What's new

Headchoppers and Hands

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Any coaster veteran (or person with common sense) knows that all mainstream amusement parks build their rides carefully, so that any overhead beam or tunnel ceiling will be considerably higher than the fingertips of the tallest person with outstretched arms.

But of course when you hurtle toward a headchopper at high speed, your instincts tell you it looks dangerously close. SO, how many of you still lower your raised arms before heading into a tunnel or under a beam? Or do you fight instinct and keep those arms raised?

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
It is said that you can slam your hands pretty badly on Balder at Liseberg. I trust the guy I heard it from (CF veteran/alumnus loefet), but never tried to check for myself if it was true. I prefer my fingers bent towards the palm of my hand, thanks.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
You can definitely hit the tunnel entrances/exit on Winjas, while we're at it. Hands up for the first drop (after the elevator lift) car drops down in darkness... *slam* go my hands as we exit into the main room where the ride is placed.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Pretty sure, like 99%, that there are rides with headchoppers and "sidechoppers" that can be hit. Wild mouse's, especially Blackpool's (and Olympia Looping if the shoulder restraints weren't there?) come to mind.

Last edited:

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
So, for those of you pointing out that there exist rides on which you can hit your hands, does that mean you pull your arms down on any ride when the train is hurtling toward a low overhang? Or do you gauge your confidence in that given ride and then decide whether or not you can trust it with your arms up all the way through?

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Because I know you can never be 100% sure, I usually lower my hands a bit or hold them forwards when there is a head chopper which looks to close.
Same here. But I usually feel just a little bit silly when I do it, and I thought probably most coaster veterans keep their arms up all the way through.

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
I usually don't put my hands down, but on the tunnel on Beast's double helix, in the left seat, you could absolutely drag your hands across the wood siding.

andrus

Giga Poster
It is said that you can slam your hands pretty badly on Balder at Liseberg. I trust the guy I heard it from (CF veteran/alumnus loefet), but never tried to check for myself if it was true. I prefer my fingers bent towards the palm of my hand, thanks.
Yes, I've heard of this too. And since the clearence on Balder looks pretty close I put my hands down in the tunnels.

I also know from the CF live that you can hit your hands pretty hard on the vegetation over at Helix. And if you're tall enough you can even hit your head(!) if not cearful Odin Expressen at Tivoli Gardens.

Hence I usually pussy out and keep my hands down when things look tight.. :emoji_stuck_out_tongue:

Sythe

Mega Poster
I usually don't put my hands down, but on the tunnel on Beast's double helix, in the left seat, you could absolutely drag your hands across the wood siding.
I know someone who stuck his hand out to the left during the drop into the helix when he was a kid. Apparently he got a major splinter.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Mrsupersonic8

Roller Poster
It doesn't matter how many times I've ridden Ride of Steel...every time the train is entering or exiting the helices I pull down my hands. As you said, it's just instinct. I know the designers would take that into account, but seeing the track/support/tunnel/whatever come flying at me, I still pull my hands down.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
How about those tunnels on The Ultimate at Lightwater Valley? They'd take your hands clean off, they would.

Personally I'm not one for holding my arms up on coasters. Not entirely sure what people get from it to be honest.
I like to relax, go all floppy and let the airtime moments (where applicable) make your arms and legs float up on their own. Now that's fun! :D

BigBad

Mega Poster
I think the reason we hold up our hands is to show (to ourselves, even) that we're not holding on.

Sythe

Mega Poster
For the most part I only hold up my hands during airtime moments. I don't know why, but it's just fun.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

zazobo

Hyper Poster
Interesting thread. My boyfriend is 6ft 5 and often says he's SURE he'll get his hands snapped off on certain coasters. Winjas was one he mentioned. I thought he was being melodramatic... but apparently that's not the case!