What's new

Midwest USA/Canada Park thoughts

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Bit delayed but here are my thoughts on some of the Midwest/Canadian parks that I did this summer. Will probably write it in sections as there are quite a few parks to cover.

Canada's Wonderland was the first park but visited again at the end of the trip so will review at the end.

Michigan's Adventure

Right well I can see why people say it's a bit meh but it's ok and imo worth one visit. I've done worth parks. Shivering Timbers is high, fast and has a really great layout but it's massive issue for me is that it is just too darn rough. Sat out of doing more rerides because I felt like it was shaking me up too much. Did it a few times to confirm that it really rough and it didn't improve. If this thing gets a retrack it. Could enter people's top 10s I think though (I believe it did when it opened) so one to watch!

Six Flags Great America (2 days here, one before and one after Little Amerricka/Mt Olympus)

Park with so much packed in, I guess I'll start by saying Maxx Force's launch is insane! It's got that "gut punch" feeling that people talk about stealth having but imagine it much quicker! Was speechless on the brake run (which is strangly the pull out of the last inversion) on my first ride as it really is an experience! Difficult to rank against kk/ttd because the launches are different with this being an air launch but this thing shouldn't be underestimated! It also waits for approximately a decade before it launches so that definitely adds to the tension. Launch is super loud as well!

Rest of the park. Loved Goliath, one of my favourite RMCs because it isn't wiggly and weird, the zero-g stall and dive loop amongst the supports are awesome! As everyone says it's just a bit short.

X-flight didn't really wow me, wing coasters and probably my least favourite b&ms so no surprise there. It's decent enough.

Secret star of the show is American Eagle! This ride is so underrated, literally had never heard about it but it was one of my favourites at the park! It's got airtime and that runaway feeling play the dueling aspect (although not sure it dueled at all). Just one of those really good time rides where you come off with a smile.

Other things of note: Joker was gross (as predicted), demon was fab and has a catchy song from the 70s/80s, raging bull is kinda as bad as people say but if you don't compare to other B&M hypers it has some decent twistyness. Always like an intamin impulse. Whizzer was awesome and a great classic! Loved it! Log flume (the boat one I think) propelled you into a wall of water at the bottom of the drop for some reason so got very soggy on that! Was not expecting that!!

Next up, Little Amerricka and Mt Olympus.

Last edited:

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Little Amerricka

This small park was on the way to Mt Olympus and had a rare cred. The chance toboggan!! Been wanting to do one of these for ages (and also dreading) and this was as weird as it looked. The cabins are tiny and you're basically sat on the ground surrounded by cushions everywhere. Very claustrophobic and a sign of what was to come. The vertical lift is pretty terrifying and the sense of relief when you make it over the top is notable. It picks up quite a bit of speed by the end so by the time you get to the bottom you're bracing for impact. Due to the padding it's bearable but it's definitely one of those "why am I doing this hobby??" moments! I can't imagine what the ones with loops are like!!

The rest of the park is cute with three other creds, a homemade looking kiddie cred, woodie which was ok for its size and a strange wild mouse thing that I don't think had any seatbelts and threw you around quite a lot! It's a Hershell wild mouse and according to rcdb one of only two operating! Glad to have done that! Also enjoyed the roll-o-plane, one of those classic rides I now try and do if I see after doing my first one last year at Knoebels.

Last edited:

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Mt Olympus

Right so first up obviously got to talk about Hades 360. This ride is absolutely mental!! Came off my first ride contemplating whether to sit out of rerides because it was so intense! The dive underground becomes a crazy out of control experience where you are rattled around at speed in complete darkness before being thrown into daylight in the inversion. Just when you think ok was that the craziest bit you're underground again and hurtling around all over this place. This ride is really something else. Definitely should be on every enthusiast's bucket list if not already been ridden as it really is unlike anything else (I've done anyway!). I wouldn't rank it super high because I found it really rough and brutal but I can see why people fate it highly. Absolutely crazy ride!! I caved and did a load more rerides and I believe some seats were smoother than others (think possibly the front was the best??).

Rest of the park.
The other woodies were decent too, the two other largest ones were also quite snappy/violent. I seem to remember Zeus having some quite intense airtime and Cyclops with its crazy drop round past the station. The kiddie woodie was ok, don't remember much about it. Tried to ride the kiddie cred (didn't read the sign properly) and the op let me in, let me sit down in it and then told me I couldn't ride! So close! Bit weird considering it's not the smallest of kiddie creds but nevermind.

The park in general is very odd. Not sure I liked it but it was a very hot day and that can eat into the enjoyment of parks. The park just felt like a weird mix of things with a huge water park (toilets all seemed to be near here to everything was soaking!), loads of woodies then not much else. Definitely recommend a stop here to experience it all but it wasn't one of my favourite parks and not somewhere I'd be desperate to revisit quickly. Hades 360 is such an experience though! Didn't stop in the Dells to see any of the tat but it looked like there were a few things to explore in that area if you had some time.

Last edited:

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Indiana Beach

Quirky, small old school parks like this are always on my bucket list and this park lived up to that reputation. It's in a scenic area right by a lake and has a nice retro vibe to it.
Obviously the standout ride is Lost coaster of superstition mountain. After seeing a coaster studios vlog (and hearing about it elsewhere) I was intrigued by this somewhat legendary wacky ride and it did not disappoint! It was originally a dark ride but had been converted to a coaster and man does it ride weird!! You can face either forwards or backwards but neither direction will help you get your bearings as you fly around hairpin bends and down hidden drops in the dark. It's one of those rides you just laugh and freak out round the whole way, even with complete strangers if they happen to be in your car! Such a laugh! Another one I'd say need to be on everyone's bucket list because there is nothing like it around! You'll want to reride again no doubt as I did!

Rest of the park.
Unfortunately the Hoosier Hurricane was down all day but Cornball Express was decent. The woodies weave around each other and by the lake so have a unique setting in a way. The S&S El Loco was meh as expected but the Jet Star was fun. Always enjoy a ride on a jet star and they can pick up quite a bit of speed. The chairswing ride over the water was slightly terrifying as it tilted your chair back and forwards as you went round. Very disconcerting. Luckily I had already done the one at Michigan's Adventure by this point so I was somewhat aware of that surprise beforehand. The motorised car ride provided you with a different view of all the rides and how they weave together but the car I got was very sluggish. Classic chairlift is nice with the view as well. The sideways magic carpet thing is worth doing just for the weirdness. If you enjoy sliding across your seat constantly that is the ride for you!! Think I prefer the knoebels one!!

Overall the park has a lovely quaint retro feel, a must for anyone who likes that kind of stuff. I'd consider it a must for coaster enthusiasts anyway for Lost coaster though! It's a good stopping point between SFGAm and Holiday World.

Last edited:

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Holiday World

First up, this park lives up to the hype!! What a fab place!

The Voyage.
Ok so obviously I've got to talk about voyage first. Now I'm going to be honest the first ride I did I was a little disappointed because it was so rough/abusive and didn't quite live up to my very very very high expectations. Ok so I like beast, el toro etc so was thinking this might be my new number one and I came off thinking nope, not a number 1 for me. Time for more rerides. As the day went on I started to appreciate it more and more. The sheer size of this coasters is insane and it just goes on and on and on. You get used to the intensity and can sort of defensively ride against it. Night rides on the Voyage are like a must-do pilgrimage for any nerd. I know I said that about hades and lost coaster but this is non-negotiable. Seriously! Absolutely amazing! I think the front was my favourite but it's hard to remember now. One of my favourite parts is the drop in the tunnel which feels so out of control. This is especially good in the dark as the tunnel is pitch black! Insane ride, didn't quite make it to number 1 as it's quite intense to reride but it's made it's way solidly to number 6. Glad to hear they're retracking that would no doubt only increase it's score from me.

Rest of the park.
Ok so, like others have said the water park is a must. Do not miss wildebeast or mammoth!! So. Much. Airtime!!! I was sat at the front of wildebeast with my feet crossed out over the front of the boat and literally felt like I was never in the boat at all! There's water in your face, airtime, water in your face, more airtime and repeat! Crazy! Mammoth is basically the same but in circular ring form which is hilarious as you get to laugh at everyone else exclaiming at the airtime or getting water in the face! So much fun! Even if you don't like waterparks (I do) it's a must do!

The other two woodies were decent although both felt a bit like "laterals: the ride" which was a little on the slightly unpleasant side. I can see why Raven rated highly prior to Voyage. Thunderbird was great, loved the launch which didn't feel too weak like I was fearing. Definitely my favourite B&M wing as I like the launch and vertical loop as well as the general setting and layout. I couldn't help but feel like the pilgrim's plunge area looked strange and empty as it makes Thunderbird feel like it's out on its own. I have heard that something new may be coming soon there though. I made sure to do the kiddie cred first thing in the day after reading about Chris' abuse from parents on his trip. Luckily there was barely a queue and I tried to look cute and innocent so got away unscathed. ? The park is really pleasant just to be in, I love the free drinks (it was about 31 degrees so super hot) and the suncream, again for the same reasons. Really gives a good impression. Had the roast dinner meal thing which was amusing in the summer as well!

All in all a lovely park, one of those I wouldn't mind visiting again anytime!

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Kentucky Kingdom

I was interested to see what this park was like because it has quite a complex history including the recent revival.
Storm chaser is a decent RMC, not one of my favourites as it's got the joltyness but it does have a really good zero-g roll which stood out. Decent ride. The planes taking off behind it add to the view as well and make for a good photo opportunity. The park has a weird layout with the waterpark in the centre which I think is due to it's complicated history. Lightning Run. Now I had seen this ride in some people's top 10s but when I had researched it I couldn't quite see the hype. Turns out I didn't get it in real life because I did not enjoy this ride at all!! It was uncomfortable, rides like a Chance take on an RMC but rides worse than a jolty RMC. Good to have done it because it's unusual but definitely not the ride for me! Operations were quite slow on it as well I seem to remember.

Other things of note.
Kentucky Flyer was not quite as good as I had hoped mainly I think because I was comparing it Wooden Warrior I think. Not a bad ride but it is is pretty small. Good introductory woodie for the little ones though. T3 is as bad as everything you've heard. It's got kumbak trains and it disgusting from beginning to end! Thunder run was decent.

All in all I felt like the park was very (jolty) airtime focused so wasn't quite to my taste but I am interested to see what they do with it in the future.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
King's Island

The Kentucky Kingdom day ended with night rides at KI as well as most of the next day with an excursion to Stricker's Grove. I did KI last year so I won't review the rides again but will add some extra thoughts from this year. Last year I loved the beast but then this year really noticed the trims on my day ride. I legitimately felt betrayed because I've been defending it all year from the haters! Luckily a duck and night ride had it redeem itself. it's definitely best in the dark so it's a shame that so many people don't stay because they have to get enroute to CP. Just a drawback of it's location I guess. The runaway feeling of the last helix and the whole ride is great in the dark, especially if you go when there are fireflies and post-firework gunpower scent in the air! I demoted it a little in my top 10 due to the inconsistency (which I've come to find seems to be quite common with woodies, might be due to the nature of wood and retracking etc) but it still holds a proud place in my top 10!

Vortex wasn't actually as bad as last year but that might have been because I was preparing for headbanging. I still think the biggest loss from it's removal will be the visual loss as it has quite a presence in that area of the park and it quite photogenic. Hopefully we'll get something good there in a few years. Still maintain that Flight of Fear is underrated, think Diamondback was slightly less rattly than last year but really about the same. Racer was good, as before. Mystic is great as always and one of my favourite GCIs. I am still in the camp that Banshee is good if you don't treat it like a normal B&M and consider it to be it's own thing. I've seen people say it's intense and others say it's forceless but i'd say it pulls some considerable force in places. I also love the theme and colour, so pretty haha. Bat, fab as ever.

Don't get the hate that some people give this park, one of my favourite US parks, might be because I like the woodies as they're quite a main part of the park.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Stricker's Grove

If it's open I'd say make a stop to do it, especially if you have a cedar fair pass and can nip in and out of KI. It's about half an hour is so from KI but it's not open very often (about 8 days a year plus other special events if you can blag it). This was a fair event so no blagging required. Got two decent for their size woodies that are worth doing. I always like to up my woodie count and enjoy exploring the middle of nowhere random roadside US parks like this. They had a strange looking flat ride I'd never seen before amongst others and some animals there so had a look at them including some cute kittens! Good, cheap extra stop!

Cedar Point

So next was Cedar Point. I went last year so this is mainly a comment on changes or extra thoughts. Managed to appreciate Steve a bit more than last year, clearly grows on you. Still my top RMC, just (Zadra nearly overtook it!). Still not in my top 10 which seems to trigger some people on here but it's not that it's bad it's just not my favourite style of ride! absolutely hated Magnum last year but rerode and it was at least bearable this time. I think I just have got a bad seat last year but I still dont really like it! A few breakdowns occurred during the day, one on maverick at least (so only got one ride boo) and gatekeeper consequently meant no ride this time round. Also, not sure if someone puked on me on Millennium Force as there was a strange spray of liquid on the last straight (behind panda express) and some kids infront thought someone had puked, yet since then someone else told me they noticed it too another time. It remains an unsolved mystery. Still the thought was gross enough and I had to go wash my face just in case!!!! Coupled with that and it being a super hot day it was quite a tiring day. Park was busy so ended up in TGIs in the hotel for lunch. Hasn't walked around there before and it made a nice break from the bustling midway so swings and roundabouts! Nice view of the beach. Dragster was great as always! Although Raptor isn't my favourite at the park I can see why people think it is underrated.

Last edited:

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Kennywood

This was an extra stop added in relatively last minute after Steel Curtain's opening was announced. It happened to be opening weekend and the second day of proper operation, risky business! The ride opened at 12 and the queue was about 1-1.5 hours which for opening weekend was decent. What a unique ride! The lift hill feels so exposed compared to the B&Ms and Intamins that reach a similar size (hypers) so if you're a bit scared of heights you'll really notice that! First inversion is fun, again, it has that added height element! The coaster is much more about positive G's than airtime but it has both at different parts. It's quite the mashup. It was quite smooth, at least I didn't notice it being too rough but not quite as smooth as a new B&M or RMC. Hope it doesn't gain a rattle. The ride keeps it's pace throughout and is hard to compare to other coasters because it's so unique. I wouldn't say it rides similar to galeforce at all, or a gerst looper or really anything else I've done. It is very much its own thing!

So the day before or so there were rumblings of sky rocket reopening after about a year or so's hiatus. I was spited by it last year so was hoping for a miracle. Surely not right? Of all the days it could reopen it wasnt going to be then. Well it went and reopened didn't it! That very day on steel curtain opening weekend!! What are the chances!? Throughput was terrible and ride was ok, launch was decent fun, the rest was mediocre but man was I smug and pleased about that stroke of luck! Couldn't believe I was getting +2 because I had started thinking I might not have got any new creds if SC was down! Awesome!

Itinerary meant that there wasn't a huge amount of time to wander the park as it was a bonus addition so decided phantom was the obvious priority now. Last year I enjoyed it but found the seats a bit uncomfortable as I landed a bit funny on my lower back on one of the airtime hills on one ride as the seats as so 'laid back'. Managed to successfully avoid that this year and was reminded of just how good that drop down the hill is! I enjoyed it so much it made it's debut in my top 10! Would have liked to have ridden jack rabbit again for the fab double down but this was only a quick pitstop.

Last edited:

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Waldameer

Waldameer was another bonus as it was on the route and is quick to pop into. Went last year so just reriding Ravine Flyer II in the dark.

