What's new

2019 - The year that I visit too many parks

Skeletor

Roller Poster
Alright! So I am starting with that better late than never attitude here. I've already visited several parks this summer between a few trips. I'll come back to fill in those reports over a few days as it's basically my first reactions to a ton of major parks.

As for the first one, I'm covering Wild Waves just South of Seattle, WA.

So for those that don't know me, I travel for work around the country every week. I keep my eyes out for jobs that will put me near some coasters and this summer a co-worker and I had been responsible for a series of stores for a clinic that's spread across Seattle. The last few times we were here I noticed Wild Waves, but we weren't able to make it happen because the park is primarily a waterpark and doesn't stay open very late. Luckily, we are back this week and the hours this time of summer keep the park open until 8. Tickets are half price after 4 and so I grabbed my coworker and we headed out on Tuesday evening for an hour and a half of fun.

First up, Wild Thing.
cc159487525d357f925971497eb2c95d.jpg

It's an Arrow Loop and Corkscrew from the 80s that was moved from Rhode Island in the late 90s. Obviously there's nothing too special about the model, but I will say it is VERY well taken care of by the park. The paint looks pretty new and its bright colors really make it a nice view from the freeway. The ride itself was extremely smooth for having sat in the very back and they send it around for a second lap every time so that was fun!

Now, to note, this park is situated on the side of a hill and so it has a ton of elevation change. The coasters are also all situated in the back behind the waterpark so that made the long walk back to find Klondike Gold Rusher (a Zamperla Wild Mouse with mine carts) closed, especially disappointing. Granted I didn't have to ride a wild mouse, but I was a little curious about those carts.
92faef518fdb1f9b507c63564ddb22cc.jpg

Lastly, was the even longer uphill walk to Timberhawk: Ride of Prey which sits beautifully in the trees high atop the park with a view of the surrounding mountainous area.
012125a39f0f71ae284af84bd94704e9.jpg

This ride is so perfect for the park. There's light theming, a nice station, and it's in great shape. The ride itself is one of only four Wooden coasters built by S&S. It was also the first, and the only one not designed by Alan Shilke.

We rode it in the back, front, and then the middle. Each spot provides different airtime moments but the most enjoyable experience for me was certainly the front; there's two good floater spots then come the end of the ride you pick up speed and that brisk PNW air feels great. It's a small ride with no significant drops, but it's a fun coaster that all ages can enjoy and if after 15 years it was still that smooth it's going to remain a good ride for many years.

The ONLY thing that makes me sad is knowing that because it has waterpark hours, Timberhawk will never be available for a night ride through all those trees. I can only imagine how dark it gets up there since there's no lighting whatsoever. I can dream, though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It's cool to hear a report form a lesser visited park - even if it's just a small one.

Just watched the POV for Thunderhawk and whilst it looks slow, I can imagine it works well as a starter woodie.

Skeletor

Roller Poster
@Hixee It's slow in the sense that 50 mph is slower than most rides we've been on. But realistically that's still pretty fun and a little exhilarating up in the trees.

@Antinos @Snoo yes I have a lot of backtracking to do with this thread. Unfortunately that trip was the most recent so I've got tons to write about before getting to that glorious weekend. Gotta save the best for last!

Skeletor

Roller Poster
Alright I'm in a line on my second day at Knott's, so what better time to start backlogging trips from the year?

So I've been on some amazing and big trips this year but let me begin with the first trip I made this year, on a weekend in March...to Fiesta Texas.

Preface: Now, I've been countless times to SFFT over the years, but the last time I had gone was 2013, the day after the New Texas Giant incident. So of course Iron Rattler was shut down. Years passed, I went to college, and I didn't ride any coasters again until last summer.

This time I got to go with a good friend from college who lives in SA as I was staying the weekend to help him build a new gaming PC and the highlights were obviously two coasters. Rattler and Wonder Woman. We show up around 11 on a GORGEOUS Spring day without a cloud in the sky and walk directly to Rattler...closed...end of the trip. Rage quit. Go home.

Ok not really, but the ride was actually closed with a "closed for weather" sign in front and nobody to ask about a delayed opening. Have a Six Flags day.

So we made our way over to Wonder Woman instead and...WOW. I got my first go in the very back and if you have yet to ride a raptor, you need to. It was an immediate debatable #1 (at the time) for me. Just an insane ride with crazy ejector all over and it seriously doesn't lose speed. It picks up, hits the max and stays there the whole damn ride. Incredible. Unfortunately o have no photos from that day outside the free onride from rattler but here's a pic of the lady from when I traveled back this summer after the same friend's wedding.

7fc98a29778bb4225c01f9a72f1adccf.jpg

Well we made our way back around the park biding time until we almost gave up and left waiting on it and we go back one last time to check Rattler when.....testing. bingo. Hopped in line and waited it out for the front row. Great ride with an awesome couple of drops built around that canyon. Smooth as all RMC of course. It remains to this day the weakest RMC I've been on. Regardless I had a blast and was thankful to finally check it off.

The only other ride I was missing was the Batman freespin and it was down because of course it was. But I would be back to claim it later in the summer. It was a ride. We also tried out the pirate re-themed dark ride that used to be Scooby Doo themed. It used to be a must every time we visited, but Bland Beard and his gang of generic pirates really killed the fun.

And that's that. Now to find the time to report on the two week trip I took to several major parks I'd never visited before. And then yes, @Snoo, the Kentucky cuddles.

Skeletor

Roller Poster
In Lines at SFMM now so it's time to return to the backlogged adventures of the summer.

This time I finally get to the big two week trip I took at the end of June to several parks which I had never visited before. From here on out these were my first impressions. So the first stop waaassss..drumroll please..

BGW!

I started the day with an early morning flight out to Richmond and made it to the park around 1:00 on a Tuesday. The park was hardly busy and it was quite nice to spend a summer afternoon in only 80 degree weather than the 100 degrees back home.

First ride was that which I expected to be my favorite in the park, Apollo's Chariot. Unfortunately this is the best photo I have of it.

72bbb42ead5827c2e03d6a0439c8ce08.jpg

Rode it in the front row first. It's a very good B&M Hyper that carries a ton of speed through the trees which is a nice unique feeling but with a few notable ejector moments it didn't quite take the top from Nitro for me. Later rode in the back row and the middle where airtime felt stronger but I enjoyed the front row wind-in-your-face feeling more.

Next I took out Tempesto since it's right next door and with this being my first Skyrocket II I was pleasantly surprised. I personally enjoy the feeling of hangtime (when it is smooth) so this was good enough for me to grab an extra couple rides on it later in the day.

Next I walked over to the German area and found Verbolten. NOW. Growing up I loved Arrow Suspended coasters and would have killed to ride Big Bad Wolf. I was disheartened to say the least when it was removed. But glad to see that the ravine drop was kept by it's successor. Outside of that, I knew ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about this ride. I walked up to find this lovely theming and that classic drop.

1cd5ea79c33dbb44c44b4101a96091c3.jpg

c5c52d7ebb1b0734de9b6ffe53dc361d.jpg

If you yourself would like this ride unspoiled as I did so you too can enjoy the pure shock and awe when you make it off, skip forward to the asterisks now.

I got on board expecting nothing and quickly found myself whisked into darkness on an uphill launch. Dropping into that darkened building and through the forest really fun. I had a big smile on my face and got lost in all that was happening. Then...there's that brake section...where I find myself looking around at all that's happening and thinking, "oh, we're about to have that wall open up and launch back outside Test Track style." NOPE. Drop track! I probably screamed louder than anyone else on that train...then launched back outside! Got that beautiful ravine drop and a whole lot of speed into some sharp turns and it was over.

This ride was an immediate favorite. And as anyone in the top 10 thread knows, it's in my top 10 still. I got about 6 or 7 rides on it throughout the day. A couple of which went back to back to back in the evening. I love that ride.

Now as I made my way to the other side of the park I found that space headed to Loch Ness Monster where you walk down hundreds of steps not at all thinking about how that meant I would walk up a serious incline on the other side. Though hey, it's very pretty down there and I got several nice shots of the area.

2ea2e993698687043a74f7588cb39bc2.jpg

But then I actually got to the ride, and while this was another I had always looked forward to as a kid...I knew better than to be that excited now. I went, as I always do, for full Arrow experience and rode in the back seat. Ouch. Very cool and unique ride though, and not as bad as some other arrow looping coasters I've visited.

It was time to cool off, eat, and relax for a bit. So I did at the "Marco Polo" food court which was quite nice. I had never been to a park with actually good food before.vto have nice music with it made it extra nice. Then for some reason I decided I would try out Battle for Eire so I could get some air conditioning, which led to a highly embarrassing picture of me that "accidentally" got deleted. Now nobody has it except maybe Patrick in a shoebox hidden by a pull string.
The ride itself was basically the old 4D/5D theater style ride but much smaller and not nearly as fun since the story was just kind of out of left field.

Next I got Griffon, my first dive machine.

5b19a61293e8a5b35e4c9d57dcefc74e.jpg

Yeah, it's alright. Not the greatest thing ever but it's fun and that drop does provide some great floating action.

I made my way around and got Alpengeist which was fantastic. Definitely the best B&M invert I've been on to date. It's huge and it carries a ton of speed in some low elements. And this photo was the one that finally got me to change my phone wallpaper for the first time in about 3 years.

6dd20ac258eb850410574b6ee4ba0249.jpg

I ended up with 2 more rides on it at closing time right as it was getting dark, this time in the front and it was even better then, as it gets a little cooler outside too.

The one last ride was invadR. Which seems a little out of place in the park for some reason, but is a pretty decent ride nonetheless. Somehow it has the longest line in the park too? Didn't quite understand that but hey, it was still only about 30 minutes.

Altogether this park was the perfect start to the trip. It's my favorite park now and I will be going back every chance I get. Especially since they're gonna have Pantheon and whatever that project 2021 is...I'm ECSTATIC to return as soon as possible.

Skeletor

Roller Poster
Alright, I've finished moving to my new place, so it's time to get back to this...months after the fact. *Signature eyeroll*

King's Dominion

Day two of the trip I went a short way up the road to my first ever Cedar Fair park! I know...a long time coming. But look I live in the south and didn't have the ability to travel growing up.

First thing first, beeline to Intimidator 305. Note: given I had ridden Kingda Ka the year before, and that being a strat, this was my first giga coaster. Got a seat in the front and probably only 5 other people on there with me, I LOVED this ride. I barely noticed the trim and I could care less. The whipping action from side to side into all those turns is absolutely bonkers. You could truly feel the intensity of the speed, and at the bottom of that first hill I actually noticed myself starting to gray out which I haven't experienced since the first time I ever rode Titan at SFOT. Those who know me also know I'm a long time NASCAR fan and love the Earnhardt family. It was a nice little addition to be able to geek out with it.

cb011a55681ef7cfc80ea970d878d740.jpg

Since I was right next to Flight of Fear I walked straight in. Honestly this line kinda creeped me out. There was nobody there, it's near pitch black, and...aliens. But what really got me was the attendant standing to the side in the dark who said "good morning". Couldn't see her. I just jumped right out of my boots. The ride itself, eh. I guess it isn't bad..

Well at this point it became apparent that the smart thing to do would be to get on the RMC in the park while the crowd was still non-existent. Lo, behold! Cedar Fair actually is capable of loading an RMC in a timely fashion and keeping trains moving even with a more specific loading process and a metal detector. Man, I wish my home park wasn't a Six Flags.
Twisted Timbers though...ooohhhh Shilke, yes. This was a new level of RMC, for me. What a load of crazy airtime and incredible elements. That first drop in the roll. I love it all. I was giddy. And the music in that station added some pep to my step. I needed MORE of this, and sure enough I'd be back for several rides on it later in the day.

Now this was the part of the day where things got weird, crowds starting flooding in and I had to bounce around the park hitting rides in an order that makes no sense. There's a lot here so I'm gonna gloss over it just a bit.

Avalanche - I knew I liked bobsleds but this one really caught some speed! I could ride it all day.
Anaconda - Probably the least awful custom Arrow I've ever ridden. The corkscrews are actually perfect!
Dominator - It's the same as basically every floorless coaster but, Oh! Surprise airtime!
Woodstock Express - Is it really possible to be scared on a kid's ride? Yes, yes it is. Thanks PTC.
Racer 75 - I actually made this my 75th cred because yeah, I'm THAT goon.
b34014400ccd628a19ea1db3e681307f.jpg

Apple Zapple - I don't like wild mouse coasters, especially since the wait is always long enough and fill of kids small enough to make you hate yourself for being an enthusiast. However, this is still to the date, the best mouse I've been on.

Ok, let me actually break down Grizzly. WHAT...WAS THAT. Seriously, no clue what to prepare myself for and no idea what had happened after the fact. I only got the one ride on it too since I had to get on the road by 8 and I feel like I really need another go just to understand what that ride was. It felt so strange out by itself in that area of the park, I almost forgot about it.

Last was Back Lot Stunt Coaster, and well, it was pretty alright.

The only other big point of the day was when I got in line for the log flume and almost got on only to be stopped because the rudder that points the ride to alternate sides of the station, got stuck, and multiple boats collided behind the station. Fun fun!

I wish I had more time to kick back here and really re-ride so many of these decent rides again and again. Unfortunately I had planned the longest drive of my trip that night and I had to make it past DC and Baltimore all the way up to Dorney for the next morning. So I hit the road at 8, stopped for dinner, and made it to the hotel by about 1:30 in the morning.

This whole report feels really condensed and quick to the point but that's how that day felt. In fact it was such a packed day of running around. I forgot to get many pictures. Like I said, id really like another go at this park and I'm sure I will when they pull out whatever will replace Volcano.
23931cae4a8c29225c9aa087784a1b82.jpg

I certainly enjoyed the park a lot more than I expected to and given it's so close to BGW I'll be finding a way to get out there sooner rather than later.
0a97d8c7c54d68bec2556c87be0c12bf.jpg