out of control experience. Appearing unassuming at first, everything changes when you get on the ride. You’ve never seen this kind of seatbelt before, and the ride op has to come around and explain the clutch mechanism (!), and encourages you to start swinging before the ride is in motion (!!). Once the ride starts, **** gets crazy. You use the momentum you gained by swinging and use the clutch to lock yourself into the motion of the giant wheel your car is attached to, flipping you over and over and over. You must ride this with someone who is significantly lighter or heavier than you for this to work, but if you do, you won’t forget your experience any time soon. I love rides like this.

4. Kumba (7) - 90’s B&M’s magnum opus. Kumba represents my fondness for older rides that can keep up with their newer counterparts. Kumba maintains a high level of intensity yet remains graceful in its attempted murder of you. Also, you can touch the grass in the last helix, which I find hilarious. I love clearance issues a lot more than I should.

5. Skyrush (2) - Let me tell you, the restraints are real. Those things are the most painful, worst designed restraints on any ride. But the ride experience makes up for that fact tenfold. You’ve heard all about the airtime but I honestly don’t think the hype is enough. No amount of hype would be enough. Skyrush shows that I’m willing to endure a bit of pain for a world class ride experience.

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
Stuff in italics is the main definition of how the ride defines me.

Cannonball Express, Pleasurewood Hills
I'm sure everyone in this forum and theme park discords are tired of me raving about this ride, but it deserves every single bit of praise that it gets. To everyone this is "just your average Jet Star, why are you literally crying at night over this ride" but to me it's something special. If this ride can just be pushed to the side by the average 200andabove-crediter, then I can not wait for what awaits me in this hobby. Cannonball Express is the true it doesn't have to be big to be FUN coaster. Don't allow yourself to not enjoy a coaster just because you don't think it will rank that highly. You might've come across something special that's sitting at #191 in your ranking that would've gone a lot higher if you just let it do crazy things to you.

Lightning Skid, Carter's Steam Fair
If someone approached me and asked me what my favourite coaster of all time is, I would say "Munchen Looping the one that goes down to London". If someone approached me and asked me what my favourite flat ride of all time is, I would say Lightning Skid. If someone approached me and asked me what the damn best thing I have EVER done in this hobby is, I would say Lightning Skid. Lightning Skid is a ride that you control entirely. "WELCOME TO THE SKID! PUSH THE PEDAL TO GO TO THE LEFT AND RELEASE TO GO TO THE RIGHT! COME ON!" The ride doesn't allow single riders so someone has to come on with me, and even the non-believers will start whispering their prayers as I start going wild with that pedal. I found out how to make the most aggressive skidding possible to the point where it even terrifies me but I cannot and will not stop. It becomes the definition of complete insanity and I can't get myself away from it. Lightning Skid is probably the ride I can convince the most amount of people to do. It provides for the people who don't want an intense ride (don't push the pedal too hard and don't get in with me) and to the ultimate thrill seeker (by finding out The Technique or getting in with me). Trust me, Lightning Skid will change you. And for those who don't want to push it as hard, I'm sure you'll have enough fun to want to push it a little bit harder. Just remember - no single riders.

I thought I had more to add
but I guess these two should do fine for now.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Stuff in italics is the main definition of how the ride defines me.

Cannonball Express, Pleasurewood Hills
I'm sure everyone in this forum and theme park discords are tired of me raving about this ride, but it deserves every single bit of praise that it gets. To everyone this is "just your average Jet Star, why are you literally crying at night over this ride" but to me it's something special. If this ride can just be pushed to the side by the average 200andabove-crediter, then I can not wait for what awaits me in this hobby. Cannonball Express is the true it doesn't have to be big to be FUN coaster. Don't allow yourself to not enjoy a coaster just because you don't think it will rank that highly. You might've come across something special that's sitting at #191 in your ranking that would've gone a lot higher if you just let it do crazy things to you.

