What's new

Alton Towers Dungeon

Lofty

CF Legend
The London Dungeon's boat ride is also the size of a postage stamp, same as Edinburgh's. I just can't see how they'd utilise Charlie's boat ride as it's really long in comparison and the other two boat rides don't rely on lots of sets to get their story across; London's has one primary scene and the lift/drop, then you disembark and Edinburgh's has a show scene half-way through the layout which is literally an S bend in layout. To fit a full Dungeons experience within the current building of Charlie, I highly doubt them utilising the boat ride, or if they did, it would be absolutely tiny in comparison. It's not a HUGE building and these scenes together set up quite a lot of space.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
The London Dungeon's boat ride is also the size of a postage stamp, same as Edinburgh's. I just can't see how they'd utilise Charlie's boat ride as it's really long in comparison and the other two boat rides don't rely on lots of sets to get their story across; London's has one primary scene and the lift/drop, then you disembark and Edinburgh's has a show scene half-way through the layout which is literally an S bend in layout. To fit a full Dungeons experience within the current building of Charlie, I highly doubt them utilising the boat ride, or if they did, it would be absolutely tiny in comparison. It's not a HUGE building and these scenes together set up quite a lot of space.

The booking page for the season pass originally included a line which said 'Laugh and scream your way through five scenes and a boat ride in the Alton Towers Dungeon' or similar words (I did see a screen shot somewhere but cannot find where). That has now been changed.

This should be a bitesize experience in terms of time, and I'm not sure how worthwhile the time spent on the boat would be compared to show scenes. In saying that, I'd be very curious if it were somehow utilised..

Benenen

Hyper Poster
I'll wait until it's open before I slate it but nothing confirmed so far seems positive. I can't understand who will pay money for this other than the geeks who visit every week who will try it out once.

davidm

Strata Poster
Wouldn't the idea be that they are trying to make the "resort" a multi-day experience so you have to stay over (obviously you don't have to stay over ;) ).
i.e. the comments that it'll take too much out of a day are exactly the point of it.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Wouldn't the idea be that they are trying to make the "resort" a multi-day experience so you have to stay over (obviously you don't have to stay over ;) ).
i.e. the comments that it'll take too much out of a day are exactly the point of it.

Haha I understand what they're trying to do.

What I'm trying to say, is that what I want to do and what THEY want me to do just don't match up.

Lofty

CF Legend
The thing is, I'd be more than happy to spend more than one day at a park that has enough to do (Europa, Phantasialand, Efteling), but Towers just does not cut it. Not to mention ****ty operations, bad customer service and awful opening times. No thanks.

JoshC.

Strata Poster

And this is why I think it'd be much better if it was to open at, say, 2pm, and then close at 8pm. I'd be more compelled to stay in the evening after park close, do it then, then think 'you know what, let's stay the night'. Creates a much better impression of the park than 'oh, I have to stay two days because if I want to do everything, I have to spend at 1/8th of my day doing one attraction' (not including queueing, post attraction faff, etc).

vaugc002

Mega Poster
Ugh it looks so basic. Just a small facade and then fencing.
After visiting some European parks last year, my opinion of AT has dropped considerably, and seeing things like this cements the fact.

Ethan

Strata Poster
My god, this thing just keeps getting better doesn't it. What's the bet that they've skimped on the inside too and all the actors are just cardboard cutouts with a speaker behind?

JoshC.

Strata Poster
My biggest issue is how they've made it look nothing like the Towers.

I get totally why they couldn't put it in the Towers. I can even get their logic for putting it in Charlie. But if you've got the Alton Towers Dungeons, and an area rich in real life history - which can of course be embellished a bit - why not take advantage of that and make it look like a far out ruins of the Towers themselves? It wouldn't have been that different in cost or effort, but would have felt infinitely better.