Now, this is another example of my newly found distrust in ranking woodies because last year I rode this in the rain and thought it was majorly overhyped. This year, in the dark is was amazing!! Was blown away by how good it was because I was expecting something mediocre! I am wondering whether they retracked it over the winter or something because it wasn't half as rough as I had remembered it. It's kind of like a mini voyage in the dark, crazy, fast and relentless where you have no idea where you're going next. Due to this it has worked it's way into my top 10, something I would have laughed at last year!

Seabreeze

This park is a cute little seaside park that's worth a visit imo because it has a couple of old/rare creds. Jack Rabbit was my 500th coaster and another old cred for he liat as it opened in 1920. The bobsled cred was quite unique as it had a sort of wild mouse layout but not. Rest of the park was cute with mostly kiddie rides by quite well looked after. Whirlwind was ok and got spited by the kiddie cred due to height/age limit I think. No big deal though.

Six Flags Darien Lake

Not much to say about this park really, it's kind of similar to Michigan's Adventure hats it's ok but clearly under-invested in compared to the bigger parks in its' respective chain. Worth a visit if you already have a pass. None of the creds were particularly stand out, Ride of Steel is better than the SFAm one, which I believe it is a mirror image of, but half the ride is still a helix. Pleasant enough but still one of the worst of its type. The arrow looper is worth doing for the retro cred but is nothing super exciting, along with the rest of the creds. The woodie was closed which was a shame but it didn't look to be anything super special and the kiddie cred was kids only. They had a couple of interesting rare flats that were worth trying.

Last edited:

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Fantasy Island (NY)

Visited both Fantasy Islands this season which amused me. This visit was mostly for the woodie, Silver Comet which turned out better than I had expected. It's a CCI which is quite large for the size of the park it's in. The rest of the park is pretty much a load of travelling rides thrown together, which would be fine if the price was a little bit lower, but I understand that this is a tourist area. Just seemed a little much for what it was but still glad I went for the woodie. Park was dead so had a few rerides. The wild mouse was down all morning and ops/maintenance staff said it wouldn't be open until later in the afternoon so it wasn't worth the wait as Marineland was on the afternoon agenda. Got the kiddie cred (of course) and there appeared to be a go gator under construction. Did the train ride for lols and saw some of the wild west show that they have in the wild west area near the entrance. All in all one of the least exciting parks of the trip but still worth it to do Silver Comet and check out somewhere new. Definitely only worth a few hours/half day visit though.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Marineland (CAN)

After visiting Fantasy Island, this park was next on the day's agenda. Now I had heard lots of mixed things about this park but I wanted to visit for myself to see what it was all about (particularly as some predict it may not be around forever). This park certainly lives up to it's odd reputation. The park is laid out as if they were planning to fill in all the gaps with further ride or animal attractions at a later date but this never happened. The entry area feels like it's straight out of the 70s/80s and has this eery feel of days done by as if it hasn't been busy for years. It wasn't a super quiet day but the park didn't feel that busy because everything is so spread out.

Animalwise I had heard mixed things about the place, particularly with it's history and management but I had heard that the staff work hard to enrich the animals and give them good quality care. What I saw reflected this which I was really pleased to see. There were a couple of things I would have set up differently but the standard of care looked good from what I could see.

On to what everyone wants to know about, Dragon Mountain! So once you've trekked through the park to the entrance you reach the legendary arrow, Dragon Mountain. The guy working at the entrance was very friendly and the queueline leads into a cave where the station is which creates quite an atmosphere. What a weird ride!! It's good but also bad at the same time, it's super smooth, think it's the smoothest arrow looper I've done (compared to say vortex, anaconda, loch ness, demon, dragon fyre, viper at darien lake) and the layout is as odd as it looks. The top of the lift (which takes ages) gives a good view before the first inversion in amongst the trees, you then have more meandering through the countryside through all the strange or lacking theming elements (which if you read up about they had quite a few ideas for). The re-entry into the mountain is a fun twist which comes out into the butterfly before more strange meandering. Maybe it's because I like Beast which is also a random meandere but I thought the layout was kinda fun and quirky. Potentially my favourite of the arrow loopers. As it was quiet it was easy to get a few rerides in too.

