What's new

What is the Best Log Flume?

Edward M

Strata Poster
If I remember right, Timber Mountain was light years ahead of its time...they spent a long time building it - and it was truly one of a kind when it opened. I think John Wayne took the first public ride on it. Think so, but too lazy too look it up

Looked it up, and you are correct! Here's a photo of John and Ethan Wayne on the ride from Knott's website. A cool bit of history there.
blog---log-ride-history-john-wayne.jpg

Somehow, Timber Mountain slipped my mind in my original post. Splash Mountain has it to thank for its, well, just about everything! Truly a revolutionary ride and easily one of the best log flumes out there. Though, I don't know if I'd put it ahead of either Splash Mountain or Chiapas.

Niles

Giga Poster
If I remember right, Timber Mountain was light years ahead of its time...they spent a long time building it - and it was truly one of a kind when it opened. I think John Wayne took the first public ride on it.

John Wayne did and compared to the other log flumes of its time it was way ahead, even now I would compare it to something on the same level as Disney or universal, even though cedar fair did not make it, it is great how they have kept it and keep it running well.

if anyone wants to chill and watch a great documentary here’s this:

Sandman

Giga Poster
Chiapas is good but it's vastly overrated in my opinion. I don't like the boats at all, and the layout doesn't inspire me all that much.

It's still somewhere 'up there' due to the fab theming, soundtrack and final drop, but for my money I'd take Silver River Flume at Port Aventura and Menhir Express at Parc Asterix over it.

Rupert

Mega Poster
Haha Menhir Express! An absolute soaker, to me largely because all of the turns felt too tight for the speed of the water in the channel so water was permanently sloshing over the side every time we hit the wall, which was always. I could imagine it was designed by people that hadn’t ridden many log flumes before (no idea who built it - Mack?). Definitely very enjoyable though.

Also good call on Silver River Flume but it loses a few points for the horrendous cattlepen queue line room (classic PA) and the layout winding about on itself.

Interaction-wise, Liseberg’s is obviously great for the Helix/Lisebergbanan interactions and generally cool setting on the mountainside; and Europa Park’s for the cave interaction with the powered coaster (and that cave smells so good).

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
I'd say Splash Mountain has great theming, but in terms of layout and overall enjoyment? I've gotta say Ripsaw Falls. It's one of those rides that I honestly would've kept riding over and over again if I could!

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
for "traditional" flumes - loggers leap had that lovely double drop, and Blackpools flume was full of "surprise sploshes" when cornering, and I did like silver river at PA.

also have fond memories of the old water chute at great yarmouth..

(miss them all TBH)

For modern versions, Valhalla is just insane and I love the "rave in a cave" element of chiapas. I remember enjoying the water rides in both madrid parks too.

Oliver.D

Roller Poster
My favs are all double down s on the big final drop, and a backward section, like wicky splash holidays park, or flashback walibi belgium.

KristofWB

Hyper Poster
My favs are all double down s on the big final drop, and a backward section, like wicky splash holidays park, or flashback walibi belgium.

Even though Flashback in Walibi Belgium has a great theme (rejuvenation machine), only the look of the gross water makes me turn back. It really is disgusting.