What's new

JMW

Roller Poster
Merlin's 10 Coaster Deal with B&M?

Hi guys. As lots of us already know, Merlin have seemingly struck a huge ride deal with B&M, so I felt this warranted it's own topic where everything was in one place. As the table shows below, there's eight confirmed additions across the Merlin parks and two speculative additions, although both likely in my opinion.

RideRide ModelParkOpening DateSerial Number (TBC)
Maximus - Der Flug des WächtersWing CoasterLEGOLAND Deutschland (Germany)25/03/2023WI-S
Mandrill MayhemWing CoasterChessington World of Adventures (UK)15/05/2023WI-R
Nemesis RetrackInverted CoasterAlton Towers (UK)2024IC-DR
Family InvertFamily Inverted CoasterLEGOLAND Shenzhen (China)2024
Mythica Wing Wing CoasterLEGOLAND Shenzhen (China)2024
Family Invert Family Inverted CoasterLEGOLAND Shanghai (China)2024
Mythica Wing Wing CoasterLEGOLAND Sichuan (China)2025
Family Invert Family Inverted CoasterLEGOLAND Sichuan (China)2025
Family Invert Family Inverted CoasterLEGOLAND Beijing (China)202X
Potential wing coaster?? Wing CoasterLEGOLAND Beijing (China)202X

Does anyone else get the sense this partnership is somewhat of a lifeline for B&M? What does this mean for the future of both companies? It undeniably represents a distinct shift for B&M, into the family thrill market. Mods feel free to lock if you don't deem this relevant enough! 🙃

31/08/22 Edited to remove reference of a B&M at Legoland Windsor, as new plans indicate they'll receive a Vekoma/Zierer twin boomerang instead
17/09/22 Edited to reflect projects' updated opening dates
15/01/23 Edited to include Nemesis retrack serial number
12/03/23 Edited with new ride names, opening dates and ride model column
31/03/23 Edited to remove reference of the cancelled Legoland Belgium + added potential Wing Coaster at Legoland Beijing

Last edited:

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
Merlin's 10 Coaster Deal with B&M?

Hi guys. As lots of us already know, Merlin have seemingly struck a huge ride deal with B&M, so I felt this warranted it's own topic where everything was in one place. As the table shows below, there's eight confirmed additions across the Merlin parks and two speculative additions, although both likely in my opinion.

RideParkYearSerial Number (TBC)
Jumanji Wing CoasterChessington World of Adventures (UK)Early 2023WI-R
Mythica (?) Wing CoasterLEGOLAND Deutschland (Germany)Early 2023WI-S (?)
Family Invert CoasterLEGOLAND Sichuan (China)Oct 2023
Mythica Wing CoasterLEGOLAND Sichuan (China)Oct 2023
Nemesis RetrackAlton Towers (UK)Early 2024
Family Invert CoasterLEGOLAND Shenzhen (China)2024
Mythica (?) Wing CoasterLEGOLAND Shenzhen (China)2024
Family Invert CoasterLEGOLAND Shanghai (China)2024
'New Rollercoaster Plan' - Invert?LEGOLAND Windsor (UK)202X
Presumably at least 1 B&M Coaster?LEGOLAND Beijing (China)202X

Does anyone else get the sense this partnership is somewhat of a lifeline for B&M? What does this mean for the future of both companies? It undeniably represents a distinct shift for B&M, into the family thrill market. Mods feel free to lock if you don't deem this relevant enough! 🙃
LEGOLAND
we buy them in bulk every time

Indy

Hyper Poster
Does anyone else get the sense this partnership is somewhat of a lifeline for B&M? What does this mean for the future of both companies? It undeniably represents a distinct shift for B&M, into the family thrill market.
While there is no denying that B&M is getting more involved with the family thrill market, I definitely don't see it as a lifeline. B&M has never really had much issue with demand. It feels more like an easy business decision; lock down a substantial contract that guarantees business for a few years (valuable in the wake of the calamity caused by the pandemic) for a bunch of rides that will mostly be clones. Large pay for minimal cost.

EDIT: For what it is worth, a 10 coaster deal seems pretty hard to believe, but Merlin is a substantial company so who knows.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
While there is no denying that B&M is getting more involved with the family thrill market, I definitely don't see it as a lifeline. B&M has never really had much issue with demand. It feels more like an easy business decision; lock down a substantial contract that guarantees business for a few years (valuable in the wake of the calamity caused by the pandemic) for a bunch of rides that will mostly be clones. Large pay for minimal cost.

EDIT: For what it is worth, a 10 coaster deal seems pretty hard to believe, but Merlin is a substantial company so who knows.
Vekoma struck a 45 coaster deal not that long ago. Admitedly they only delivered 21 before the pandemic banjaxed the rest but big deals do happen.

The issue i think recently for B&M has been the huge slowdown in the Chinese market. Parks are still going in but at a much slower rate and alot of firms there seem to have opted for smaller models recently (With the exception of OCT but they only pump out a park a year and only half of those get B&Ms.

Leaning into the junior market isnt a bad idea for them at the moment with i imagine quite a few parks tightening their purse strings.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
The issue i think recently for B&M has been the huge slowdown in the Chinese market. Parks are still going in but at a much slower rate and alot of firms there seem to have opted for smaller models recently (With the exception of OCT but they only pump out a park a year and only half of those get B&Ms.

Leaning into the junior market isnt a bad idea for them at the moment with i imagine quite a few parks tightening their purse strings.
That's one thing I noticed about B&M a while back: in recent years, they've been very reliant on the Chinese market. Their coasters tend to all be of the "biggest box" variety, and those aren't as popular among Western parks as they were a couple decades ago, and there's a lot of competition in that segment of the market. This chart is from last year, but it gives the idea. From installing 4-6 coasters in the Western markets every year, they're down to 1-2 in recent years, with China making up the rest of the margins.

1659686094229.png

I think it's wise of them to go into the small-to-mid size coaster market, as that's the vast majority of coaster projects out there. Everyone loves huge thrill machines, but parks rarely afford them, making it a bit risky to let one's entire operation rely on them. Going into the lucrative market of smaller coasters may indeed be a lifeline for B&M, even if it doesn't rely on the Merlin contract in particular.

ViperGTS500

Roller Poster
Seems like only big US park chains can understandably afford them (CF and SEAS). Disregarding Hershey and Dr Diabolical.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
That's one thing I noticed about B&M a while back: in recent years, they've been very reliant on the Chinese market. Their coasters tend to all be of the "biggest box" variety, and those aren't as popular among Western parks as they were a couple decades ago, and there's a lot of competition in that segment of the market. This chart is from last year, but it gives the idea. From installing 4-6 coasters in the Western markets every year, they're down to 1-2 in recent years, with China making up the rest of the margins.

View attachment 19456

I think it's wise of them to go into the small-to-mid size coaster market, as that's the vast majority of coaster projects out there. Everyone loves huge thrill machines, but parks rarely afford them, making it a bit risky to let one's entire operation rely on them. Going into the lucrative market of smaller coasters may indeed be a lifeline for B&M, even if it doesn't rely on the Merlin contract in particular.
Much agree with you both @roomraider and @Pokemaniac with a small caveat: B&M would as such step outside their market niche (reliable capacity monsters) into a considerably more competitive market segment.

I am very curious what selling point will B&M emphasize against the competing and well established Vekoma family coasters - and Intamin and Gerstlauer's to a lesser extent.

Can B&M price their family offering to match Vekoma & other competitors'? Or will the Swiss engineers remain fairly upscale and somehow highlight superior ride hardware...

I might actually privately inquire this when talking to park operators at IAAPA Expo Europe later this year.

Tulum

Mega Poster
I would see a Hyper slotting into the lineup nicely

It would. But to be honest any decent addition to the park would be welcome. That park has to get out of the downward spiral. The rumors of a Hyper in the inner area of Colossus have been around for years.

Lukas D

Roller Poster
I reckon there might be even more to come. Merlin seem eager to roll out Mythica globally. All the resorts that have received their flying theatres as LEGO Movie Worlds might be in for a Wing Coaster as the headline attraction for their respective Mythica area sooner or later.

Concerning Heide Park, they are overdue for a major addition to their offering. I'm quite sure they want to bring in the Jumanji IP. Could a Jumanji theme work on a B&M hyper?

Christian

Hyper Poster
Seems like only big US park chains can understandably afford them (CF and SEAS). Disregarding Hershey and Dr Diabolical.

SDC, Dollywood and Holiday World have built B&M, so did Kentucky Kingdom back in the 90s. Most bigger parks have built them not just the big chains. In Europe and Asia, B&M buyers are even more diverse. B&M is more a big park thing not just a chain thing.

JMW

Roller Poster
@James W

It seems Shanghai will get a Wing Coaster, as well. See here. Also, the Chinese Wing Coasters all seem to be part of their respective City-themed areas rather than the Mythica ones.
I think Shanghai's Wing Coaster may have been cut unfortunately? This latest illustration of the park doesn't show it, and this link suggests they'll only be receiving the one coaster from B&M.

lego_shanghai[0].jpg

With regards to the Wing Coaster's themes not being Mythica, I was going off this illustration of Sichuan. Are you suggesting they'll be Lego City themed instead?
463.png

Christian

Hyper Poster
I think Shanghai's Wing Coaster may have been cut unfortunately? This latest illustration of the park doesn't show it, and this link suggests they'll only be receiving the one coaster from B&M.

View attachment 23920

With regards to the Wing Coaster's themes not being Mythica, I was going off this illustration of Sichuan. Are you suggesting they'll be Lego City themed instead?
View attachment 23921

There's tons of empty land there. They might anyways add it in the future

Reactions: JMW

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Shanghai was never due to get one though? Certainly was never on the original work plans. Was Beijing and Sichuan that has a wing coaster on their plans.

Original plans are visible on the Legoland Shanghai thread

But here's the main one
IMG_20211010_111112-01.jpeg

Lukas D

Roller Poster
Shenzhen:
Take a look at the master plan for Shenzhen. LEGO Mythica will be at the northwestern part of the park while the wing coaster is to be located way further south. There will be two whole areas (Haunted House Monster Party + LEGO Friends) between the coaster and Mythica. The queue entrance for the B&M seems to be right across the LEGO City train station.

Sichuan:
8a71723f499240cb914d8190ecc1c02f.png

Here is the same concept art but without the area names overlay. The wing coaster seems to be attached to the LEGO City area, towards the driving school.

Shanghai:
As I've posted above, earlier concept art clearly shows that another one was to be placed in this park at least at some point in time. I'm wondering if it's been scrapped altogether or whether it's been relocated to another resort. Billund seems to have sufficient empty land to be able to place one that was originally designed for greenfield development.