What's new

Gullivers Valley

Tomatron

Giga Poster
^The original concept of the site looked half-decent, but it's been scaled back and back to the point where now it's just beyond underwhelming.

I'd like to give it a chance and try and go with an open mind, and I've got friends and in-laws with families I can tag along with for creds.

But nothing I'm seeing is making me remotely interested or excited, and knowing some of my friends' kids, they'd struggle to get interested or excited too.

nadroJ

CF Legend
^The original concept of the site looked half-decent, but it's been scaled back and back to the point where now it's just beyond underwhelming.

I'd like to give it a chance and try and go with an open mind, and I've got friends and in-laws with families I can tag along with for creds.

But nothing I'm seeing is making me remotely interested or excited, and knowing some of my friends' kids, they'd struggle to get interested or excited too.

I've seen various people with kids saying they're uninspired by what they're seeing so given the lacklustre attitude and the current economy I'll be really interested to see where the park is at this time next year.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
From the pure cred-hunter point of view too, it doesn't help that this place just had one cred currently, which has been at Gullivers Warrington for ages anyways. The woodie has seemingly been cancelled, if it was ever actually meant to happen.

I simply can't entertain the idea of even taking my 5 year old brother here. Would probably take him to the other Gullivers parks, but this one seems so pointless. If I was up in the region, I'd probably go the bit further to do Flamingo or Lightwater tbh

Matt N

CF Legend
Apparently they went with the Rotherham site as opposed to expanding one of their existing sites because there’s more expansion potential than at the other locations. Besides, I think Rotherham is also quite highly populated, isn’t it? With a good marketing campaign, the park could be very successful!

From the first look, it maybe less appealing than other Gullivers theme parks. But like @Matt N said, there's more expansion potential and this could be the best Gullivers theme park, in the long term future, after years and years of new rides and attractions and plenty of new theming and landscaping added

Matt N

CF Legend
I still think the park looks nice for what it is, though; you have to start somewhere! Also, the park might look nicer in a few years’ time once the planting has all grown!

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Perhaps I'm being cynical, but given the current climate, they can't really afford to think too long term. They need some momentum.

People who visit now are going to be given what is ultimately a cheap and basic park, which lacks most of Gullivers' standard resort offerings at the moment. If you're left with that impression, why would you want to revisit?

I'm all for them adding and building up over years, but if your foundation is cheap, there's no guarantee you can really do that building up. At least, not without harming your reputation.

Last edited:

bdrizzyb

Roller Poster
It's open, from the video it does look hardly any more than a Wakey warehouse with a fun fair attached and some caravans, but does look like it may have potential, let's hope! They do have a small petting zoo too, and a walkthrough that looks like it rips off monsters Inc!

Last edited:

Ethan

Strata Poster
It's open, from the video it does look hardly any more than a Wakey warehouse with a fun fair attached and some caravans, but does look like it may have potential
Yeah, I'd say this could potentially close down within the year.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
The Monster Mansion walkthrough (see about 11mins in) looks alright actually - well themed and a fun little thing...though the knock off Monsters Inc characters painted on the walls is somewhat questionable.

Rest of the park, meh. Parts of it have the Gullivers look and feel to it - not a bad thing as for what it is, Gullivers theming isn't terrible. But the whole park doesn't really feel right or work at the moment. Hopefully they've got enough there to keep people interested long term, but as I've said before, I'm really not so sure...

Matt N

CF Legend
In a very interesting move, it would seem that Gulliver’s Valley recently opened what looks like a Zamperla Midi Discovery or similar:
Children must be braver than I expect, because while I know many young kids are very brave, I certainly wasn’t expecting a ride that inverts a full 360 degrees to go into a theme park supposedly aimed at young children!

bdrizzyb

Roller Poster
They did add one at there Milton Keynes park a few years back. It is a weird move as parks like Paulton's have opted for non inverting models. BUT! As there parks are aimed at the 2-13 market, these days 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13 year olds want to go on major rides like Icon and Nemesis, so I'm actually surprised there isn't more family thrill/Thrill rides at there park's as 9-13 is over a third of there target audience. I'm also guessing they run this ride with tame cycles and also with intense cycles with two separate queue lines, just like there Zamperla Disc'o at Gullivers Warrington.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
The Milton Keynes one opened last year I believe.

I wonder if it's because, somehow, Gullivers' target market has widened slightly, and families with slightly older children are continuing to go, or whether they've realized that they need something a bit more thrilling to compliment their line ups? In either case, it's a way of rounding the line up up a bit more and making it more complete, which is good.

Strange to go for what is arguably quite an intimidating ride, but if it works it works I guess.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Am I the only person who actually thinks this park looks a LOT better than expected? Granted that’s mostly down to just how low my expectations were, but I’m still fairly impressed with the finished product.

Sheffield, Rotherham, Doncaster and Leeds to some extent is a huge customer base to draw from... I think they’ll do fine.

Will

Strata Poster
^
After seeing the FB post, I was just about to post the same thing - that hadn't fallen under my radar at all, to be honest, I'd forgotten the park existed, but now it can be added to the 'spiteful' column of my missing UK creds spreadsheet :D