What's new

Tivoli Gardens replaces two coasters

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I bet there's a thousand and one good reasons why not, but I don't think I could ever sign off a replacement like-for-like like this.

Why wouldn't you just put something new [read: good] in?

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I bet there's a thousand and one good reasons why not, but I don't think I could ever sign off a replacement like-for-like like this.

Why wouldn't you just put something new [read: good] in?
If those coasters are highly popular with visitors (notably, families with kids) but too worn to operate without great costs, I could see the sensibility of replacing like for like. After all, a thrillseeker enthusiast is the kind of guests who walks straight from the gate to the exciting coaster, rides it a few times, then walks straight out of the gate again after having spent a few quid at most. Families are the kind of guests who buy parking, meals and merchandise at the park. It makes sense for the park to cater more to the latter group.

Also, it might have something to do with zoning and noise restrictions and the kind of structures they're allowed to build. A like-for-like replacement would presumably not count as a change of the status quo, and thus avoid a lot of paperwork.

cookie

Giga Poster
It seems to be part of a larger effort to update most of the park.

http://nyheder.tv2.dk/samfund/2019-...tsjebaner-og-fornyer-flere-andre-forlystelser (article in Danish)

Fatamorgana is getting a new 'tilt' option, the bumper cars are getting new antennae-free vehicles and of course two coasters are getting replaced (the new kiddie coaster expected to open in April and the Odinekpressen replacement set to open by Christmas 2019).

90f78767-8ad6-4e7f-86ec-ab33843c550c.jpg

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
So are they new creds or not?
I would say for sure the kiddie coaster is, its actually gonna be a different model than the ride its replacing. Going from the Tivoli Smalll model to a Force Zero model. And as far as the powered coaster goes.... Who knows if it'll be the same layout or not (and either way, it would be +1 for me since Odinexpressen was closed when I went with @Joey )

Sandman

Giga Poster
Yeah, I can't see any way that a small ****ty tivoli and an ancient mack powered coaster are enough of a draw to replace with virtually the same coaster. Python at Efteling is different, I don't think the scenario compares well to this, so I'd love to know why they'd opt for this over something new and refreshing for the park.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
I expect it might be planning related with the park being so central in Copenhagen and they'd be quite limited with what they could add in as they're pretty spatially limited. Not majorly surprised with the move but obviously it's not a super exciting bit of news for an enthusiast.

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
The coaster replacing "Odinekspressen" will be a fair bit taller and longer than it's predecessor. But we know it's still a Mack and I think it will still be a powered model as well, it's just that they're updating the layout a bit it seems. This new-gen will also be much quieter and I also know for a fact that Tivoli have been struggling with the maintenance of Odin for a while, so it does make a lot of sense.

- You might ask why they don't replace it with something completely new, but I don't think you quite understand how much this coaster means to the Danish GP.
People where pissed when it was initially revealed the other day that Odin would be torn down and even though it has now been announced that they're just updating the layout a bit, people are still pretty mad.

Lofty

CF Legend
I wouldn't be surprised if powered coasters nowadays also have much better power consumption than their predecessors.

Matt N

CF Legend
Maybe these are being replaced for a similar reason that Universal Orlando retracked Hulk and Efteling retracked Python; the rides might need certain design enhancements or stress fractures might have developed in the track after many years of operation.

Or if it's nothing to do with structural integrity, it could be because the newer models are easier to maintain, and with regards to the powered coaster, I would say that @Lofty's guess about power consumption is a pretty good one, what with how everyone is trying to reduce power consumption nowadays.

Pear

Strata Poster
So that's a nice +2 for me when I eventually go back. Glad I did them both this summer. The powered coaster was actually quite good!