What's new

Your Least Common Opinion?

Will

Strata Poster
Perhaps not uncommon, as I don't know how many have been...

I spent a fair chunk of my Chester Zoo visit today in the 'new' Islands area and came to the conclusion that it's more nicely themed than anything a UK theme park has come up with in at least 15 years. With the boat ride, it's always felt a little theme-parky, though I've never been sure if that's a good thing.

(Having said that, it is a good 7 years since I've checked out Chessington's zoo areas)

Furiustobaco

Mega Poster
My biggest controversial opinion is that i think Portaventura is awful. Like it looks lush, has great rides. But i find the operations and atmosphere to be unbearable, the queue-jumping and the in your face fastrack system just p*** me off more. I find the food to be bad, and i always end up more frustrated at the park. It is a shame as it has great potential, but the way the park is ran is not good.

PS: Red Force was really meh when i went. The launch was rattly as hell. Stampida is also really hit/miss, and when it misses oh god it is a bad ride.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
My biggest controversial opinion is that i think Portaventura is awful. Like it looks lush, has great rides. But i find the operations and atmosphere to be unbearable, the queue-jumping and the in your face fastrack system just p*** me off more. I find the food to be bad, and i always end up more frustrated at the park. It is a shame as it has great potential, but the way the park is ran is not good.

PS: Red Force was really meh when i went. The launch was rattly as hell. Stampida is also really hit/miss, and when it misses oh god it is a bad ride.
I couldn't sum up my feelings about the park better.

Matt N

CF Legend
Iā€™ve got another uncommon opinion, that I think may be quite controversial; I like the new IMAScore soundtracks at Thorpe Park, and I prefer the new Nemesis Inferno music to the old one. Not sure about Colossus, as Iā€™ll admit that I havenā€™t really listened to the new IMAScore one that closely and I absolutely loved Colossusā€™ original track, but Iā€™d definitely say I prefer Nemesis Infernoā€™s new IMAScore track, and I also really like the general ā€œJungleā€ soundtrack they did a few years back.

A lot of people seem to hate the way that Thorpe are putting the ā€œIsland Themeā€ as a continuous motif throughout their soundtracks, but Iā€™ll admit that I actually think itā€™s quite cool, and it works well in a lot of their soundtracks! Iā€™d liken it to how Alton Towers puts ITHOTMK through all of their soundtracks; I think itā€™s quite cool how Thorpe have found themselves a similar motif thatā€™s ingrained into all of their soundtracks!

I also love all of Thorpeā€™s new entrance tracks, that they play over the bridge and inside The Dome. I think they have such a bright, happy vibe, yet are also very sleek and fit with the whole ā€œIsland Like No Otherā€ theme that Thorpe has been going for lately! Iā€™m definitely a fan of those new soundtracks!

Matt N

CF Legend
Sorry to bump this thread, but I have some more:
  • I wouldnā€™t be too sad if the Wicker Man pre-show didnā€™t return.
  • Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is my favourite coaster at Magic Kingdom.
  • Wicker Man is my favourite coaster at Alton Towers.
  • I like Oblivion more than The Smiler within X-Sector.
  • I like Rita more than Thirteen within Dark Forest.
  • I didnā€™t rate Olympia Looping at all.
  • My spin tolerance isnā€™t very high, and as such, I donā€™t rate things like spinning coasters and spinny flat rides as highly as many.
  • Venom at West Midlands Safari Park is my favourite UK drop tower, closely followed by Detonator at Thorpe Park. I didnā€™t really get the hype for Apocalypse, personally.
  • I like Gringotts more than Forbidden Journey.
  • I quite liked Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Phantasialand is NOT the best park in Europe. It's not even the best park in Germany.

Maverick doesn't even crack my top 10 coasters at Cedar Point, let alone my top 10 overall.

Energylandia is a bit of a sh*thole. Zadra and Hyperion deserve better venues. I'd have more respect for the place if they started ripping out all of the fairground garbage that makes up the bulk of the offering, rather than building more new lands and more Vekomas.

Goudurix is good.

Oblivion is still the best Dive Machine out there.

Kingda Ka is still awesome.

I don't like Disney parks very much.

Matt N

CF Legend
Phantasialand is NOT the best park in Europe. It's not even the best park in Germany.

Maverick doesn't even crack my top 10 coasters at Cedar Point, let alone my top 10 overall.

Energylandia is a bit of a sh*thole. Zadra and Hyperion deserve better venues. I'd have more respect for the place if they started ripping out all of the fairground garbage that makes up the bulk of the offering, rather than building more new lands and more Vekomas.

Goudurix is good.

Oblivion is still the best Dive Machine out there.

Kingda Ka is still awesome.

I don't like Disney parks very much.
With regard to the bolded, Iā€™m increasingly coming round to thinking that Oblivion might be my favourite Dive Coaster. While itā€™s admittedly been 5 years since I rode SheiKra for the first and only time, and I remember thinking I liked SheiKra more at the time, my recent rides on Oblivion have wowed me more than I remember my ride on SheiKra wowing me in 2016, as much as I loved SheiKra. Oblivionā€™s just so concise; itā€™s a straight-talking hit of raw adrenaline that doesnā€™t mess around! It just throws you down the drop with an awesome moment of sustained air, gives you that awesome feeling of speed in the tunnel, gives you a bonus airtime moment at the end, and then finishes on a huge high!

As I said, though, Iā€™d have to reride SheiKra to be absolutely sure, as it has been 5 years and I remember loving it at the time.

I have another one I just thought of; while not quite beating the Hyper Coaster as my favourite B&M model, the often-maligned Wing Coaster and Dive Coaster models are my 2nd & 3rd favourite B&M models (not entirely sure which beats which).

Also, Iā€™d better not forget; I didnā€™t particularly rate Dinosaur at Animal Kingdom. I think Iā€™m the only one to have that opinion based on most Iā€™ve talked to.

Last edited:

Howie

Donkey in a hat
There's a hot take. Care to expand? Where would you rank it amongst their collection?

Thinking about it more carefully, I'd probably rank it around 9th or 10th at Cedar Point. I just don't get the hype. I wouldn't call it a bad ride exactly (although being launched directly into a trim brake is a HUGE black mark against it), but I just think SteVe, all the B&M's, Dragster, Millie, Wicked Twister and possibly even Magnum XL, are all better than Maverick.

Sir2lazyThe2nd

Roller Poster
I thought scream was smoother than bizzaro when I went on them and I honestly think scream gets too much hate, maybe once I re-ride it next time I go to magic mountain I'll change my mind

Matt N

CF Legend
it's impossible to have a bad day at pleasure beach blackpool.
I can certainly see why youā€™d think that!

Even without going on any rides, I just find the place utterly mesmerising to look at and be within, what with all the rides everywhere and the amount of raw history around!

toofpikk

Mega Poster
I can certainly see why youā€™d think that!

Even without going on any rides, I just find the place utterly mesmerising to look at and be within, what with all the rides everywhere and the amount of raw history around!
was more taking the angle that its such a sh**hole and you inevitably have such low expectations that it would be more of a feat to actually miss those expectations and have a bad day,

but yeah, history or whatever, go off