What's new

High resolution photos for project

frankle

Roller Poster
I'm looking for some very high resolution photos, ideally for B&M track, for my sons school project...... I;ve found a lot online, but low resolution, which look awful when we print in poster size.

Does anyone have pics they are prepared to share, or know of a good online resource with 300dpi or better?

davidm

Strata Poster
Seems the default dpi that I get when I upload pics is 240 (see any of these) - if there is any specific one you would like for school I can see if I can export it in a higher dpi for you?
(suspect my "processed" shots would look quite noisy blown up a lot though)

frankle

Roller Poster
some awesome pics, thanks for sharing... I'll see which he likes and let you know if we need higher resolutions.... just a question of how well they print onto poster size

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
How big of a poster are we talking? I've had several of my photos blown up to A1 size which look fine from a sensible viewing distance. I think you'd probably get away with A0 if you were suitably inclined.

David has provided some great shots there - happy for you to look through my "best of the year" albums here too, which all feature at least one B&M shot:
2016: HERE
2017: HERE
2018: HERE

frankle

Roller Poster
some equally fantastic pics, thank you.

We have been advised it is all about dpi ... and 300dpi is ideal for poster sizes... it'as hard to tell on screen, as I have seen some low res pictures tat look cleaner expanded than high resolution.. I guess ultimately the focus is the key..

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
This isn't my strong point (maybe @Lofty knows more about this sort of thing), but DPI is a kinda nonsense term for digital images (depends on your screen!). It's only in printing that it matters. 300dpi sounds like a very high number for a large poster, too.

For an A1 poster (notionally 23"x33") you're looking at a 6900x9900 pixel image - that's roughly 68 megapixels!
Conversely, if you printed one of my ~21Mpx photos at 300dpi you'd get about 18"x12" - somewhere near A3.

You should (and I have) easily be able to print at more like 150dpi or even less if you're going for bigger and bigger. Ever seen a billboard right up close? They're down at like 50dpi!

Lofty

CF Legend
To be fair, whenever I am designing in PS, I always work at 300dpi. Most of my clients ask for their assets to be designed at this rate - if you wanted to go could go even more than that, but there's really no need as you're not going to see ALL that much difference in it.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
To be fair, whenever I am designing in PS, I always work at 300dpi. Most of my clients ask for their assets to be designed at this rate - if you wanted to go could go even more than that, but there's really no need as you're not going to see ALL that much difference in it.
But when it comes to print media, that's when the DPI matters, right? I always thought 72dpi was the standard for digital, as that was the standard dpi of a monitor (basic Google search suggests even a Macbook Pro only hits 220dpi).

A 4x6cm document at 300dpi will look the same as a 400x600cm document at 3dpi when printed at 40x60cm 30dpi. If that's not true then I'm totally lost. :p

Someone here must understand this stuff. @Joey, maybe? :D

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Ha, does anyone understand, honestly? I’m not convinced.

Dpi is typically only relevant for print, yes, but it is good practise to create images at 300dpi.

Any higher than 300 is kinda pointless. Only really, really state of the art printers can print at 350 or more.

It is, indeed, pretty much irrelevant for digital images. It’s not about quality or image crispness, it’s about scaling.

But not really.

But basically.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

frankle

Roller Poster
I think I have opened a can of worms!. .. thanks for the pics, some really nice shots.... iI'll see which one he likes and get it printed out.
thanks for your help ... much appreciated!