What's new

Accident at Alton Towers

The problem will come when they reopen it with the same theme, especially if they choose to advertise it on TV or around the park. There's no way the media won't pick up on the concept of the ride if the theme stays the same and they'll just see it as a huge park not being sensitive to past incidents.

Let's say it opens in 12 months time with the same 'join the smiler' get 'marmalised' to the point where you have changes to 'mind and body' and join the 'ministry of joy' cult. Makes no sense anymore.

And if they change all the terminology it'll just be stupid, it'll have all that sinister laughing in the queue, ride staff dressed in those costumes that signify they've already undergone the changes. The park will never risk it. The media will use it after ride reopening to cause a storm and again bring negative publicity.

Why is everyone so keen on keeping the theme anyway? In light of recent events it'd be a stupid business decision and the park know it, hence why they've ripped all the signage and merch out. I wouldn't fancy walking around in a smiler t shirt after recent circumstances
it has been four years, get over it!!
the smiler will stop for no one, smile always!!!

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
it has been four years, get over it!!
Says the one resurrecting a topic which hasn't been posted in for over a year... :rolleyes: Cool to see you're a new member, but i'd recommend posting on more recent topics and adding something to the discussion rather than attacking a member on a dead topic. Dear god I created this monster of a thread. What have I done?! I am so sorry CoasterForce. I didn't realise what it would become ? I'm going to go back to lurking. Perhaps it's time to shut this thread?

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Until people let them move on, the greatest park in the UK will never be able to get back to doing what they do best. New owners, nearly a new decade... I agree, time to close thread (not that I’m under any illusions that my opinion matters whatsoever ?)

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Celebrity Big Brother isn't going on anymore, I think it's safe to close the topic.
Love Island is the new BB.

She would absolutely win it, hands down, the public always go for the one with the sob story.

Edit - Sorry for bumping this **** thread.

So it would appear a guest has been taken away by air ambulance today according to the AT Facebook page. Hoping it's nothing major. Does anyone know anything more?
I've seen different reports from different sources that someone "fell ill" on Th13teen. Knowing the media and Alton Towers, they'll over-exxagerate everything to make Towers look bad.

Niles

Giga Poster
HR Director at Alton Towers, Jo Mountney, said:

"The air ambulance has been with us this afternoon. They were responding when a guest became unwell on one of our rides so they came to help our unwell guests.

"The ride, as is standard practice, was temporarily closed, whilst the guest was helped by ambulance teams. The air ambulance has now left site and the guest is on their way to hospital.

So looks like someone was unwell is all, nothing to bad.

HR Director at Alton Towers, Jo Mountney, said:

"The air ambulance has been with us this afternoon. They were responding when a guest became unwell on one of our rides so they came to help our unwell guests.

"The ride, as is standard practice, was temporarily closed, whilst the guest was helped by ambulance teams. The air ambulance has now left site and the guest is on their way to hospital.

So looks like someone was unwell is all, nothing to bad.
Yh nothing to do with Th13teen at all... But you know the British media!

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
OMG!!! Dangerous ride, should be shut down now. It's a public health risk!!! I'm never taking my kids again!!! Theme parks should be banned!!! They're sooooo dangerous!!! ?

In all seriousness though good to hear it's nothing serious. Sounds like it must've just been some freak illness. But yeah glad to hear it's nothing to do with Alton or Thirteen. Scary how this thread gets resurrected mere days before the latest "PUBLIC HEALTH CRISIS" at Alton Towers... * insert Twilight Zone music here *

Matthew Fair

Mega Poster
OMG!!! Dangerous ride, should be shut down now. It's a public health risk!!! I'm never taking my kids again!!! Theme parks should be banned!!! They're sooooo dangerous!!! ?

In all seriousness though good to hear it's nothing serious. Sounds like it must've just been some freak illness. But yeah glad to hear it's nothing to do with Alton or Thirteen. Scary how this thread gets resurrected mere days before the latest "PUBLIC HEALTH CRISIS" at Alton Towers... * insert Twilight Zone music here *
In all fairness it's still pretty serious- sounds like someone could quite possibly had a heart attack

Ethan

Strata Poster
this is pointless after four years

get a BLOODY LIFE everyone!!!!!
Yet here you are, posting in this thread...

Hopefully whoever was lifted out of there is ok. I'm just wondering, where could a helicopter even land at Towers? The only place I can think of is the field at the bottom of Towers Street, or the car park, which would have to be empty?

Matthew Fair

Mega Poster
Yet here you are, posting in this thread...

Hopefully whoever was lifted out of there is ok. I'm just wondering, where could a helicopter even land at Towers? The only place I can think of is the field at the bottom of Towers Street, or the car park, which would have to be empty?
The field at the bottom of towers street ? I think Alton Towers and Midlands Air Ambulance will have a plan/agreement in place stating that as the designated landing site because I've seen a few air ambulances land there in the past to deal with medical emergencies.

Last edited:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
The field at the bottom of towers street ? I think it's the designated landing spot because I've seen a few air ambulances land there in the past to deal with medical emergencies.
Yep, have always landed on the lawns in front of the towers.

But I guess if needed, they could clear and use a staff car park such as the one behind the towers / cloud cuckoo land?