What's new

Gröna Lund | Monster | B&M Invert | 2021

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
They fill the track with sand post-fabrication these days, which means they have to cut a hole into it, and then place a cap on top.
I wonder if it truly is still sand? I'd be interested to know if there are any other sorts of filler they could use (thinking like insulating foam kinda thing) that would achieve the same job? Or is the density of the sand still one of the critical factors.

Indy

Hyper Poster
I wonder if it truly is still sand? I'd be interested to know if there are any other sorts of filler they could use (thinking like insulating foam kinda thing) that would achieve the same job? Or is the density of the sand still one of the critical factors.

Sand is a common misconception. It is often pea gravel.

Last edited:

Matt N

CF Legend
In an odd kind of way, that layout almost looks a bit like B&M’s take on the Vekoma STC; maybe it’s all the rolls, but it looks to have some similarities to Hals-uber-Kopf to me. I’m probably overthinking it a bit, but I do think the layout looks somewhat similar.

I do think the layout looks very unique compared to other B&M inverts, and it should be a really, really fun ride!

Is it only me who sees that?

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
In an odd kind of way, that layout almost looks a bit like B&M’s take on the Vekoma STC; maybe it’s all the rolls, but it looks to have some similarities to Hals-uber-Kopf to me. I’m probably overthinking it a bit, but I do think the layout looks somewhat similar.

I do think the layout looks very unique compared to other B&M inverts, and it should be a really, really fun ride!

Is it only me who sees that?
No the layout is definitely similar. Three zero-g rolls, airtime, and a junior Immelmann. Hals also has those.

I am anticipating this will be more intense though, and therefore hopefully better.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Given that this was originally conceived sometime in or before 2017 (figuring when this thread was created), I think saying it's B&M's take on Vekoma's model is probably a bit unfair. When this came out, the STC wasn't publicly revealed (to my knowledge), so B&M probably weren't really given that as any sort of reference. My guess is they were approached to create some kind of freak-child somewhere between OzIris and the Chinese FICs.

It wouldn't surprise me (knowing how long some of these projects/ride-types can remain in the development stage) if Vekoma submitted plans for either an SFC or an STC, which were rejected for being not intense enough (and they've already got one) and for not being developed well enough respectively.

Looking at this, and seeing the success of Hals-über-Kopf, I have no doubt that if this contract was being signed 'now' then it'd be an STC.

Matt N

CF Legend
If Vekoma had pitched for Monster, I’d imagine it would probably be an STC, as the park already has an SFC in the form of Kvasten. This may also have been why they went for B&M; B&M could likely provide a more different ride experience to Kvasten (and quite possibly a more intense ride experience in general) than Vekoma could.

Christian

Hyper Poster
We have to remember that Parks & Resorts Scandinavia, the owners of Gröna Lund are huge Vekoma fans. Most coasters they have added in the last couple of years have been from Vekoma. Fireball at Furuviksparken and Wildfire at Kolmården. They also have more Vekoma coasters than coasters from any other manufacturer.

Had a chat with one of the managers at Kolmården who said that the guy in charge of ride acquisitions is a huge coaster enthusiast with hundreds of credits (forgot his name) and that the company regularly sends it's managers to Orlando/Tampa to try out rides. So Monster might have been inspired by Montu and Dragon Challenge. He said that they made the decision to get Ikaros after riding Falcon's Fury at BGT. The manager I talked to also said he was very impressed by Mako, so let's hope that Sweden will soon be getting it's first hyper!

Psycoshark

Roller Poster
We have to remember that Parks & Resorts Scandinavia, the owners of Gröna Lund are huge Vekoma fans. Most coasters they have added in the last couple of years have been from Vekoma. Fireball at Furuviksparken and Wildfire at Kolmården. They also have more Vekoma coasters than coasters from any other manufacturer.

Had a chat with one of the managers at Kolmården who said that the guy in charge of ride acquisitions is a huge coaster enthusiast with hundreds of credits (forgot his name) and that the company regularly sends it's managers to Orlando/Tampa to try out rides. So Monster might have been inspired by Montu and Dragon Challenge. He said that they made the decision to get Ikaros after riding Falcon's Fury at BGT. The manager I talked to also said he was very impressed by Mako, so let's hope that Sweden will soon be getting it's first hyper!
As far as I was aware Vekoma only made the lift structure for Wildfire. The rest of the ride was RMC.