What's new

Denmark, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
BOBBEJAANLAND — Poor Bobbejaanland has the disadvantage of following two days at Efteling, so the park struck me as a bit dreary. The park has a large collection of notably mediocre coasters, IMO, and this makes Fury stand out quite a lot. For me it’s not a world beater, but it’s definitely a fun coaster, and to my surprise I may have liked it more going backwards (backwards sections of coasters don’t usually do that much for me). At least it was funny when the rider next to me was desperately voting to go forward, and then when the car began to pivot to move backward, the other riders cheered and he began to moan in fear, which turned into terrified screams throughout the ride. OK, this anecdote is making me sound like a sadist now, but it was funny.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Woke up with a stomach in revolt for some unknown reason, so I needed a rest day. I’ll be moving Toverland to tomorrow, and nixing Movie Park Germany. The rest of my schedule should stay the same.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Woke up with a stomach in revolt for some unknown reason, so I needed a rest day. I’ll be moving Toverland to tomorrow, and nixing Movie Park Germany. The rest of my schedule should stay the same.

Out of those two, Movie Park is definitely the right one to ditch. However, if Toverland isn't too busy you might be able to do both parks in one day without breaking too much of a sweat. Toverland is lovely, don't get me wrong, but if crowd levels are favourable you can easily smash it out in a couple of hours if you have to, and MPG is only an hour up the road. Just a thought...
And also, when at Toverland, whatever you do don't miss Blitz Bahn. It's well hidden and very easy to overlook so if you can't find it, ask someone.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Out of those two, Movie Park is definitely the right one to ditch. However, if Toverland isn't too busy you might be able to do both parks in one day without breaking too much of a sweat. Toverland is lovely, don't get me wrong, but if crowd levels are favourable you can easily smash it out in a couple of hours if you have to, and MPG is only an hour up the road. Just a thought...
And also, when at Toverland, whatever you do don't miss Blitz Bahn. It's well hidden and very easy to overlook so if you can't find it, ask someone.
Thanks for the tips. The first thing I usually do is hit the credits listed for the park on coaster-count, so I would definitely seek out Blitz Bahn if I couldn’t find it. I’m a map scourer as well.

I’ll bear the two-park possibility in mind, but I did want to savor Toverland. As for it being crowded, the hours every weekday are 10-6, but tomorrow for some reason unknown to me the hours will be 10-11, their usual Saturday hours. That makes me wonder if tomorrow is some kind of holiday in the Netherlands.

Or maybe the Dutch just really love their Wednesdays.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Blitz Bahn just may have the most detailed and creative queue line I’ve ever experienced. The line moves slowly as well, but I actually didn’t mind as it gave me the chance to notice more details.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
TOVERLAND — Howie, you were right that in terms of time I could have done Toverland and MPG in one day, but I was still physically recovering today, and it was all I could do to cover Toverland — although I finished the day marathoning Troy ten times anyway. :p

Fenix is surprisingly shaky for a new wing coaster. It offered one or two nice moments of airtime, but it’s also notably short.

Troy rides really wild, but in terms of air, it’s just floater, so for me it’s nowhere near the caliber of Renegade and American Thunder, which offer flojector throughout. That said, I had a ball on Troy, and there is one hill at the back of the coaster where you consistently get floater for the entire arc of the hill, landing only at the bottom (and you can hear the train “landing” there as well).

Also, it took me entirely too long to realize that the best ride was the front row. I mean, all rows offer good rides, but the front gives a bit more powerful air, and I wish more of my ten rides were concentrated there (instead, as they were allowing re-rides if no one was in line for your row, I was hopping around in less-often-picked rows).

Matt N

CF Legend
Random question; are you going to hit 500 coasters on this trip? As your CoasterCount profile in your signature implies you're pretty close!

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Random question; are you going to hit 500 coasters on this trip? As your CoasterCount profile in your signature implies you're pretty close!
Yes, I was trying not to count ahead (which is good, because I dropped Movie Park Germany, anyway), but last night I had a quick look. Seems I’ll hit five hundred at Europa Park. I was thinking Wodan might be a good candidate, though I considered Arthur, oddly enough. Any burning suggestions?

Matt N

CF Legend
Yes, I was trying not to count ahead (which is good, because I dropped Movie Park Germany, anyway), but last night I had a quick look. Seems I’ll hit five hundred at Europa Park. I was thinking Wodan might be a good candidate, though I considered Arthur, oddly enough. Any burning suggestions?
Hmmm... if I was you, I'd go with whichever you like most out of B&M hypers (Silver Star), Mack launch coasters (Blue Fire) or GCIs (Wodan).

Out of interest, have you been to any more parks since Toverland?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Silver Star and Wodan are the best coasters at the park (by a mile) if they're running well. Blue Fire is probably a bit more consistent though.

I'd go for Wodan, personally.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Hmmm... if I was you, I'd go with whichever you like most out of B&M hypers (Silver Star), Mack launch coasters (Blue Fire) or GCIs (Wodan).

Out of interest, have you been to any more parks since Toverland?
And that’s why I’m thinking Wodan.

Yes, I’m ending my second day at Phantasialand, writing from a “tavern” right now. I’ll give my quick thoughts on it tonight. (Spoiler: the thoughts are ... quite positive.)

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
PHANTASIALAND — Just finished two days.

I had heard for years about the phenomenal theming at Phantasialand, and the night before I remember thinking that surely the hype has set me up for some level of disappointment. No. No, it did not. The legends are true.

Winjas. Fear a bit better than Force. Got two rides each side. I love all the various little surprises, and I like the way each ride is different — my second ride on Fear featured a moment of fantastic backward airtime down a drop. My only complaint is that the ride is not exactly testicle-friendly.

Raik is the most amazingly themed pointless coaster I’ve been on.

Talocan had me cackling like a madman for both rides, which were rather different from each other, btw. When it really gets spinning, the intensity is on the level of Tivoli’s Vertigo.

Probably the best log ride and the best raft ride I’ve been on — and finally some European flume/rapids rides that actually get the riders wet — first of this trip.

The drop tower has great theming, of course, but the drop was surprisingly wimpy. And I’m definitely not a drop tower guy.

Just considering the ride by itself, Black Mamba is actually a pretty weak invert compared to most I’ve ridden. However, the theming does something. It doesn’t just make the ride pretty or pleasant; the theming actually intensifies the ride and makes it pretty great. I rode this three or four times.

Colorado Adventure is weirdly wild for a mine train coaster. I rode it four times, and it contained moments that had hints of that Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain feeling — not that level of crazy, to be sure, but a hint of the feeling. I felt I had to hold on tight to be kept from being thrown out.

Taron. Yesterday I covered almost all the rides in the park, and saved Taron to the last ride of the night before it closed. My first impression was similar to that of some other Americans I’ve heard: it was very fun, and of course the theming is beyond reproach, but the ride is lacking a little in intensity.

Then there was today. After mopping up a last few things I didn’t get to yesterday, I spent the second half of the day largely marathoning this coaster. The single rider line hit that sweet spot for long stretches when it became nearly a walk-on (despite the regular line being quite long). I got in 22 rides today. Suffice it to say, my estimation steadily increased the more I rode. Really key for me was putting my arms up and keeping them there. Then I got in that zen mode of swaying and bending with every inch of the coaster, anticipating every curve and dip because I’d done it so many times. By the end of the day, I loved this ride so much, and it certainly didn’t seem tame any more.

After a particularly long stretch of riding, I got off with wild surfer hair from the wind and with a now-sun-beaten face, just glowing from the experience, and I walked into a Klugheim tavern that is impeccably themed to a medieval fantasy inn. I sat down in the corner, and ordered a large flagon, er, bottle of fizzy water, then got an amazing and heartily “themed” dish of potatoey fare in a wooden bowl. As I poured myself another mug of ale/water, I suddenly had a moment when I felt I might be Aragorn or the Hound in a moment of medieval-fantasy repose. And only slightly less cool and daunting.

But it was while sitting in such a great little tavern having such wonderful food and drink, and still basking in the afterglow of that Taron marathon, that it hit me: this is probably my favorite park. Period.

Last edited:

Howie

Donkey in a hat
^Wow, praise indeed.
Seems like you're having great trip so far. How many more parks to go?

Edit: S'ok, I checked in the planning topic, Holiday Park tomorrow then? Coooool... I've not been but I hear Expedition Geforce is decent :)

Last edited:

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
^Wow, praise indeed.
Seems like you're having great trip so far. How many more parks to go?

Edit: S'ok, I checked in the planning topic, Holiday Park tomorrow then? Coooool... I've not been but I hear Expedition Geforce is decent :)
Yes, looking forward.

The itinerary is also listed in the first post of this thread.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Really enjoying reading this, short reports, but to the point and entertaining, thanks for sharing. Can’t wait to see if you still rate PL no1 after Europa. (P.s PL is my favourite park too)

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Let me get a little rant out of the way. EGF operations. I’m not being a prima donna about this, but when you have been to a whole lot of parks, you know what’s normal and what’s not in operations. You can see what should be, even when it isn’t. EGF is not crowded at all. In fact, it clearly should be a walk-on. I was actually amazed at the small number of people there, considering it’s a Saturday, the park is decently attended, and there are only three coasters.

But the park is only running one train. Still, that’s not the problem. It’s the Byzantine process of checking the restraints, carried out in such a glacial and indifferent manner.

The ops here have actively taken a walk-on situation and MADE it into a thirty-minute-plus station wait. Just amazing.

And now I’m eating cold pizza. ?. This isn’t Phantasialand any more.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Fear not, good sir, for you shall be at Europa Park soon where all faith shall be restored.
I'll take Europa over Phantasia any day of the week... but I guess we'll see it how pans out for you. S'gonna be interesting.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Fear not, good sir, for you shall be at Europa Park soon where all faith shall be restored.
I'll take Europa over Phantasia any day of the week... but I guess we'll see it how pans out for you. S'gonna be interesting.
Let the two parks fight to the death.

In a good way.