What's new

Cruise Lines to add Bolt & Space Cruiser roller coasters (update page 3)

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
I mean, I'm literally posting this while on a cruise ship myself, off shore of Cozumel, Mexico...
I've never done a Carnival sailing (ew) but this does tempt me....even if it's not a credit.
Also, this ship is so behind schedule that Carnival already had a cancel the first 7 or 8 sailings on it!
Maybe I'll just wait for that NCL ship to build theirs, at least their line isn't infamous.

Albo85

Roller Poster
Remember Desmo Race (Ducati World) supposed to open at Mirabilandia Italy last year?
Well it never did... on the web site it's still not available, also haven't hear any more news or rumour since last summer...
I've only read somewhere it had technical difficulties and apparently everybody forgot about it.
At this point I guess this one it's going to open before Desmo Race.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
FWIW, this ship has been delayed by a few months. the original sailings were set for Oct. 24, 2020 and now it won't be sailing until Feb. 6th.

I also didn't realize this was gonna be a Florida based ship

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
Probably the only type of coaster other than a Mack powered coaster, that can expected to work consistently with windy conditions out at sea. I think a Mack powered coaster might have been a bit more impressive to look at.

Still, a bit of a meh credit for me.

Rather do the Disney cruise water slide or the Norwegian Bliss Go Kart.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Probably the only type of coaster other than a Mack powered coaster, that can expected to work consistently with windy conditions out at sea. I think a Mack powered coaster might have been a bit more impressive to look at.
They haven't managed to get it to work consistently in a field in Italy, I think getting it running at sea is a tall order!

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
They haven't managed to get it to work consistently in a field in Italy, I think getting it running at sea is a tall order!
I don't know why they'd go with something so unproven. I can't imagine cost even being a factor if you want something so crazy on a ship. If a Mack powered coaster was a possibility I'd have that a million times over.
It's not exactly going to be easy to helicopter in some additional engineers to help.

With coasters you can't help but think sometimes customers are just not aware of coaster manufacturer competitors or don't do research. Ie why you'd pay Vekoma for a £20 million SLC when you could have had a gorgeous B&M invert instead.

Pear

Strata Poster
That price includes all construction cost there's no way the ride itself costed 28 million. That's B&M giga level prices right there. I wouldn't be surprised if the park included a lot more in that cost than the ride itself or might just be outright lying about it altogether. Wikipedia lists Kumali as 36 million USD so I guess that's how much it costed then.

If Vekoma SLC's were really that expensive then why would they be at tons of parks all over the world? I doubt smaller parks have 28 million to shell out on them.

TilenB

Strata Poster
Either someone's lying about costs or whoever is doing the purchasing for the park needs to rethink their decisions
Malaysian media reported in early 2019 that the previous owner of the ride, Movie Animation Park Studios had a buyer who was offering 11.48m RMB (~2.11m£) for the ride. So either Flamingoland swooped in with a massive offer to nick the ride away from the previous buyer (very unlikely) or they just moved the decimal point in the money they reportedly spent on the ride...

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Either someone's lying about costs or whoever is doing the purchasing for the park needs to rethink their decisions
I guess that for tax purposes, it could be beneficial to claim you've invested ten times the amount you actually have, but that would also be highly illegal. But yeah, I think they're inflating the numbers massively for press releases, to make the new attraction seem more impressive than it actually is.

Or they could be taking the Disney approach, tricking with leases of intellectual property to move profits around the corporation without paying taxes on it. When Disney spends a billion dollars on a new area, I'd guess around 90 % of it is a "license fee" that the Parks division pays the IP division for the rights to use the IP in the new area. That way, a substantial amount of money is listed as an expense and not as a transfer of capital, which would be taxable. Although I don't see how Flamingoland could be big enough to use such a trick, and most alternative variants of it tend to be illegal (for instance, Flamingoland Administration paying £20m to Flamingoland Construction for a new coaster. Flamingoland Construction spends £3m building the coaster, and pockets the difference. Flamingoland Administration could then write off £20m in investment, while Flamingoland Construction somehow moves the £17m out of the company over the next few months and ends up without making profits that year, hence not making money and not having to pay tax either. The tax authorities would have the bunch of them in jail by Christmas).

So yeah, probably just inflating the numbers for PR.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
To steer back on topic, I think one of the reason this will have been chosen is that it's much lighter than a Mack powered coaster (to use the other example stated here).

Of course, cruise ships are enormous - orders of magnitude heavier than even the heaviest of coasters - but a good maritime engineers considers the whole system and how it works dynamically. A great big coaster train thundering around the top deck is probably not ideal.

Doesn't change the fact that the Maurer is an odd choice given its track record, mind...

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Could have gone with an Intamin Halfpipe, no valley risk there!
Carnival has also stated the coaster will be an up-charge and not included with the booking although they haven't listed what the price per ride will be

Albo85

Roller Poster
If Maurer is going to make this model work (...they still haven't yet) I believe it's gonna be much more thrilling than the regular powered coaster by Mack....
I've seen Desmo Race testing last week and it looks a lot of fun!

Geeky Pastimes

Mega Poster
Jubilee Odyssey cost so much because it's in a place with crazy winds and the ground is crappy for foundations so apparently the supports go as far underground as they are above. I grew up near there and remember all of it in the local papers about how hard and expensive it was to build it there on the coast.

Christian

Hyper Poster
I think Carnival wanted to make a coaster that fits absolutely all ages. If the rider controls the speed this could easily be ridden by parents with small children. Children that would be afraid to ride a similar sized Mack powered coaster. Also, this ride is very big! Bigger then I expected.