What's new

Kings Island | Orion | B&M Giga Coaster

dontbesuchamcbr

Roller Poster
I like what I see. I am very sure, that this coaster will be lots of fun and if everything goes well, I will fly to Ohio in a year and enjoy it (if they open it for start of season season).

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I'll say it again - I was hoping it wouldn't be a giga so the fanboys wouldn't get their way.

giphy.gif

And the bitching that I expect will ensue:
  • The lift isn't 300 feet tall
Meh. Last I checked, a 301 ft. drop is still a 301 ft. drop, and a foot taller than MF's drop (a straight 300) at that! Superman: Ride of Steel at SFA and Phantom's Revenge spring to mind as hyper-coasters-shorter-than-200 ft.; they didn't feel any less hyper than a 200 ft. lift hill.

I mean let's be real, it's a giga. Look to Goliath at SFOG, with a 200 ft. height by 175 ft. hill. It's a great ride, but is it a true hyper?

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
giphy.gif

Meh. Last I checked, a 301 ft. drop is still a 301 ft. drop, and a foot taller than MF's drop (a straight 300) at that! Superman: Ride of Steel at SFA and Phantom's Revenge spring to mind as hyper-coasters-shorter-than-200 ft.; they didn't feel any less hyper than a 200 ft. lift hill.

I mean let's be real, it's a giga. Look to Goliath at SFOG, with a 200 ft. height by 175 ft. hill. It's a great ride, but is it a true hyper?
I don't disagree. Lots of people are glossing over the fact that it's still ****ing tall.

Jcoasters

Mega Poster
giphy.gif

New, coming to ________, 53 meter 'Mega Coaster!' We all know 300 is a nice round number to appease the brain. :D

EndlessWire

Mega Poster
"Smallest giga" is still a hell of an accolade. It's the same as saying that Jenson Button is the UK's least successful world champion this century, it's still pretty damn impressive. I think this looks superb - are we expecting full four-across trains or staggered Shambhala-type trains?

Matt N

CF Legend
"Smallest giga" is still a hell of an accolade. It's the same as saying that Jenson Button is the UK's least successful world champion this century, it's still pretty damn impressive. I think this looks superb - are we expecting full four-across trains or staggered Shambhala-type trains?
I’m presuming regular 4-across, as the last B&M hyper built with staggered seating was Shambhala in 2012. Also, neither of the Cedar Fair gigas have had staggered seating; both Leviathan and Fury have 8 rows of regular 4-across seating, so I’d presume the KI giga will follow the trend.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I’m presuming regular 4-across, as the last B&M hyper built with staggered seating was Shambhala in 2012. Also, neither of the Cedar Fair gigas have had staggered seating; both Leviathan and Fury have 8 rows of regular 4-across seating, so I’d presume the KI giga will follow the trend.
I hope it does, to be honest. I think the 4-across B&M clamshell trains might be the pinnacle of coaster train design. Wonderfully comfortable and so sociable. The staggered seating ones just disconnect the riders so much.

Last edited:

Matt N

CF Legend
I hope it does, to be honest. I think the 4-across B&M clamshell trains might be the pinnacle of coaster rain design. Wonderfully comfortable and so sociable. The staggered seating ones just disconnect the riders so much.
I've heard that the regular 4-across seating also causes less drag, so the ride should run faster, in theory!

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
I was there this weekend and that clearing is HUGE. Starts at Firehawk site, can be seen to the left of Beast’s trim shed through the trees. There are some markers on site, construction fences up by Firehawk, but no teasers yet.

Part of me thinks Don will pull a Steel Vengeance with this. Our giga is essentially in the same position as Cedar Point’s RMC Mean Streak. We’ve been wanting it for years and now we’re finally getting it, the more they deny the enormous patch of deforestation the more it fuels the buzz.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
We know it's happening and we have all the blueprints so there's not really any more buzz to fuel. We essentially know everything.

This is what I mean. It’s Steel Vengeance all over again. It’s been in hot demand from the fanbois over the years, we know almost exactly what it is, all that’s left to do is sit back and watch them build it.

Personally I really don’t see a problem with it. Coaster enthusiasts always go on about how bigger/linger/faster isn’t always better yet decide that this isn’t tall, fast, or long enough. First off, if the 301’ drop height rumor is correct, it’s the 7th biggest coaster drop in the world, 11th tallest if it’s overall height. Drop directly into an insane speed hill, curve to the right, absolutely shred through a hammerhead turn, a few hills and an ampersand honestly sounds like a solid combination to me. Go with the space theme that’s rumored and the SpaceX nerd in me will be even happier.

Went to the park today with my DSLR and got some photos from Eiffel Tower, but what’s interesting couldn’t be captured on camera. There’s a MASSIVE clearing stretching from the old Firehawk plot all the way over the Dinosaurs Alive site, that’s visible. But what isn’t visible is that it curved behind Windseeker and ends running parallel to Beast’s trim shed. While they left a good thickness of trees between the coaster and the dirt, it can still very clearly be seen from Beast. We’re likely looking at a Diamondback-style clearing in the woods to set the stage for Polaris.

Anyway, pics pics and more pics!

644064d3d0cd4351ecd6d668893bd4d9.jpg

Can’t be seen but it stretches behind Racer!

6bc2e7aa912336f5749000d8988af350.jpg

RIP Firehawk, trains are still chilling on site but there are survey stakes that can be seen from Racer!

aad3aecdf5233cfe5af3b00f449c34c7.jpg

Not sure if it was outlined in the print or not, but we have foundation for some sort of building going adjacent to Blue Racer’s turnaround. I doubt it’s related to Project 2020 but it’s worth noting.

2a493dbd33aab3886775df5f317ae6df.jpg

Won’t be the tallest coaster at Kings Island for long!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pear

Strata Poster
Drop directly into an insane speed hill, curve to the right, absolutely shred through a hammerhead turn, a few hills and an ampersand honestly sounds like a solid combination to me. Go with the space theme that’s rumored and the SpaceX nerd in me will be even happier.

The drop will not be followed by a speed hill. After the drop will be an overbanked turn and then a reverse treble clef after that.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
One downside to this will be how close it cuts to the Beast - a part I've always enjoyed of that ride is emerging from the first tunnel when it is just you, the track, and tons of forest. Looks like there's a high likelihood you'll see the Treble Clef turnaround above the tree line headed into the second turn.
Not in the dark you shouldn't, and who rides the Beast at any point before darkness falls?! :confused: