What's new

Flamingo Land | Sik | Intamin 10 Inversion Coaster | 2022

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Magnetic brakes can only slow a train, not completely stop it. You still need friction brakes for that.
I know but it's nothing like a train completely clearing the station and going part the way back up the lift hill, not to mention that Intamin use drive tyres instead of friction brakes, so they would stop the trains anyway.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Surely its gotta be close for shipment, if it's to be re-painted at the Interlink plant then shipped to Flamingo Land? When do you reckon shipment will begin?

Also just out of curiosity, how do you get these updates? :)
Simple. I use the ESA Sentinel Satellite servers.
The ESA Sentinal program doesnt have the 2m or 3m spacial resolution of paid sites like Tera Server (Google Earth also has good spacial resolution but the temporal resolution (it takes weeks/months to update) makes is fairly useless here).

However in this case the 10m spacial resolution of Sentinal is fine since we know exactly where the track/supports are and what colour they are (Red and Yellow).

In this case we have a control image which is this image from Google Earth taken in December last year showing the track and supports at MAPS.
Perak3.JPG

So we know exactly where the ride is and the colours. (Its on fairly dull grey ground which helps)

Perak1.JPG
This image from the 28th of July is from the Sentinal Sat servers in 10m spacial res and shows the same area. Now the resolution is much worse than Google Earth but we know the colours of the ride and its exact position so its safe to say those red and yellow blobs are the track and supports of the same ride. Unless for some reason MAPS have replaced the Intamin with identical coloured decoys... I think its safe to say this isnt true.

Perak2.JPG

This is the latest image from the 7th of August. The issue here is the previous image taken on the 28th was the last image on the Sentinal Servers without cloud cover. And therefore by far and away the clearest. However this image from the 7th is just about clear enough to make out Red and Yellow blobs which should be the Intamin coaster still sat there.

Hopefully that explains how i check :)
Sentinal servers link - https://apps.sentinel-hub.com/eo-browser/?lat=4.664567&lng=101.082265&zoom=18&time=2019-08-07&preset=1_TRUE_COLOR&datasource=Sentinel-2 L1C

JoshC.

Strata Poster
At the time, Colossus cost around £10m, and that included removal of what was there, landscaping, buying a brand new coaster and having some supports in water.

Considering this is a second (third?) hand ride, and we've seen that there was a bid of little over £2m for the ride itself, this likely isn't costing Flamingo more than £10m I'd say..

Plus, the park's social media is awful, so there's that too.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Ok so I took some pictures of the construction site yesterday, giving an overview of the site. They aren't the best, and the best views of the construction site are honestly from just riding Velocity. Also, I couldn't find those teaser posters anywhere around the site, which I thought was odd.

The foundations for the brake run and maintenance bay have been dug out, so we know it will have the same maintenance bay setup as most of the 10 inversions:-

1. Brake run and maintenance bay footers.
IMG_20190810_175120647.jpg

IMG_20190811_111056323.jpg

IMG_20190810_175444331_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190810_175341924.jpg

IMG_20190810_175112401.jpg

IMG_20190810_111028918_HDR.jpg

I'll post more photos from next Friday.

Last edited:

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Also, I couldn't find those teaser posters anywhere around the site, which I thought was odd.

Hmm, that is odd. I also find it odd that the coaster itself, as far as we know, is still lying in bits in a field in Malaysia.
This whole project is very odd to be honest, and I'm still not entirely convinced that it won't go tits up. I hope it all works out ok, but there's still plenty that could go wrong and until track starts going vertical on site I'll still have a seed of doubt.
Or two.

GregBoxall

Roller Poster
Hmm, that is odd. I also find it odd that the coaster itself, as far as we know, is still lying in bits in a field in Malaysia.
This whole project is very odd to be honest, and I'm still not entirely convinced that it won't go tits up. I hope it all works out ok, but there's still plenty that could go wrong and until track starts going vertical on site I'll still have a seed of doubt.
Or two.

I was there on the 6th and all the fences around the site were covered in posters. Pretty odd how they've removed every single one...

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Those sorts of signs really do act like sails in the wind. Until you see the effects first hand you don't really realise how much they can pick up - I've seen fencing with those signs (held in place with concrete slabs!) move a solid couple of meters in gusts of winds. Quite scary really.

So yeah, I'd imagine the weather is the reason. It's sensible and logical.