What's new

Energylandia | Zadra | RMC I-Box

Jcoasters

Mega Poster
I have a question I forgot to ask last week to you more seasoned RMC riders.

Around the inside of the taller parts of Zadras wooden supports are ground to top metal support beams. Not just the lift hill, but the mass of wood at each end too. You cannot really see them from the outside, not until you’re inside the structure, and the only picture I can find to show this is this one.

View attachment 6419

My question(s) are, is this normal practice on a conversion? Or just something they have done on a ground up to give more support with less wood?

Also, if these weren’t in place during the collapse, which would seem to be the case as they anchor between the ground and the top, could this have been why the structure was not at full strength yet?

Sorry about the picture, I know it’s hard to tell if they’re steel or wood, but trust me that is steel, from top to bottom all the way around the inside of that mass of wood.

Yeah, it's a fairly common practice. They do it also on Goliath, New Texas Giant, and I assume others.

I assume it's to strengthen the structure while minimizing wood needed. I think a lot of it has to do with minimizing the footprint of the wood, as I don't see any on Outlaw Run, where you have more space to work with lateral bracing wise. It could also just be cheaper and easier.

You'll see GCI does similar things as well. I assume building lateral bracing with the full trestle structure would be impossible or way to difficult during tight turns like this. It's probably easier, cheaper, saves space. I don't know.

overbanked_turns.jpg

iu

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Yeah, it's a fairly common practice. They do it also on Goliath, New Texas Giant, and I assume others.

I assume it's to strengthen the structure while minimizing wood needed. I think a lot of it has to do with minimizing the footprint of the wood, as I don't see any on Outlaw Run, where you have more space to work with lateral bracing wise. It could also just be cheaper and easier.

You'll see GCI does similar things as well. I assume building lateral bracing with the full trestle structure would be impossible or way to difficult during tight turns like this. It's probably easier, cheaper, saves space. I don't know.

overbanked_turns.jpg

iu
Thanks for the confirmation and well written response. I’m going to assume then, that those not being in place, contributed towards the collapse during construction. If lateral support is not complete, and there is a heavy sideways force, i.e exceptional winds, it seems to make sense.