What's new

Kennywood | Steel Curtain | S&S Multi-looper

Pear

Strata Poster
image0.png

LOL they had to remove the spine connection and cut out a crosstie to get it out!

image0.png

c9eb41776c34bb8620cdc0df57e1afcc-png.jpg

Amazing

CeramicRabbit

Roller Poster
In This Thread: Everyone goes over photos of the construction process with a magnifying glass to find flaws being worked out that will have no impact on the final ride just so they can **** on S&S.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
^That little guy.

Meanwhile down in Florida, a highly visible portion of Tigris was cut and rewelded. Premier has built eight other Sky Rocket IIs before Tigris...how in the world could they possibly **** it up? But nevermind them - CF will completely ignore that boo boo. **** S&S because of Gale Force or something?

Pear

Strata Poster
I just think it's funny to see so many mistakes. You don't need to go over the pictures with a magnifying glass to see something is wrong. If Intamin/RMC/Gerstlauer or anyone else did the same I'd be laughing at it too. I even laughed at Tigris' messed up support.

At least it's on track to open before WCR

CeramicRabbit

Roller Poster
I just think it's funny to see so many mistakes. You don't need to go over the pictures with a magnifying glass to see something is wrong. If Intamin/RMC/Gerstlauer or anyone else did the same I'd be laughing at it too. I even laughed at Tigris' messed up support.

At least it's on track to open before WCR
I get that it's humourous but I don't agree this isnt looking for mistakes with a magnifying glass. People literally pointing out stuff being misaligned by a few inches in construction or a single cross bar being removed at the very top of the lift where it doesn't even matter.

jay37415

Mega Poster
An old school contractor once told me," The difference between a good contractor and a bad contractor is how well they cover up their mistakes." I work maintenance at a large factory. we just went through a billion dollar expansion (yes with a B). I would guess that we had to go back and fix 80% of the equipment that was installed by contractors to get it working correctly. Nothing is going to be prefect.

What you're witnessing is the beauty of the internet. People will whine and moan about not enough social media coverage concerning construction or downtime updates.( Just look at the dumpster fire that was created when Dollywood was so hush hush about Lighting Rod.) Yet at the same time if a park posts construction updates almost daily, people are going to go through the pictures with a fine tooth comb to find anything wrong they can.

Personally I am excited for this coaster. Will these few alignment issues change that...NO. Because I know there are many capable fabricators and welders that can make those repairs onsite and nobody will notice.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
An old school contractor once told me," The difference between a good contractor and a bad contractor is how well they cover up their mistakes." I work maintenance at a large factory. we just went through a billion dollar expansion (yes with a B). I would guess that we had to go back and fix 80% of the equipment that was installed by contractors to get it working correctly. Nothing is going to be prefect.

What you're witnessing is the beauty of the internet. People will whine and moan about not enough social media coverage concerning construction or downtime updates.( Just look at the dumpster fire that was created when Dollywood was so hush hush about Lighting Rod.) Yet at the same time if a park posts construction updates almost daily, people are going to go through the pictures with a fine tooth comb to find anything wrong they can.

Personally I am excited for this coaster. Will these few alignment issues change that...NO. Because I know there are many capable fabricators and welders that can make those repairs onsite and nobody will notice.

I understand your perspective. And I've worked on a ride project and around them before, even a brand new B&M or Intamin will require the designers to hang around during the first few months after installation. Things always go wrong and there's always teething issues and unexpected construction worrys. ALOT of it doesn't end up on the internet and as a community we love to speculate, I think we're all aware that there's abit of an in-joke here with how particularly we look at construction and downtime, I wouldn't take it too seriously.

The reason we're focused to much on the mistakes here is S&S's track record! Alot of their large scale coasters have seen massive issues. Two of their coasters didn't even operate for a week before they were closed and eventually taken down. One of their most recent coasters was almost a year late with opening and had to be completely re-tracked. Plus this ride is their biggest project yet. We're all almost expecting failure. I kinda hope we're proven wrong though.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Yeah, I mean, the reason we don't do this with B&M is 'cos B&M aren't making the mistakes.

I understand life is messy and engineering isn't an exact science, but I struggle to live with things that have to be hacked apart on site because they don't fit.

Those famous track mis-alignment issues from Smiler - yeah sure, I get that. It's silly that it happened, but if the footers are cast slightly off the net effect can become a gap in the track. That's life. On this, however, it's a piece of S&S track clashing with a piece of S&S support at the top of the ride. It's totally removed from any "unforeseen site conditions", they should have been able to build this in the factory. Did they not review their fabrication and installation documents properly?

Yes I try to cut them slack, I do understand. Some things, however, are more difficult to excuse. I want S&S to succeed - I think they're totally ****ing bonkers and I really do love them, but they need to step up in some aspects.

CeramicRabbit

Roller Poster
I understand your perspective. And I've worked on a ride project and around them before, even a brand new B&M or Intamin will require the designers to hang around during the first few months after installation. Things always go wrong and there's always teething issues and unexpected construction worrys. ALOT of it doesn't end up on the internet and as a community we love to speculate, I think we're all aware that there's abit of an in-joke here with how particularly we look at construction and downtime, I wouldn't take it too seriously.

The reason we're focused to much on the mistakes here is S&S's track record! Alot of their large scale coasters have seen massive issues. Two of their coasters didn't even operate for a week before they were closed and eventually taken down. One of their most recent coasters was almost a year late with opening and had to be completely re-tracked. Plus this ride is their biggest project yet. We're all almost expecting failure. I kinda hope we're proven wrong though.
Speaking of Intamin, this is Millenium Force. Based on how you guys are grilling the construction of Steel Curtain I can't imagine what you would say if the final coaster had a ****up like this included, not to mention the rail that people were hitting their fingers on that Intamin had to cut out after the ride opened.

Attachments

• 6117ce9-1.jpg
    6117ce9-1.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 58

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Speaking of Intamin, this is Millenium Force. Based on how you guys are grilling the construction of Steel Curtain I can't imagine what you would say if the final coaster had a :emoji_zipper_mouth:up like this included, not to mention the rail that people were hitting their fingers on that Intamin had to cut out after the ride opened.
I would have said exactly the same thing - substandard design.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Steel Curtain hasn't shown any substandard design, just potentially substandard construction contractors. Millenium Force was substandard design.
They had to cut a piece of track to bits to get it to fit with another piece of track/support. Sure doesn't sound like a design issue. :rolleyes: