What's new

Popular food & drink trends you don’t get?

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
*cautiously raises hand*
I...I...don't like mushy peas. I much prefer just normal garden peas.
Fair enough :) If you don’t line them then you don’t like them…

I just find peas in general really really boring. As per Serena’s original point, they seem to be bunged with everything nowadays (we’re even guilty of this.) Give me almost any other veg (and yes I know peas are technically a legume,) including Cauliflower, Broccoli and Sprouts.

Sandman

Giga Poster
Fair enough :) If you don’t line them then you don’t like them…

I just find peas in general really really boring. As per Serena’s original point, they seem to be bunged with everything nowadays (we’re even guilty of this.) Give me almost any other veg (and yes I know peas are technically a legume,) including Cauliflower, Broccoli and Sprouts.

Peas are inherently boring, flavour wise. However, the minted mushy pea is the saviour of the pea world. Especially with fish and chips.

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
In Adelaide you can get a Pie Floater which is having the pie floating in pea soup:
View attachment 16250
View attachment 16251
giphy.gif

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
In Adelaide you can get a Pie Floater which is having the pie floating in pea soup:
View attachment 16250
View attachment 16251
Of course there's a VB Behind it!!!

BTW that 'pea soup' looks a lot like what we call mushy peas, and more specifically, chip shop mushy peas!!!

I have to say, not totally against this. As much as I find peas boring, chip shop mushy peas are the best type. And I do hate dry pastry more than I could ever hate peas... Seems a good way to soften the pastry.

Only one problem, and it's a big one... WHAT THE ACTUAL F*** IS THAT ON TOP? You don't put ketchup on a pie ffs, it HAS to be gravy!

EDIT: As a side note, the wiki page is quite interesting... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mushy_peas I had no idea the mushy peas tradition in general hailed from around these parts... I always thought they were an 'all of Britain' tradition. You mean you southerners don't order a 'pea mix' at the chippy?

Last edited:

Christian

Hyper Poster
Let's add Bubble Tea. This is currently a huge trend and people love drinking it and especially love posting that they are drinking it. Personally, I just find it disgusting. It's a bland cold milk tea with tapioca balls at the bottom. Sometimes it's sold with flavours but the flavours just taste fake. Tapioca as usual is pretty tasteless and in this case it just sits like slime balls on the bottom of the tea. I just don't find what to like in this drink. It's tasteless tea with tasteless slime balls.

Matt N

CF Legend
Ooh, that looks delicious @Nicky Borrill! Were you selling that as a special in your restaurant or something?

I personally quite like Biscoff… I had a Biscoff & Caramel Blondie after going swimming this morning, and it was really nice! Although it helps that I love caramel, fudge and toffee flavours in general… those flavours are always my first choice from a box of chocolates!

Will

Strata Poster
I have a friend who enjoys dunking pretty much anything sweet on Biscoff spread. This may be taking it too far.

They are amazing though and that cheesecake can get in my face.