What's new

Dreamland, Margate: New rides for 2018

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Dreamland have announced that 9 new rides are coming to the park over the summer, all new rides from Zamperla.

https://www.kentlive.news/whats-on/whats-on-news/9-amazing-new-rides-coming-1396335.amp

It's not super clear in the article but it kind of suggests that the drop tower is the only one that requires planning permission. "Kent Live understands permission for the eight other rides being introduced is not required, though details have not yet been formally decided by Dreamland."

Notable additions include:

-a replacement mouse that presumably will be permanent and owned by the park this time.

-a "discovery", Zamperla's take on an outward facing pendulum ride

- an air race

-an "endeavour" which is Zamperla's modern take on an enterprise-with restraints and without cages.

-the drop/shot tower.

Interesting.

~~~~

I'm am 90% pleased about this but a little niggling 10% is disappointed they're all new rides. HOWEVER, they have struggled a bit in the past so hopefully this will bring in the punters. Zamperla do some smart looking flats so they should at least look quite nice.

Last edited:

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Ooh, nice! Zamperla seems to be one of the top Flat manufacturers, so hopefully this leads to a bright future!

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Lofty

CF Legend
Really interesting where they've got their money from considering only 2 years ago they were absolutely up **** creek without a paddle.

peep

CF Legend
I'm am 90% pleased about this but a little niggling 10% is disappointed they're all new rides. HOWEVER, they have struggled a bit in the past so hopefully this will bring in the punters. Zamperla do some smart looking flats so they should at least look quite nice.

I agree with all of this. Bit of a shame they've had to slightly dump the historical aspect of the park but if this helps bring in new customers that'd be great to see. Also sounds like a solid choice of attractions.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Is it a pay-per-ride place? I wouldn't be surprised if Zamperla were providing them cheaply (even free) and taking a cut on the ticket sales. They've done it before.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Is it a pay-per-ride place? I wouldn't be surprised if Zamperla were providing them cheaply (even free) and taking a cut on the ticket sales. They've done it before.
Interesting, it could be that. I believe you can do either, either buying a wristband for everything or you can pay £5 entry and they pay for each ride. Currently only the scenic, wheel and dogems are over £3 though. It used to be free to enter but they changed that. Where else have they done that before?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Interesting, it could be that. I believe you can do either, either buying a wristband for everything or you can pay £5 entry and they pay for each ride. Currently only the scenic, wheel and dogems are over £3 though. It used to be free to enter but they changed that. Where else have they done that before?
ME World in South Korea (since closed) and they're running stuff at Coney Island.

Temleh

Mega Poster
Yeah, Zamperla make some great flats. Shame they don't always stick to what they're good at though.

Yeah, making those Spinning Mice coasters which are the second most popular coaster model in the world. Shame they don't stick to what they're good at.
I'm also sure you can tell us first hand what a Zamperla Thunderbolt coaster is like to ride, oh wait - you can't.

Nice to see Dreamland thrown yet another rope, I hope it's a success for them.

Lofty

CF Legend
They're a business, without venturing into new products they wouldn't progress, stagnate and eventually diminish as a company. The fact they try new things and actually GET orders means that they're doing the right thing. So, yeah.

Temleh

Mega Poster
To add to that, imagine if two decades ago Vekoma just went "Yeah, we're rubbish at making coasters we should give up'. Now they have contracts with Disney and are creating some of the most exciting new coasters on the planet (Lech).

Peet

Giga Poster
Dreamland goes from strength to strength against all the odds. Last year after the landscaping etc it was a really nice place to be. This sounds like a solid collection of new rides, wherever this funding is coming from I just pray it continues!

stuart

Roller Poster

The first new ride to be delivered is the 1920's fully restored caterpillar, with new canopy. Their next restoration project is the Junior Whip which will be starting soon.

The park already has a decent line up of restored/vintage rides including the speedway, zodiac jets, waltzer, gallopers, chair-o-plane, twister and double decker.

It was lacking some decent thrill rides since the Huss travelling top spin and enterprise in 2016. The Zamperla rides are park models so should complement the vintage restorations.

Aside from the rides, the events team are doing well so far this year, with Pete Tong, Orbital, PSB etc. and a couple of festivals lined up over the next couple of months.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
The first new ride to be delivered is the 1920's fully restored caterpillar, with new canopy. Their next restoration project is the Junior Whip which will be starting soon.

The park already has a decent line up of restored/vintage rides including the speedway, zodiac jets, waltzer, gallopers, chair-o-plane, twister and double decker.

It was lacking some decent thrill rides since the Huss travelling top spin and enterprise in 2016. The Zamperla rides are park models so should complement the vintage restorations.

Aside from the rides, the events team are doing well so far this year, with Pete Tong, Orbital, PSB etc. and a couple of festivals lined up over the next couple of months.
I miss the enterprise and top spin they were great additions! They even had them listed in the decades as 80s and 90s rides which was cool. I was waiting for some new rides before going back so might actually go now with these new ones plus the vintage ones.

Good to know they're still doing the whip and the caterpillar. Think I read about them a while back but hadn't seen anything for a while.

stuart

Roller Poster
Good to know they're still doing the whip and the caterpillar. Think I read about them a while back but hadn't seen anything for a while.

Yes, the Caterpillar is finished. Can't wait to have a go!

p400.png
21687487-10155858248548203-414253597980261697-n-orig.jpg

TommyAlex

Mega Poster
I think they stopped doing he free entry, pay per ride system recently, for whoever asked above.

Quite honestly I'm surprised they're still working on the caterpillar and whip; I was under the impression everything they bought for the heritage park was beyond repair at this point.

I am dissapointed the heritage theme seems to have dissapeared, again, probably because so much of the stuff they bought is unusable now, like KSM and the cableway (didn't something happen to the cable cars?)

Is the Eneavour replacing the Enterprise, seeing as it's the modern version?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Nothing new about that endeavour thing. Togo made those ages ago. I'd go as far as labelling them a "classic" ride in Japan now.