What's new

Hong Kong Disneyland expansion 2018-2023

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Just a small update showing the new coaster under construction.

HKMSG_Hong_Kong_Disneyland_Frozen_Themed_Area_Construction_20200925_1.jpg

HKMSG_Hong_Kong_Disneyland_Frozen_Themed_Area_Construction_20200925_2.jpg

Niles

Giga Poster
Work has come a long way with testing for the coaster underway, people are also riding it:

Here is a look at the coaster and an indoor scene.
1.jpg
2.jpg

Some new Posters.
3.jpg4.jpg6.jpg

A few month old but some drone footage of the site:

3.jpg

The Elsa animatronic:

Source

cookie

Giga Poster
Apparently less than half of the money allocated to the HKDL expansion has so far been spent, leaving the rest towards finishing Arendelle and hopefully getting the stalled Avengers ride in Tomorrowland off the ground.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Opening date of November 20th. Can't be arsed to find the link again, but there's a story in South China Morning Post. Hopefully they'll do a passholder preview thing before that.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
They put out an announcement for passholder previews yesterday afternoon, which I didn't see until the evening, by which time every slot had filled up apart from some for the platinum pass. I downgraded to the gold pass after having the platinum for 9 years since the extra money was no longer worth what was offered, so that was good timing on my part.

Anyway, previews over a number of days from October 23rd. I'm hoping they soft-open after that since it's quite a gap until the official opening date, but I'm so past giving a s**t at this point.

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
Looks like a perfectly fine children's roller coaster that gets its job done. Short enough to where if the children hate it, at least it's over quickly. And if they do like it, it's a step up towards other rides in the park like Big Grizzly. Can't lie, it's alright

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Literally, what you see is what you get. I thought there would be more dark show scenes in the mountain or even a second indoor coaster portion.

Nope, just a glorified roller skater with terrible capacity. Disney at its finest.

CineramaMax

Mega Poster
Literally, what you see is what you get. I thought there would be more dark show scenes in the mountain or even a second indoor coaster portion.

Nope, just a glorified roller skater with terrible capacity. Disney at its finest.
How do we know that the capacity is terrible?

oriolat2

Giga Poster
How do we know that the capacity is terrible?
Two 16-seater trains is not good at a Disney park. For reference, when I worked at Magic Kingdom, our roller skater, with 2 trains and 16 seats each reached a maximum of around 730 pph, and that was with good crews pumping trains out and a short layout.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Yeah, that's looking pretty s**t. I was also expecting a lot more of an indoor section, but there's nothing. I get that the park probably needed a kiddy coaster, but what a wasted opportunity.

Trax

Hyper Poster
To be honest, the theoretical capacity might actually turn out to be decent. The time between block clearance (last car of the lift/last car of the final brakerun) is about 30 seconds, which can result in close to 120 dispatches per hour. 120*16 = 1,920pph, which is actuall insane for such a small ride. Even with more realistic 45 second dispatches (hoping that they can do their work on Europapark level), we are still talking of numbers north of 1,400pph.
Sure, this is on the lower end of what a Disney coaster should provide, but it is still a suprisnigly high number.
So this ride seems to be extremely dependend on the staff.