What's new

Tracking Your Children at Park

CoasterMom98

Roller Poster
I've got four kids (5, 8, 11, 14) and am often bringing the kids by myself to the park. What do you do to ensure you do not lose your kids? I think the park should offer GPS or wifi wristband rental to track your kids for the day. Would anyone else want that?

Matthew Fair

Mega Poster
I've got four kids (5, 8, 11, 14) and am often bringing the kids by myself to the park. What do you do to ensure you do not lose your kids? I think the park should offer GPS or wifi wristband rental to track your kids for the day. Would anyone else want that?
You can buy GPS trackers on eBay to put in their pockets- bit of a creepy option but I don't know what else to suggest

VikingsAf

Mega Poster
You can buy GPS trackers on eBay to put in their pockets- bit of a creepy option but I don't know what else to suggest
I don't know how that is a creepy option when they're that age and they're your own children...

Is it not your responsibility to not lose your kids - not the park's?
It is, by asking this question she is taking the responsability. So not sure if your remark is in place.

At OP. I think gps trackers are the best bet, or ensure that you can take some other adult with you, who can help you keep an eye on the kids.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Don't many parks, especially family focused parks, offer wristbands for you to write name and phone numbers on? I think that's fine. GPS / WiFi / Bluetooth technology is much more expensive and feels a bit more invasive (plus could be bad in the wrong hands: these things aren't always totally secure, despite best efforts).

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It is, by asking this question she is taking the responsability. So not sure if your remark is in place.
Not if the question she's asking is also a pointed jab at how parks don't do it for her... :rolleyes:

@JoshC.'s options sounds like the most pragmatic solution. If you can't keep your kids under control then I might suggest a busy theme park isn't the place for them, but at least you'd have that fail safe if they did get lost.

I mean, really it can't be that much of an issue when you think about it. How many kids must pass through Disney each day? I'm sure we'd know about it if a notable percentage of them were just in Lost & Found at the end of each day...

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
Tracking them? ....as in tying them to coaster track? ....I'd advise against that....but there's probably a mumsnet discussion where you can find better info! ;)

jay37415

Mega Poster
Most major music festivals (or Disney) now have you wear a wristband that is RFID enabled. It helps them with tracking crowds when there are multiple venues. I am sure we will see major parks implement them in the near future. especially on busy days. This technology would be a good idea for helping track missing children and to pair the wristband with their parent's so the child cannot leave the park without a parent.

But to answer your question, I always set up a meeting point with my kids ans say we meet here at a certain time if we decide to seperate. As we enter the park, I always make sure to point out where guest services or security is in case they get lost. Yes! I have received a phone call from security saying my kid is with them. But generally, we stick together and do it all as a family. If a child wants to ride something that someone else does not. then I will let the ones who want to ride get in line while the non riding ones and I will wait by the exit.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
There’s a few tracking chips and the like that have been suggested, but how could anyone forget these?

e04e651638e213f4379dda3432c2fc3c.jpg

Your 14 year-old might not be too happy with it but it’s a surefire way to keep track of the kiddos. :p

Hope you guys have fun in all seriousness!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Not if the question she's asking is also a pointed jab at how parks don't do it for her... :rolleyes:
The OP didn’t have to be read as a “pointed jab” at parks for not taking care of her kids for her. The OP can be read as her saying she’d like a rental wristband as an option, and she was wondering if others would also want such a thing.
I’m not sure why this thread is intermittently laced with so much criticism for a simple question.

vdch34278

Roller Poster
Why not wake up and realise that you, the parent or guardian, are the one responsible for your the children? This brings back very convoluted memories about threads in the r/unpopularopinion Sub-Reddit on Reddit where parents attempt to justify tracking their children at all times. Once they find out they will probably be very paranoid, and they will hate you.

jay37415

Mega Poster
Why not wake up and realise that you, the parent or guardian, are the one responsible for your the children?

Agree.. yes. However, no matter how much you try to manage three kids at an amusement park. You will always have one that you think is in one place but will wander off. The time (or two) I lost a kid at a park, it was our "home park" which all of us are familiar with and that was when my wife was with me.

Also, the OP noted that the oldest was about 14. That's about when you can give a child a little more freedom to explore. Especially with friends. I remember visiting parks as a teen with school/ youth groups and all we had to do was check in at certain times. We all have memories of exploring parks with out parents.

So lets not be too judgemental and lets share how we can make the hobby a good experience for our kids. In case you're wondering, my kids are 14,12, and 10 and all have had 50 creds by the time they were 10 and will have 100 by the end of May 2020.

Last edited:

vdch34278

Roller Poster
Agree.. yes. However, no matter how much you try to manage three kids at an amusement park. You will always have one that you think is in one place but will wander off. The time (or two) I lost a kid at a park, it was our "home park" which all of us are familiar with and that was when my wife was with me.
Well then, that's your problem.