The rest of the park is a random collection of things including a kids water park, kiddie cred, some other rides and the drop towers on the hill which I didn't even go up and see because the hill looked massive and it was quite a warm day. They had the creepiest underwater viewing area and aquarium with some ancient looking carp in tanks near the entrance which just strange. There was also a huge arcade and a weird shop full of blow up toys in huge piles and boxes like they had ordered 100 of them around 10 years ago and only sold about 5! Just strange all round!

Overall I found my visit to be pretty interesting both just to explore such a weird place and to get the Dragon Mountain cred. A stop off at Niagara Falls after was an obvious must-do after as well!

Last edited:

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Now for the final park... Canada's Wonderland!

Canada's Wonderland

I spent two half days here and a whole day (one half being at the start of the trip and the rest at the end). I'd definitely recommend more than a day here if you want all the creds and definitely if you want to try some of the quirky flats (would also recommend)!

The creds. Ok so let me get this out of the way first. I think I may have preferred Behemoth to Leviathan. The first drop on Leviathan is great but the rest just seemed to be banked corners. Behemoth is trimmed (boo) but seemed to have more classic airtime hills and any cred over water gets extra points from me. I'd probably rank them about the same, I just didn't get the major Leviathan hype that I was expecting. Didn't hate it but it didn't blow me away.

Yukon! Imo this was the best B&M of the three and the best dive I've done. The drop into the tunnel is good and the addition of the vertical loop (finally!) just adds something extra for me. Offride it is a visually pleasing ride with the water/tunnel/vortex interactions as well.

Vortex. Front row Vortex was secretly my favourite ride at the park, not even joking! For some reason the back didn't deliver the same swing but the front row gives you max swinging the whole way and even slams into the breaks at full swing! The drop off the mountain and low to the water corners add extra levels to the ride and it's just one of those rides you get off with a big grin! Had multiple rerides and it is definitely my favourite arrow suspended coaster (just got one more operating one to get, ninja)!

The rest of the creds. Both woodies were decent, I seem to remember thinking the minebuster one was quite good but I think it was a bit rattly?? The powered cred through the mountain was weirdly good fun, the helix into the mountain with the dragon is executed well, so much so I rode more than once out of choice! Wonder mountain guardian is a must do (with locker faff urgh). My gun didn't work so I didn't get the interaction stuff from that but I only realised what the "surprise" was just before it dropped when it stopped! The drop was surprisingly long! It's a weird ride but a must do for the odd factor! The boomerang was shut but obviously not a major loss, arrow looper was ok, SLC was gross as per and the volare was the worst coaster I've ever done I think (worse than hero!). Absolutely, horrendously, gross to the max!!!

Flat rides. Sledgehammer was as weird as it looked, slightly better to watch than ride and risked a bit of headbanging if you didn't brace for the "launches" but definitely worth doing for the novelty factor. The double top spin (Mondial apparently) was ok, the top scan lacked a bit of intensity (similar level to Samurai if not slightly better), the round-up/enterprise-cross thing (Night Mares, Huss UFO apparently) was interesting and less sickly than expected and I didn't get on the mondial inferno (air wolf thing) as I left it to the last day and it was down. It looked nice and very canadian though. Also saw a mounty acrobatic show on the lake that was cool and included people with those jazzy water jet packs.

Overall the park was nice and well rounded but lacked anything super standout. I liked the fact that the park had the mountain centerpiece as something a bit different and it has a decent collection of good rides. It's one of my higher rated cedar fair parks, I'd put it below CP and KI but above KD, DP and MA. As you can tell, I like an interesting flat (within sensible reason) so the selection was a nice bonus on top of the creds.

That concludes my 2019 mid west North American trip report, I hope you enjoyed reading it!

Last edited: