What's new

Vekoma testing something new ? (at their testing facility)

Rupert

Mega Poster
Thanks for the continued updates! Is this definitely a new coaster concept/test build? Or could it just be storage for coaster parts for a new normal coaster before it is shipped somewhere?

MrRC

Mega Poster
Thanks for the continued updates! Is this definitely a new coaster concept/test build? Or could it just be storage for coaster parts for a new normal coaster before it is shipped somewhere?
These are supports waiting for beeing assembled as a test build.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
That certainly looks like it could be interesting; I want to say it looks like it could be to support a tilt section but why would Vekoma need to build one for testing given that they've already built Gravity Max?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
That certainly looks like it could be interesting; I want to say it looks like it could be to support a tilt section but why would Vekoma need to build one for testing given that they've already built Gravity Max?
My first thought was "that's for a tilt coaster" too.

I suppose possibly their track/train technology has moved on a long way since Gravity Max (2002!), so perhaps they want to re-prove the concept to themselves.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
My first thought was "that's for a tilt coaster" too.

I suppose possibly their track/train technology has moved on a long way since Gravity Max (2002!), so perhaps they want to re-prove the concept to themselves.
Makes sense, because weren't they planning on making one that drops beyond 90° or am I talking rubbish?

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Well, the support structure goes beyond 90 degrees so that appears to check out.
That's one of the reasons why I mentioned it. 🤣

Still though, I'm sure it's gonna be more than just a regular 90° drop like what we've seen before, there was definitely concept art somewhere for one going to Six Flags Qiddiya that had a twisted drop if someone could be bothered to find it.

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
Might not have a twisted drop if this leaked image is real. Concept art after all.
Don't be entirely sure. This is not gonna be a spiral twisted drop, all right, but it looks to be twisting a full 90 degrees, similar to DC Rivals.
Screen Shot 2021-11-07 at 11.55.51 AM.png
In fact, just to attempt to back up the possible legitimacy of this "leak", I uncovered a few split seconds of conceptual animation regarding their tilt coaster during last year's Blooloop V Expo, and while I only have the three screenshots, the one below seems to indeed show a 90-degree twist in the drop, albeit in the opposite direction.
s242zyqla5t51.png

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
I can say for certain that the orange one in the video does not have a twist in the drop because I've watched the video that screen cap is from. However I have no way to confirm the legitimacy of the video other than it has a big Vekoma logo in it.

I guess as is usually the case with these things the ride has gone through multiple layouts on the way to the final design. If someone showed you a pic of the original helix design you'd be hard pressed to ever imagine it ends up as the current Helix design.