What's new

SeaWorld Orlando | Pipeline: The Surf Coaster | B&M Surf Coaster | 2023

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
We really don't know any more about this aside from what's been posted. B&M appears to be working on a new model and Sea World Orlando is likely getting the prototype, but all this has yet to be confirmed. B&M tends to be pretty mum on their projects - we heard rumors about their developments of a launch mechanism design and also their answer to the 4-D coaster for over a decade with essentially no evidence. Ultimately the rumors were confirmed when Raptor at Gardaland was announced as well as Thunderbird at Holiday World. We likely won't know much else until we see a Sea World announcement.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
I was thinking it could be a sort of suspended stand-up coaster where you stand kinda sideways on surfboards. But that's probably a bit too out there.
Knowing B&M, they're gonna play it safe. - I remember back before Raptor at Gardaland was announced many thought the - now well known wing coaster - would be B&M's version of a 4D coaster, but it turned out much less spectacular. I suspect the same with this.
Most realistic guess is probably their take on a water coaster.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Yeah, that won't work. Forces would murder someone

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Out of interest how different would the forces be to some of the more extreme Miami / surf riders out there... Or similar flats where you move sideways in each direction with rapid changes in acceleration.

Not suggesting that this concept is a possibility, or that you’re wrong, as I really don’t know... So I’m just wondering why you think the force would be too much in those directions of travel. Seems it works on flat rides that in some cases certainly feel like they pull stronger more sustained positive, negative and lateral Gs.

The concept actually fits the name well too, when you consider these flats.

Matt N

CF Legend
I still think that it could be B&M's take on an AquaTrax-style attraction, potentially; I remember someone saw a promo shot of Ocean Park's planned expansion that was thought to be a B&M Surf Coaster, and it looked like a regular sit-down coaster with water jets & water interaction.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
At this point, you're splitting hairs. That hardly changes the ride experience from what already exists - it just makes the view a lot worse.
It's completely feasible. That's like saying B&M floorless and a B&M invert the same ride experience because they both involve sitting down. Not saying it's a good idea but the concept is hardly ridiculous.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
It definitely won’t have anything to do with a Stand Up coaster. People figured out pretty quickly that they arn’t actually any fun to ride, and don’t bring anything to the table that a sitdown already brings, but better. There’s a reason one hasn’t been built for over two decades, and rehashing it would not be the answer.

Geeky Pastimes

Mega Poster
I think it's going to be like a Vekoma booster bike but a wing coaster, maybe with the ability to tilt forward or backward. The Surf part will come from it being like a Jetski. Imagine a preshow part where you're alongside water and it bobs up and down like youre floating, then it launches and tilts back a bit to make you feel like it's faster than it is. Would be unique and fit the name.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Yeah, that won't work. Forces would murder someone

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Technically as mentioned before in another thread it's been done before. Although on fairly tame rides. Speed Boarder in Tokyo sat 2 side by side.
joypolis30.jpg

Then there's the original Thompson switchback.
Screenshot_20200505_134008.jpg

Sure you could make a ride which sits or stands people sideways, but why would you. It would be crap.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Yeah, really hoping it's not a new-gen stand up coaster. Especially when parks have been converting the stand ups anyway. They're easily the worst models I've ever done, never enjoyed any of them.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I honestly don't think stand-ups had a fair shot (and flyers for much of the same reasons). Looking at what B&M built; Chang, Mantis, and Riddler all featured a very similar archetype with their layout. Certain parts of both Chang and Riddler were clearly lifted from Mantis resulting in unimaginative layouts with similar experiences. Both Vortexes (Vortices?) were results of Paramount being Paramount: hop on the bandwagon for as cheap as possible. We'll give B&M a pass for Iron Wolf since it was their first ride. Georgia Scorcher, on the other hand, is truly a diamond in the rough, and I believe that it's because the ride deviated so much from the rest with its completely unique layout and focus on turns as opposed to inversions and snappy transitions. I bet if a park gave B&M one more crack at it and requested something along the lines of Hair Raiser at Ocean Park, or maybe even Superman Krypton Coaster without the cobra roll and corkscrews, it would have been a bigger hit.