What's new

4D vs. 5D

bizarrofan10

Hyper Poster
As of now X2 (at MM) is the world's only 5th dimension roller coaster, but there are about 10 4D coasters. What is the difference between a 4D and a 5D? What transformed X from a 4D to a 5D? What are the qualifications for a coaster to be called 5D?

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
This is the first time I've heard of the 5th dimension term. My guess is that it's just a gimmick since they added fire to X2.

I could imagine that 5th dimension would be if they made the seats spin both vertically AND horizontally. It would be an incredible engineering feat, but not very practical at this time.

Snoo

The Legend
Nothing but a gimmick. The only difference is the sound effects they added.. which is a new 'dimension' according to SFMM.. which is a croc of ****.

divvie_dave

Mega Poster
Using Six Flags logic, any coaster that had anything added to it to enhance its experience would therefore be a 4D coaster, which means they told porkies claiming first 4D coaster with the original X :p

bizarrofan10

Hyper Poster
5d

so basically they added some new effects and are calling it 5D.......

although what Antinos said sounds practical

Inverse

Hyper Poster
^Bingo. The 4Ds that we can perceive are Length, Height, Depth and Time. Every coaster in the entire world has all four of these.

bizarrofan10

Hyper Poster
4d

^ then why are there only like 10 in the world? Wouldn't every park be eager to claim they have a "4D" coaster to attract people?

Ben

CF Legend
^I can just see it now... "We have this brand new coaster... The gimmick... It EXISTS in time"...

Yeah, don't take up marketing...

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
The 4D classification is a gimmick that makes no logistical sense, the same as Giga and Strata coasters.

As Inverse pointed out, we can perceive 4 dimensions through real science in the world. So the fact that everything exists in time creates a 4th dimension, as we not only move physically, but through time as well.

HOWEVER, in coaster sense, the forth dimension is the ability for seats to rotate. A 5th dimension would mean the seats could rotate on both an x and y axis.

It is intriguing though, as thinking further, suspended roller coasters are 4th dimension coasters. Rather than rotating on a y axis like X2, they similar move on an x axis, swaying back and forth. This allows for 4 degrees of movement.

Inverse

Hyper Poster
^Scientifically speaking that's just moving through the regular 3 dimensions in a different way.

If their 3D cinemas can all claim to have a 4th D because they blow wind, bubbles and stuff at you, then why can't X2 claim to have a 5th dimension if it gives you music and fire. Fire's worth a dimension, no?

Edit: Typo

jjjjustin

Hyper Poster
reminded me of this,
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO2aCVlnLow[/youtube]

And I agree with snoo, its just a gimmick.

bizarrofan10

Hyper Poster
y

Yeah so in coaster terminology 4D means the seats rotate on the x-axis and 5D means the seats rotate on the x and y axis. So the X to X2 "upgrade" meant the seats now rotate on the y axis also along with the x axis.

Gimmicks.......

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^No. Whilst yes, following the pattern, rotating seats in the x-direction is 4D (like X), 5D should be rotating seats in another direction too, this isn't the case.

5D is what they're calling X2. Fundamentally the coaster is the same, they just added new trains, repainted it and added some off-ride effects. It's the off-ride effects that SFMM are calling the fifth dimension.

Nic

Strata Poster
Ben said:
^I can just see it now... "We have this brand new coaster... The gimmick... It EXISTS in time"...

Yeah, don't take up marketing...

Hahaha, for some reason you just reminded me of this:

Stone Cold: "I can't imagine rollercoasters existing without Physics. I can't imagine Jake existing without credits"

Oh, and to add some sense to this post, although not strictly on topic...

Drievliet have an attraction that they describe as being a "5D Cinema". Now, it's fab, but I can't see that it does anything that a normal 4D cinema doesn't? All I can guess is that they're counting the movement of the seats and the effects (water, bubbles etc) as 2 separate "dimensions". Any clues?

bizarrofan10

Hyper Poster
yes

Yes Nic, Hixee said that MM calls rotating seats the 4th dimension and off-ride effects the 5th dimension.

So from this topic, I can come to the conclusion that:

1.) 4D means rotaing seats

2.) X2 should still be 4D - not 5D

3.) Six Flags is cheap

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Re: yes

bizarrofan10 said:
Six Flags is cheap
Exactly. A Six Flags season pass costs less than half of what others charge.