Lightning Skid, Carter's Steam Fair
If someone approached me and asked me what my favourite coaster of all time is, I would say "Munchen Looping the one that goes down to London". If someone approached me and asked me what my favourite flat ride of all time is, I would say Lightning Skid. If someone approached me and asked me what the damn best thing I have EVER done in this hobby is, I would say Lightning Skid. Lightning Skid is a ride that you control entirely. "WELCOME TO THE SKID! PUSH THE PEDAL TO GO TO THE LEFT AND RELEASE TO GO TO THE RIGHT! COME ON!" The ride doesn't allow single riders so someone has to come on with me, and even the non-believers will start whispering their prayers as I start going wild with that pedal. I found out how to make the most aggressive skidding possible to the point where it even terrifies me but I cannot and will not stop. It becomes the definition of complete insanity and I can't get myself away from it. Lightning Skid is probably the ride I can convince the most amount of people to do. It provides for the people who don't want an intense ride (don't push the pedal too hard and don't get in with me) and to the ultimate thrill seeker (by finding out The Technique or getting in with me). Trust me, Lightning Skid will change you. And for those who don't want to push it as hard, I'm sure you'll have enough fun to want to push it a little bit harder. Just remember - no single riders.

I thought I had more to add
but I guess these two should do fine for now.
I love the lightning skid!! It's so ridiculous and fun! I rode by myself this year on one of my goes so I guess they allow single riders now?? Have you done the Steam Yachts? Absolute chaos as well!!

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
I love the lightning skid!! It's so ridiculous and fun! I rode by myself this year on one of my goes so I guess they allow single riders now?? Have you done the Steam Yachts? Absolute chaos as well!!
Interesting, I visited in September and wasn't allowed on when I was on my own so had to drag a friend on with me. Good thing is they loved it.

I did do the Steam Yachts this year but we did the seats right in the middle (thinking about it we should've waited one ride for the back) but they were still an absolute blast to ride, and very intense. Shame about Dive Bomber and Octopus disappearing off the face of the earth though, haven't seen Dive Bomber since 2019 and Octopus since 2018. Think they're gone for maintenance but it has been a while...

You poor soul, that's what all the ladies say to make the less endowed men feel better about themselves. :p
🤣 🤣 🤣

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Interesting, I visited in September and wasn't allowed on when I was on my own so had to drag a friend on with me. Good thing is they loved it.

I did do the Steam Yachts this year but we did the seats right in the middle (thinking about it we should've waited one ride for the back) but they were still an absolute blast to ride, and very intense. Shame about Dive Bomber and Octopus disappearing off the face of the earth though, haven't seen Dive Bomber since 2019 and Octopus since 2018. Think they're gone for maintenance but it has been a while...

🤣 🤣 🤣
Ah weird. My solo ride was earlier in the year so maybe the rule changed or it depends on how busy it is etc.

Carters sold the Dive Bomber to Littleboys a couple of months ago but I think Littleboys have plans to run it so that is promising if they do an open day (although I would have preferred it to stay down south and tour). Carters recently posted a video of them cleaning the main Octopus central column (or what looked like it anyway) so I'm really hoping it's the next project! Perhaps it wasn't it but I'd keep an eye out anyway! I can't find it now to link so it was probably an Instagram story or something similar.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
The Walking Dead. Because despite the big scary exterior, inside I’m just a softie…

Any Boomerang. Because I can never decide which direction I’m moving in. Constantly bouncing from one idea to the next.

Nemesis. Because it’s intense, but only lasts 45 seconds, and… well… Ask Cara… 🙈😂😂

Taron. (And Klugheim) Is the childish imagination in me that I don’t set free nearly often enough these days… As somebody who grew up loving discworld, and other similar literary and cinematic universes,

PMBO. Because a lot of the time I’m just a bit crap, but every now and then I even surprise myself.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
Only five? Hmm, this is going to be a challenge. Let's see.

Helix, Liseberg. Pure roller coaster bliss.

Nemesis, Alton Towers. There are better rides out there, but if you're looking for one coaster that encapsulates many of the things that I enjoy in a good coaster, Nemesis is as good a starting point as any.

Boulder Dash, Lake Compounce. I don't know if it runs anywhere near as well as it used to, as it's been more than a decade since I rode it, but when I was looking for a ride to sum up the best rides I've ever had on a traditional wooden coaster, the night rides I had back in 2008 were it.

Jukebox, Liseberg. A silly, bouncy flat ride with unexpected pops of airtime. There are rides that are fun, and there are rides that are amusing, and Jukebox is a good example of a ride that manages to accomplish both at the same time.

Symbolica, Efteling. I had to think long and hard as to which ride to give this last slot to, and in the end, there was only one choice. I like a good dark ride that manages to make you really feel something. Curse of Darkastle managed to create a sense of adventure and tension. Madame Freudenreich Curiosités brings absurdity to the table. Symbolica somehow manages to bring a genuine feeling of wonder as you progress through the fabulous sets, and waltz your way through the ballroom in the finale. It's not a perfect ride, by any means, but the more I thought about this, the more I realised that Symbolica manages to accomplish something I really appreciate in a ride, and does it better than any other ride I've experienced. As far as I'm concerned, it's earned its place on the list.

Coasterfreck

Mega Poster
Platform 15 - Thorpe Park
My favourite scare maze, that I will always miss.

Nemesis Inferno - Thorpe Park
When I first rode the original in 2015, I felt like Nemesis Inferno was always far superior, and still do. In 2016 it was also the first ride I was trained on.

Wicker Man - Alton Towers
Best coaster at Towers in my personal opinion

The Smiler - Alton Towers
Chaotic music, and ride.

Icon - Blackpool Pleasure Beach
Exodus may end up taking this spot in 2024.

SkyrushSimp

Mega Poster
Skyrush at Hersheypark- My Overall Favorite Coaster.

Steel Vengeance at Cedar Point- Has the most of my favorite force, airtime

Daddy Pig's Roller Coaster at Peppa Pig Theme Park- Shows my burning hatred of Peppa Pig

Cannibal at Lagoon: Just flat out crazy, something I would never have thought of

Intimidator 305 at Kings Dominion: Whoever came up with this, thank you for the grayouts

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
*Writes down roller coaster rankings on individual pieces of paper*

*Puts paper into a hat*

*Randomly draws five pieces*

*Pulls out 3 Arrow Mine Trains, a random Wooden Coaster, and a StarFlyer?*

... I'm just here for a good time.

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
Vampire, Chessington - Born in 1990 along with yours truly. Showing signs of rust but still hanging in there (so is the ride lol).

Tidal Wave, Thorpe Park - Was weirdly obsessed with the theming growing up. WWTP Radio is a work of art and influenced my broad taste in music.

Taron, Phantasialand - Reignited my inner goon flame.

Skyrush, Hersheypark - As I'm an ejector airtime simp and this is the pinnacle.

Joris, Efteling - Gonna throw this in here as we spent an hour on the ride without having to leave the station. Just springs to mind as one of the most fun evenings I've ever had at a park and that's what it's all about really.

Indy

Hyper Poster
Formula Rossa - It's a roller coaster themed to Formula 1

Silver Star - It's a roller coaster themed to Formula 1

iSpeed - It's a roller coaster themed to Formula 1

Red Force - It's a roller coaster themed to Formula 1

Tomorrowland Speedway - It's a ride themed to racing and formerly IndyCar

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
Geisterschloss: Opened in 1982 (my birth years), It's vintage-spooky, it's clunky, it's random, it's classic, it's an assault on your eyes, with things going on all over the place, It's ADHD personified!

Winja's force/fear: It's cheeky, it's mischievous, its a little hows-your-father, it's a little oo-err missus, its incorrigible!!

Flucht Von Novgorod: It's a bit of everything.....dark ride, drop-launch, chilled scenic section, drop in dark etc........ and a slide at the end!

Journey to the Centre of the Earth: Probably the best ride in the World! it's Cinematic, its steampunk... simply outstanding!

Shambala: It's a floaty airtime machine, it's freeing and the closest closer to any feeling of flying I've ever been on.