What's new

Blackpool Pleasure Beach - 'Head Above The Clouds' potential giant wheel

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
A trademark has been registered by Pleasure Beach for what appears to be a giant wheel.

Very unusual considering that one of the piers is currently developing a big wheel also.

View attachment 19596
Perhaps Pleasure Beach could be owning the new one on Central pier? Otherwise, this makes no sense to me - where would they put on of a reasonable size? The only place I could think of where they could fit one is on the astroturf, but you'd end up with a crappy view half the ride with the back of Alice in Wonderland next to it. Unless they plan on taking out the Bowl a Drome building at the end of the season and putting one on that strip, idk.

BenJacobs

Roller Poster
Perhaps Pleasure Beach could be owning the new one on Central pier? Otherwise, this makes no sense to me - where would they put on of a reasonable size? The only place I could think of where they could fit one is on the astroturf, but you'd end up with a crappy view half the ride with the back of Alice in Wonderland next to it. Unless they plan on taking out the Bowl a Drome building at the end of the season and putting one on that strip, idk.
Would it be possible to put it outside the park on the promenade, and then charge for a ride separately?

Aasimuk

Roller Poster
Would it be possible to put it outside the park on the promenade, and then charge for a ride separately?
I have a feeling this will be the case - back in February Amanda registered a new company, Head Above The Clouds Limited. Not being from Blackpool, could it be possible that this would be built on the old ghost Train site, and not in the park at all?

Lofty

CF Legend
I have a feeling this will be the case - back in February Amanda registered a new company, Head Above The Clouds Limited. Not being from Blackpool, could it be possible that this would be built on the old ghost Train site, and not in the park at all?
Quite possibly, but, the old Carnesky's Ghost Train site is owned by Blackpool Council and not Pleasure Beach. They have some water stores under there (that's the huge grids you can see), but they do not own the land.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Quite possibly, but, the old Carnesky's Ghost Train site is owned by Blackpool Council and not Pleasure Beach. They have some water stores under there (that's the huge grids you can see), but they do not own the land.
That site is about to be used for a new outdoor seating restaurant/bar afaik so I don't think it'll be there.

BenJacobs

Roller Poster
So how tall do we reckon this wheel is gonna be and where do we think they are gone put it?

Head above the clouds suggests it’s going to be very tall, I reckon they’d want it to become a new major landmark of Blackpool - to do that you’d probably need to be larger than The Big One, but nowhere near the height of the Tower (as large wheels cost a lot). My guess is about ~300ft, put somewhere on the promenade.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Here's a rather outlandish but plausible theory: What about using Valhalla's roof?

Could explain the delays to the Valhalla refurb, they're strengthening the building in order to hold the wheel and building a staircase up. Rides on roofs of other rides aren't unheard on this country...

With how space constrained the pleasure beach is, unless they demolish National and/or Bowladrome, this is the only spot it could fit on park.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Here's a rather outlandish but plausible theory: What about using Valhalla's roof?

Could explain the delays to the Valhalla refurb, they're strengthening the building in order to hold the wheel and building a staircase up. Rides on roofs of other rides aren't unheard on this country...

With how space constrained the pleasure beach is, unless they demolish National and/or Bowladrome, this is the only spot it could fit on park.
The Bowl a Drome building appears to be getting progressively more gutted as the season goes on, with there currently being hardly any arcade machines in there - I think it's getting ready to be demolished at the end of the season, and there's more than enough room to build a decently-sized Ferris wheel in that location.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
The Bowl a Drome building appears to be getting progressively more gutted as the season goes on, with there currently being hardly any arcade machines in there - I think it's getting ready to be demolished at the end of the season, and there's more than enough room to build a decently-sized Ferris wheel in that location.
Depending on the size of the wheel, a lot of the sea view will be blocked by the Big One supports in that area. Good inland views though. Agreed on Bowladrome being demolished imminently, a good chunk of land will be freed up when it goes, whether it's for a wheel or not.

Valhalla roof allows full 360 degree views!

rob666

Hyper Poster

Come on now...
Knock down the rotten, rat infested Arena...
Globe site, in the figure eight loops of the Nash, West car park...behind Bowladrome, and the top "Millenium bug" Buckydome site.
Er...then the Big Blue car park, and Boulevard car parks.
To name but seven!

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Bussink R80XL Ferris Wheel Gondolas have started turning up at Pleasure Beach!

For anyone who doesn't know, this Ferris wheel model stands at 78m (256ft) tall and can be offered either as transportable model or permanent model, with the transportable model being the tallest of its kind in the world! Bussink subcontract their manufacturing to both Maurer and Chance, so this wheel is likely coming from Maurer's facility.

1663362335766.png
1663362326798.png

Last edited: